Help to ID an O Gauge kit built Jubilee

Trains4U

Hi,

I've acquired an O gauge Kit built Jubilee. (V nice - Newfoundland in LMS Maroon)

I have no idea what brand of kit it is.

It appears to be quite old and is not up to DJH standards of detail. It is certainly not Basset lowke.

I can find no identifying marks and it has me stumped (Not being an O gauge expert)

Sorry about the quick'n'dirty photos...

post-40-075464200 1283892040_thumb.jpg

post-40-062392700 1283892061_thumb.jpg

Any 7mm boffins out there know what it is?

It look very simaler to a friends who recently died but is not his as I know where that went. If it is its a CCW kit from the 1960's the wheels are CCW anyway so it may be a scratch built loco as most items from around that time were scratch as there were not many kits, these came in the 70's and I think the loco is older than that. If it is a kit it might be one of Jidenco's early ones that came as most O scale without wheels or motor as indeed most still do.

hope this helps

mike g

• RMweb Premium

I sold a similar one on behalf of the estate of a club member a couple of years ago. The main question is what is the body made of. Is is heavy thick white metal or thin fairly lightweight brass. If It's whitemetal I would also go for CCW.

Jamie

If It's whitemetal I would also go for CCW.

Not all CCW's kits were white metal....in the case of this one it could be a Dawson kit that was marketed by CCW , these kits being stamped out of ( If I recall rightly ) nickel silver sheet producing a kit that was perhaps the O gauge equivalent of the Eames Jamieson kits in 4mm scale.

I think that some Dawson kits were brass as I have seen a S15 that was made from one. CCW did do some brass parts for the scratch builder that could almost be described as a kit of basic body parts. The other alternative could be one of the early Home Of O gauge kits that I think appeared in the 1970's that had brass body parts already cut out and NS chasis parts that were basic shape and needed some finishing to complete.

The wheels are definatly CCW as they had the romford type nut to secure the wheels and they appear to be standard scale profile not FS which I think Wednessbury wheels always were if supplied turned.

It looks a nice model does it run well?

regards

mike g

I have a nickel silver jubilee that was purchased and marketed in CCW boxes. The chimney and dome I am certain are lost wax brass.

Don't know if that is of any help. My thoughts also that the CCW kit is a 7mm version similar to a Jamieson kit in construction as per Crewe North's suggestion.

Pete

Archived