Scale 7 Group August Newsletter

PhilEakins

It's almost as if it were planned. :)

The August GOG journal contains an article on point building by Derek Munday who confirms that chairs for wing rail and crossing noses are not commercially available - well there would have to be an awful lot of versions to cope with all the possible variations and would hardly be a viable prospect. However, Paul Pen-Sayers in the S7N shows us how to easily fabricate (ie butcher together from available products) most of those chairs using a simple jig and a bit of arithmetic. Just the thing for maintaining those 1:20 rail cants through the point. I now need to work out how to apply the method to the crossing nose chairs.

What else? Some very nice words and pictures to inspire us - and a rather strange blank half page! Mr Bootman continues with the trials and tribulations of the East Anglia group, and Cor de Jong tells us about the Dutch group, amongst others.

Phil

It's almost as if it were planned. :)

The August GOG journal contains an article on point building by Derek Munday who confirms that chairs for wing rail and crossing noses are not commercially available - well there would have to be an awful lot of versions to cope with all the possible variations and would hardly be a viable prospect. However, Paul Pen-Sayers in the S7N shows us how to easily fabricate (ie butcher together from available products) most of those chairs using a simple jig and a bit of arithmetic. Just the thing for maintaining those 1:20 rail cants through the point. I now need to work out how to apply the method to the crossing nose chairs.

What else? Some very nice words and pictures to inspire us - and a rather strange blank half page! Mr Bootman continues with the trials and tribulations of the East Anglia group, and Cor de Jong tells us about the Dutch group, amongst others.

Phil

For the check rail chairs, Len at Exactoscale has said they are the next 7mm chairs, but don't hold your breath (which I guess is what Paul Pen-Sayers was told also). The only thing I'd mention is that the drawings have I for check rail chairs show they have 4 bolts not 2 or 3 fixing to the timbers. I'm using Midland chairs for these for that reason. It's the same for many of the specials around the crossing.

There are several problems with check rail chairs - there are three types needed for a point with 'bent rail' entry check rails, handed ends and the middle chairs which must then allow for gauge widening if we stick to prototype methods.

Thanks for the tip about the Midland chairs Richard, I've been considering bridge chairs for the specials, but they are a bit pricey to carve up.

Phil

Archived