Howes class 165 networker turbo sound chip

big jim

• RMweb Gold

here's something new from bryan at howes, this time a class 165 or 166 networker turbo sound chip.

this is only a test chip but if anyone is interested then it is available from howes if you ask, it is not shown on the website though.

i popped round to bryans with a load of sounds i recorded from a 165 in aylesbury and he very kindly put hem onto a chip for me, the engine is exactly the same as a class 158, a 350hp perkins, so bryan used his 158 chip as the basis for the turbo chip so it was just a case of changing the ancillary sounds....

The horns were changed for the sharper 165 sounds.

Door open sounds were recorded from inside the coach and you can hear the bell before the doors slide open.

1-2 Guards buzzer (for north of banbury!!), this is close doors signal, you also get the drivers acknowlegement back.

Door closing buzzers are heard before the doors slide shut and there is a double "clunk" as the doors slam

another guard-driver buzzer is heard, this time a 2 (ready to go) which is acknowleged quite quickly and away we go!!

hopefully when bryan get a bit more time he may be able to add a few more functions to the chip, this one is specifically configured to fit on a 1 minute chip (as thats what i thought i had fitted) but a 2 minute chip should allow futher sounds including the P.A "ding d0ng", drivers announcements and more maybe even include the atp setting up when the key is inserted!!

anyway, heres the video, hope you enjoy it, not the best quality as the phone i use now is not as good as the old one and is not as loud

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03KqSQ5JlNY

the repainted unit itsself featured in another thread but if you haven't seen it here it is:

04092010896.jpg

• RMweb Premium

165/166 hav Perkins TWH2000 engines at 350bhp. Some Phase 2 158s 158824-158862 I think, also have this engine. Both units shares the same Voith T211r and Germander final drives.

From the posts on You Tube I'm not sure if either the Howes or SWD 158 chips are recorded from a Cummins NT855R (rail horizontal version of the N14) engine, which is oh so common in Scotrail, EMT, SWT and Northern Rail fleets.

I'm not sure about the external sounds for either type but the internal engine sounds are quite different between the Cummins 158s and the Perkins 165/166 units - I have recorded trips in both types during 1999 when I was last over in the UK.

That's not to denigrate Bryan's sound chips as I have the 158 one myself - Bryan very kindly gave me an extra engine start on a function key so i could install it in either a two or a three car 158/159.

• RMweb Premium

That sounds cool to have that option which also applies to Transpennine 3 car Class 158s too and the current 3 car 158s used by Northern Rail on York-Blackpool services.

It's good to be able to get DCC sound for 158s. I've a several to convert, just wish had funds to progress.

• RMweb Gold

i think i'm getting a bit mixed up with engines, either way the engine sounds on the 165 are the corrct ones (ie perkins), heres a reply from bryan....

my 158 definitely had a perkins engine, I checked the sound files, they sound nothing like the Cummins on my 150 so my 158 will do for the 165 and 166 according to my loco book, and the 168 will do for the 170 as they both have MTU engines.

If anyone wants a 158 with cummins NT855R engine as on my 150 I can use a 150 base and put all the 158 ancilliary sounds on it.

hope that clear up a bit of confusion!!

• RMweb Premium

The clarification is excellent.

Only thing I'd suggest is the 158 and 159 units with Cummins engines would sound different from this engines installation on the 158. The installation on the 150/153/155/156 are turbocharged at 285bhp. For the 158 the engine was uprated to 350bhp via intercooling. On the 159 (and 158863-158872) these where further uprated to 400bhp. Also for the 90mph maximum speed the final

drives where regeared.

Imagine the 168 sounds could be used on a 172 should A model ever become available.

As an aside there was an article in Modern Railways that considered fitting the latest 525bhp version on this engine to the 158 / 159. This would lift the maximum speed to 125mph if driven hard! Who needs a Class 180 or 220!

Archived