Sticky point motors

• RMweb Premium

I used 'Servisol' electrical switch cleaner on the Peco blades many years ago on a previous layout where I hadn't wired the frogs.The Peco motors were all directly mounted. Next morning the motors were all hanging down as adhesive in the points had been dissolved! Never again! (Maybe the formula has changed now but I wouldn't risk it anywhere near points!)

When I still used SEEPs and Peco motors. (I'm a Tortoise fanatic now) I would clean with IPA (isopropyl alcohol not beer to those of the smartarsed persuasion) then a short blast with WD40. I can report that Peco and SEEP motors thus treated have not exploded, corroded, imploded, or seized in any way. Some date from 1979 and are still in service on a friend's exhibition layout.

Jenny

I have used WD40 in the past and found it needs to be reapplied about once a year in general and sometimes a bit more frequently on badly aligned solenoids (they are not easy to align). I tend to use Tri-Flow 'with Teflon' that comes in an aerosol now (which I got from a model shop) which does not appear to need to be reapplied so often.

For those who still want to go down the 'oil' track, remember the 'Singer' sewing machine oil is a high end product at a reasonable price, and is available world wide.

Consider a household sewing machine, used intensively for a burst of curtain making then stored away for months on end. I have used it for clockwork mechanisms, firearms and multi-point door lock systems with entire satisfaction.

Doug

Archived