Atlas Genset

alcoRS1

I order 2 UP Gensets, I holding off on the others until I see some more pictures, the light are detail so far only seem correct for UP.

I order mine for $74.99 from www.ModelTrainStuff.com or google MBKlien, this guy ships world wide, and has some of the best prices around. Is very well respected and recommended in the Internet US train Market.

PS he has a good supply of gensets.

I'm a little confused, are there two "standards" of Gensets or is one just DC the other DCC?

Best, Pete.

The current Genset sold by Atlas is DC, with an 8 pin plug to add a DCC decoder.

There has been some problems with the boarder and MRC Tech 3 and 6 power packs.

the loco as DC does not run on DCC.

some guy found that removing the capacitors frees up spare for a larger decoder and removes all prior problems

see link for more information

i have done this with one of my Gensets, and it runs wonderfully.

Warren, first item on this page

http://www.microscal...ory_Code=NEWRLS

-i if you haven't already seen it. Thanks to a very nice gent on the very big island down south one turned up as a surprise package lettered for Erie RR this morning - decoration for 149th Srreet

awesome, yep I have seen them, and thinking of getting it with UP, BNSF, BN GN, NP this should be all I need

Guys,

Here's what the Gensets look like, of course as you can see, this one is in the right livery. :D :D :D :D

Cheers, Tony

Tony are you planning on super detail it, and making it at least correct, moving the sand filler to the side, change the fuel tank, if the prototypical one might have a round fuel tank.

Of all the Gensets made by atlas, only one is correct, that is UPY 2709, UPY 2707 has a round fuel tank. I plan on renumbering my UP 2707 to either 2717 or 2757, the it will be correct. I want to put mess across the side vents, put plate on the walkways replace the handrail and last but not least add a few extra details.

There's a couple of images of the Overland version (same loco as Tony's prototype!) on the RS Tower thread, Neil Roper from our group ordered that before the Atlas one was announced, sods law it turned out to be the same design Atlas picked!

I haven't checked prototype pics but i'd expect a higher level of proto-authenticity on the Overland, but then considering the price differential i'd bloomin' well hope so! ;)

What I was surprised (and it doesn't seem to come over in pics) at when having a play with the Overland one was just how big it is, i'd expected something geep sized but it's about the same length as an SD45!

Ouch, Sorry it was $700.00 not $900.00 - I'll delete my original message.

I've got to say that they look exceptional - are the OMI's totally accurate?????

Best, Pete.

no you are correct, most place sell them for $900, list price is $929, I just went shopping around for mine.

as for accurate and details, the OMI I have is very close to the real loco, in fact form the photos I found of the real loco, I cannot see any difference other than dirt.

If I can workout on how to modify the atlas fronts end to be more correct, I will use those for my 3GS21B fleet, but I would not mind another BNSF OMI to go with my current so they can consist together.

Tony are you planning on super detail it, and making it at least correct, moving the sand filler to the side, change the fuel tank, if the prototypical one might have a round fuel tank.

If I get to take detail images myself, then yes. But its doubtful that that will ever happen being that I'm miles away from where they are rostered. I'd like to, in fact prior to the OMI and now Atlas versions I was seriously considering a scratch build. So I'll continue with my MT6 slug.

Cheers, Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Archived