London Road Models

Jol Wilkinson

London Road Models will have two new kits available at Scaleforum on 25 September, for the LNWR Large Bloomers 2-2-2s.

Separate kits are available for the original McConnell Southern Division versions and for the later Webb rebuilds. The McConnell version includes the SWB tender, while the Webb kit has the modified LWB tender with water scoop. The attached photos show models built from the test etches and are laking some of the final production modifications and castings.

Full details should soon be on the LRM online catalogue pages, hosted by the Scalefour Society, at www.londonroadmodels.co.uk.

post-1191-039011900 1285073064_thumb.jpg

post-1191-037155900 1285073098_thumb.jpg

They look very refined (both the kit and prototype). I was intrigued to learn of the replica under - rather sedate - construction at Tyseley. The livery is splendidly Victorian and somewhat nattier (dare I say more attractive? Sorry Jol) than the rather sombre black I generally associate with the LNWR.

Adam

They look very refined (both the kit and prototype). I was intrigued to learn of the replica under - rather sedate - construction at Tyseley. The livery is splendidly Victorian and somewhat nattier (dare I say more attractive? Sorry Jol) than the rather sombre black I generally associate with the LNWR.

Adam

Ah, the livery. Having spent some time researching it, it seems that the actual livery is not well understood. Mid green (although the exact shade is unclear) with simple black lining is the popular view, although other lining options seem to have been used, particularly on the earler versions. Some were (possibly) painted dark red, but the claim that vermilion was used is now pretty well regarded as a myth.

As for LNWR Blackberry Black being sombre, never!

Jol

I would have thought there were enough BR lined black enignes running on preserved lines to scotch that one. The livery was a delight to behold in the 1950s and must have really looked well in LNWR days.

Of course, the LNWR contrasted their "simple" black loco livery with one of the most outstanding and attractive carriage liveries. Are some modellers put off the pre-group era by a belief that they can't reproduce these delightful paint schemes?

Jol

Of course, the LNWR contrasted their "simple" black loco livery with one of the most outstanding and attractive carriage liveries. Are some modellers put off the pre-group era by a belief that they can't reproduce these delightful paint schemes?

Jol

Frankly, yes!

One day I do intend building a pre-group layout, although it may be freight only for that very reason!

The kit looks fantastic by the way, I could one day be tempted.

Be fair Larry, I didn't say that I dislike sombre, nor that I find it unattractive! It was the best adjective to hand - but not quite right. I do agree with Jol that a rake of matching carriages balanced the black of the engines very nicely and lined black is both sensible and stylish as a steam locomotive livery - I happen to prefer a bit of contrast (which the coaches provide) that's all. Some loco's were better served by it that others too: black would suit the neat lines of the Webb rebuild very well, but perhaps not the rather more ornate McConnell original which, with it's elaborate dome and safety valve covers almost demands something more ostentatious - and rather more difficult to paint...

Adam

Following a fairly busy Saturday at S4um, the initial batch of McConnell Large Bloomers sold out, although Webb Rebuilds are still available.

This was a slight surprise as it was expected that the later Webb version would be more popular. Just goes to show that there is nothing so unpredictable as customers. :D

• 6 months later...

New from London Road Models is a 4mm etched brass kit for the GNR/LNER six wheel tender to Doncaster diagram R13.

This “sandwich framed†tender with inside springs was originally used with passenger locos but as they became superseded by later Stirling and Ivatt tender designs they were often demoted to use with goods locos. The R13 tender can, for example, be used with the LRM GNR C1 conversion etch for the J4 0-6-0 kit to create the 1031, 1081 and 1091 class versions.

The accompanying photo shows the R13 tender assembled from the test etches. The kit also includes the cast water filler, handrail knobs, etc. Both GNR and LNER brake shoes/hangers, pull rods, etc. are included.

Priced at £35, plus £2.00 P&P, the kit is now available from London Road Models, PO Box 643, Watford WD24 5ZJ.

post-1191-0-75578100-1302786221_thumb.gif

Looks loveley, slightly off topic is there any news on when the B16 might appear?

I haven't been involved in the development of the updates for the B16 so can't give a definitive answer.

John Redrup was talking to the project advisor (a former magazine editor) at S4N last weekend but as I was busy talking to a potential customer at the time I don't know what was discussed.

As soon as there is some news, I'll post it on here.

Jol

• 2 weeks later...

London Road models are now retailing a new 4mm etched kit for the LNWR heavy goods B/E classes. The three cylinder B class 0-8-0 compounds were introduced in 1901 and generally lasted until 1932, most being rebuilt into G class. In 1904, some B class were converted to 2-8-0 and designated as E class.

The kit, designed and manufactured by Nick Easton as part of his BIWO (Because I Want One) range will produce either version and is available with the LRM 1800 or 2000 gallon tender kits, or the BIWO 2500 gallon tender kit. The BIWO kits differ from LRM kits in several respects, including the use of resin, rather than white metal, castings.

The kit is priced at £115, including postage from London Road Models, PO Box 643, Watford WD24 5ZJ. or at selected shows.

Note that this kit does not appear in LRM's online catalogue, hosted by the S4 Society, .

Oh dear Jol.

This sounds like one we'll need for 'Clarendon'.

I can't make it to Expo EM, and i shall be visiting John G. in Austria when Railex is on. That leaves plenty of time to save up before Scaleforum.

Save one for me smile.gif

Cheers

Andy

• 3 months later...

BIWO etched kits.

London Road Models have been retailing the "BIWO" 4mm kit for the LNWR Class B and E, with 2500 gallon tender.

Originally built as B class 4 cylinder compound 0-8-0s, some were converted to E class 2-8-0s (details can be found at http://www.lnwrs.org.uk/GoodsLocos/Loco11.php)

“Because I Want One†kits have been designed and produced by Nick Easton to meet his own wish for models that weren’t available elsewhere, while John Redrup of London Road Models has built up a reputation as the main supplier of 4mm kits for the L&NWR modeller.

To support both LRM’s customers and Nick’s efforts in producing some of the missing links for the LNWR, John has been retailing these BIWO B/E kits for Nick at shows and through LRM mail order (although they do not appear in the LRM online catalogue hosted by the Scalefour Society). LRM were not involved in the design, specification or manufacturing of BIWO kits and there are therefore some differences in the design philosophy and materials used, when compared to LRM’s LNWR kits, especially those more recently introduced.

There are now only a few of the initial batch left and no further kits will be produced in the foreseeable future. If you want one, it's time to act! The kit is priced at £115.00 (inc P&P) from Lonodon Models, PO Box 643, Watford. Herts. WD24 5ZJ.

LRM will also be at ExpoEM North and Scaleforum, but cannot guarantee they will have any BIWO kits left. However, there will be several new LRM kits of interest to LNWR modellers. More news on these in a couple of weeks.

Jol

Archived