RMweb

14t Anchor-mounted tank wagons

Ruston

I've got a pair of O gauge kits for these from POWSIDES and I'm not at all happy with the resin tank mouldings . I'm thinking of making my own tanks from scratch or finding some tube or other to use. The tanks that come with the kit vary in diameter from 45-48mm on one tank alone (see why I'm not happy with it?) so I don't know what they should be! Then there's something I've noticed by looking at photos - the prototype may not of all been made to the same diameter, which could be possible due to the relative weights of the liquids carried, I guess?

Here's a pic of the one at Shildon... I've added the red arrow to show the part of the mount to look at when comparing to the pic I'm going to link to.

post-494-030425000 1283889998_thumb.jpg

Now look at the same spot on the mount on this http://gallery6801.f.../p64216995.html is it just an illusion or is the tank of a smaller diameter on that one?

Does anyone have a works drawing of any of these tanks so I can know what diamter the tank is meant to be and if they were actually different and not an optical illusion?

Any ideas on what I could use for tube if I make my own? I've looked at household objects such as cans and have been looking for plastic pipe in the DIY shop but there's nothing near enough.

I've got a pair of O gauge kits for these from POWSIDES and I'm not at all happy with the resin tank mouldings . I'm thinking of making my own tanks from scratch or finding some tube or other to use. The tanks that come with the kit vary in diameter from 45-48mm on one tank alone (see why I'm not happy with it?) so I don't know what they should be! Then there's something I've noticed by looking at photos - the prototype may not of all been made to the same diameter, which could be possible due to the relative weights of the liquids carried, I guess?

Here's a pic of the one at Shildon... I've added the red arrow to show the part of the mount to look at when comparing to the pic I'm going to link to.

post-494-030425000 1283889998_thumb.jpg

Now look at the same spot on the mount on this http://gallery6801.f.../p64216995.html is it just an illusion or is the tank of a smaller diameter on that one?

Does anyone have a works drawing of any of these tanks so I can know what diamter the tank is meant to be and if they were actually different and not an optical illusion?

Any ideas on what I could use for tube if I make my own? I've looked at household objects such as cans and have been looking for plastic pipe in the DIY shop but there's nothing near enough.

Its too late at night to give a proper answer, but what is it you want to model? There are many different dimensions of barrel. I don't have many of the dimensions that we measured in the 1980s but may be able to help, but first of all what is it you are modelling?

Paul Bartlett

Hi Paul. I haven't decided exactly what the wagon's loads will be yet but it'll be chemical products from tar distillation or tar itself. I'd guess that tar is much heavier than, say, petrol so a railcar carrying 14tons of tar would have a smaller barrel than one (like in my photo) carrying 14 tons of petrol? That's only my guess but when you look at older wagons chemical tanks seem to have smaller diameter barrels mounted on higher saddles when compared with petrol tanks...

Hi Paul. I haven't decided exactly what the wagon's loads will be yet but it'll be chemical products from tar distillation or tar itself. I'd guess that tar is much heavier than, say, petrol so a railcar carrying 14tons of tar would have a smaller barrel than one (like in my photo) carrying 14 tons of petrol? That's only my guess but when you look at older wagons chemical tanks seem to have smaller diameter barrels mounted on higher saddles when compared with petrol tanks...

Dear Dave

I thought that you had a kit already, so that the cradle would dictate what the diameter of the barrel would be.

As you suggest the density of the liquid means that the size of the barrel alters, chemicals such as Nitric and sulphuric acid had high density and small barrels. Some of the variety is illustrated within the SMBP fleet http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/c1628817.html

The 14 ton MTD825 that you linked to had a diameter of 70 1/2 in. whereas the headstocks are 82 in. wide with a wheelbase of 10ft. This compares to 20 ton see Esso 2403 http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/p37158026.html has an approx 88 1/4in diameter barrel also with the headstocks are 82 in. wide with a wheelbase of 10ft.

We discuss the anchor mounted tanks in Bartlett, Paul W. & Fidczuk, Peter (1990) Tank wagons, part 3. NCB anchor mounted tar tank. Model Railways vol. 7 (part 10) pp 533 - 537. Drawing - diag. TS040A NCB 20t Thomas Ness tank. Photograph of this at http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/p437934.html

We have published a few other drawings of anchor mounted wagons. For example in

Bartlett, Paul W. & Mann, T., (1984c) Cross Channel Ferry Wagons used on BR. Model Railway Constructor Annual 1985 pp 18 - 29, edited by Leigh, Chris. Drawings - BR 20t tank diag. 1/ 304 see http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/p58577002.html

Bartlett, P., Larkin, D., Mann, T., Silsbury, R., and Ward, A. (1985) An illustrated history of BR wagons, Volume 1 published by Oxford Publishing Company, 192 pages. Class A Ferry tank 1/305 see http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/p59193288.html

Fidczuk, Peter. (1993b) Air Ministry tank wagons part 2: Post war service. Modellers' Backtrack vol. 3 (part 2) pp 60 - 69. Drawings SMBP 16t Bitumen tank wagon.

I must admit I like the anchor mounted tank wagons, and they are useful way of indicating period as being post war and into the 1960s. So, I was interested in the POW range. However a discussion on the Gauge O Yahoo group dissuaded me of purchasing a kit, because they mentioned how poorly the barrel is cast. I would be interested to know what the other castings are like and what the main dimensions of the kit are - length and width over headstocks and wheelbase.

Regards

Paul Bartlett

Dear Dave

I thought that you had a kit already, so that the cradle would dictate what the diameter of the barrel would be.

I do but making the mounts to fit an alternative size won't be a great problem seeing how I've already had to make other parts myself.

I must admit I like the anchor mounted tank wagons, and they are useful way of indicating period as being post war and into the 1960s. So, I was interested in the POW range. However a discussion on the Gauge O Yahoo group dissuaded me of purchasing a kit, because they mentioned how poorly the barrel is cast. I would be interested to know what the other castings are like and what the main dimensions of the kit are - length and width over headstocks and wheelbase.

I'll take some measurements of the kit and post some photos in my layout thread for you when I get around to getting on with them. I've got one rolling chassis now and that appears fine (but I've not measured it) although the brake rigging castings are quite obviously for a 9-foot wheelbase wagon and I've had to do some cutting and making m own parts there already. In all a very poor kit for the money. I only wish I'd known about how poor the barrel castings were before purchase!

Thanks for the info and I'll refer back to this thread for the links when I come to do something about it.

Archived