Modern Locomotives Illustrated

birdseyecircus

It was meant to be jovial, afterall 1948 when 10000 left works is a lifetime ago. I was in my late teens when someone coined the phrase 'Modern Image'. Image was all the rage especially with politicians so it makes me chuckle when steam and diesel locos were being built in parallel up until 1960 yet one is regarded as modern. Diesel and electrics are only modern in the sense that they enable reductions in workforce, which of course is the driving foce of modernisation, mechanisation, call it what you will.

I've wondered off course so I'll go back to bed now....:D

I picked up a copy today. Very interesting edition and there certainly appears to be some previously unpublished photos in there.

The 'scale' drawings are indeed the same as those in the OPC 'British Rail Main Line Diesel Locomotives' book and should therefore be treated with a little caution.

The GA of the Metropolitan-Vickers Gas Turbine is a true work of art though...!

Steph

• RMweb Premium

nice pic of 10201/2 in multiple on the 'royal scot'. there was a thread on here a while back about the 'multiple-ness' of the protoypes - this pic shows these two with the gangways connected and the mu cable connected to a socket under a flap next to the gangway, stating the jumper cable was stored in the loco when not in use.

• RMweb Premium

Reading the section on 10800 in its later incarnation as 10800 RESEARCH LOCOMOTIVE (HAWK), the usual mention is made of test runs on the GC mainline and the Gotham branch.

However, I can personally vouch for the fact that the loco ventured south down the Midland mainline, at least as far as Wigston Magna.

One lunch break a very surprised group of school lads at Guthlaxton Grammar School, Wigston, found a strange light green loco sitting in the Up bay platform of Wigston Magna station on a test train; (immediately next to the school playing field). Several earnest-looking boffins were standing around on the platform.

Whether it ventured further south or was turned on the Wigston triangle I cannot say, (the afternoon school bell rang), but it had gone by afternoon break.

At that time few, if any of us, had heard of 10800, so it was all rather odd!!

Later, reports emerged of tests of a new 'squirrel cage' rectifier, but that was way over our heads.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Hi guys,

might be a wrong caption but in 'British Rail Mainline Diesel Locomotives' by Marsden and Fenn there is a picture on page 47 of this loco on a mixed freight train coming off the LMR line into Oxford of all places in 1958

however it also states in the editorial piece for this loco that it underwent testing in Scotland and London Area, plus was allocated to Plaistow shed for Southern work.

Hope this helps.

cheers

Dave

Dapol Ltd

• RMweb Premium

Hi guys,

might be a wrong caption but in 'British Rail Mainline Diesel Locomotives' by Marsden and Fenn there is a picture on page 47 of this loco on a mixed freight train coming off the LMR line into Oxford of all places in 1958

however it also states in the editorial piece for this loco that it underwent testing in Scotland and London Area, plus was allocated to Plaistow shed for Southern work.

Hope this helps.

cheers

Dave

Dapol Ltd

Dave,

Are you referring to 10800? My comments re testing relate to its later use as a test loco; surely yours refer to the loco in its original state?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of which, can anyone tell me what lives on the top of the roof cut-out at cantrail level on both sides of the Fell? The drawings in this mag (and every other book/magazine I've seen) show just an empty 'shelf'. There is one that's tantilizingly close in the Modern Locos Illustrated magazine, but doesn't quite show it. :angry:

I'm presuming that this was the location for the steam heat boiler fillers (the tanks seem to be directly below here) - but I can't find any diagram or photo that shows the detail. Anyone help? - I'm trying to complete my A1 kit you see...

Cheers.

Archived