Rugby area late 40s to early 60s photos...

I'm not at all surpised about Eric's little 'bump',these things used to happen all the time back then and no one got into trouble, well not much anyway by all accounts. Aubrey Wilson rings a bell, Griff was talking about him the other day when he was telling me about the jobs Rugby men had with the early AC electrics. Mr Burchill is another familiar name too.

Here's another batch of men and locos at Rugby...

A new oil tank is put in at the shed, the carriage shed and station's roof girders are on the left... just look how wide the loco sheds were, 25 roads in all...

post-7638-095318400 1286036746_thumb.jpg

Patriot 45500 outside the shed during a British Legion related ceremony...

post-7638-045903000 1286036833_thumb.jpg

Big 'un 46233 Duchess Of Sutherland on shed...

post-7638-079163100 1286036883_thumb.jpg

Local Ivatt 4MT 43005 poses on shed...

post-7638-079396800 1286036926_thumb.jpg

Local Super D...

post-7638-093946100 1286036992_thumb.jpg

A V2 heads south on the GC line (looks like 60867 on the print), with the Loco Testing Plant shown through the bridge......

post-7638-032244200 1286037052_thumb.jpg

Standard Class 5MT just coming off the shed alongside the Up Harborough line...

post-7638-080339300 1286037155_thumb.jpg

Bill Warriner (standing) and unknown driver on a Jubilee outside the shed...

post-7638-046940500 1286037238_thumb.jpg

More soon ;)

Nidge

• RMweb Premium

Nidge,

A bit of a long shot I know, but; during the period 1962/65 (as a 9 / 12 year old) I used to ride on the cab of the Bletchley Station Pilot, 47500 / 47521 and D3795 / D3796 and the Drivers name was George. I've forgotten his surname and wondered if you or one of your ex Rugby Men would know? George came from (I seem to recall) either Scotland or Chester. He was no longer working the mainline at that time.

Nidge,

A bit of a long shot I know, but; during the period 1962/65 (as a 9 / 12 year old) I used to ride on the cab of the Bletchley Station Pilot, 47500 / 47521 and D3795 / D3796 and the Drivers name was George. I've forgotten his surname and wondered if you or one of your ex Rugby Men would know? George came from (I seem to recall) either Scotland or Chester. He was no longer working the mainline at that time.

I'll certainly ask around for you PT ;)

Jinty 47500 rings a bell by the way... there's at least one published photo of it at Bletchley, in one of the Defiant Publications 'British Railways Steaming on the London Midland Region' volumes.

Nidge

Hi Nidge,

As a frequent visitor to Rugby since the 1980's I'm always amazed at just how much it has changed in 20 odd years!

I have read a lot of books which show just what a large and intensive place Rugby Midland was.

I am interested in the loco shed and testing station - are there any track plans available I wonder to illustrate the extent of trackwork?

I am sure I have also read that there was a works there as well as a shed?

See you soon matey!

Treeb

Nidge,

What is the building still standing OPPOSITE the post-office depot? Looks like a row of terraces with green sheeting over the rear, and faces the station retaining wall London side. Was it part of the depot?

Linky below from Google maps;

http://i293.photobuc...ssexr/rugby.png

Guy

Afternoon Gents ;)

Guy - that brick building is the last remnant of the old carriage shed, it was the office / mess block which was built onto the rear end of the shed as I recall. The south facing wall of the loco shed almost butted up to it I think.

Big T - There's a track plan of the shed in LMS days on the Wild Swan book on LMS sheds I think, I'm sure I've seen it somewhere recently. It consisted of two very large 'northlight roof' sheds with another much taller gable ended workshop in the middle. The other 'Works' building that is sometimes referred to in books was a large three road structure on a lower level than the main shed, the site of which is now the DED, currently occupied by Colas Rail. I think I have some pics of it somewhere... more digging required!

HTH

Nidge ;)

I presume you blokes know about http://rugbympd.com/ - an excellent site covering Rugby MPD in steam days.

Great photos by the way - many thanks for posting them!

Some nice photo's on that site mate, thanks for sharingcool.gif I wasn't aware of that site!

Looks like a B1 in one photo crossing Butlers Leap on the now extinct earthworks on the GC. But it's heading North I believe smile.gif (Bailey family album). Rare photo.

Nice work!

• 5 months later...

It may be one of the least important railway matters there is but to clarify for anyone who needs it: 'Pic 10 - a Stanier 2-6-4T (or is it a Fairburn?) alongside Black 5 45237 with an earth fault . . . ' is in reference to a Stanier 2-6-4T rather than a Fairburn - the series 42537 to 42672 (inclusive) were of the Stanier 2-cylinder variety 2-6-4T. Not perfect pics, no, but better than some of mine and well worth showing.

There were several Midland 2F 0-6-0s shedded at Rugby Midland in late steam days including both the 4'11" and 5'3" driver varieties (I like the big wheeled ones myself). I think the last holdout of the 2Fs would have been Coalville - where they were kept for working the Leicester, West Bridge branch through the notoriously restrictive Glenfield tunnel.

Re photo of (possibly) 60867 at Rugby - That engine was a long time Peterborough loco so very unlikely to have been seen on this part of the GC. The more likely candidate for my money would be 60967 working from York shed. The was an occasional visitor to Woodford Halse and it also had the outside steam pipes as seen in the photograph here.

I do have photos of this loco (also) passing through Rugby and on shed at Woodford Halse, both with the number clearly visible, but the image criteria is outside the RMweb limits. Plus the fact I am not a railwayman, nor ever have been, would mean I would be posting pics under false pretenses.

Archived