Copper plating a brass chimney

I had a similar problem last year, but couldn't find a source of copper sulphate in small quantities. However, I also needed to copper plate a white metal chimney. For this I used a 'copper patina' solution intended for colouring the lead/solder supports used in stained glass. I got mine from www.tempsfordstainedglass.co.uk but there are other sources. It turned out that this solution contains an unidentified selenium compound, nitric acid and copper sulphate, so I tried using it with an AA battery and a piece of copper pipe to plate a brass chimney and found that it worked very well. So, one solution worked for both brass and white metal. Examples of both metals can be seen in my workshop blog on the Buffalo and Dean goods.

As to how you do it, there are many articles on the web, mostly about industrial processes, but this one is a good start to home use.

Nick

Try the net or U tube for simple methods like vinegar and salt , or copper sulphate electroplating, they are outlined for home uses. The salt solutions are self plating on steel, and may not work on brass, but the electroplate methods will work OK on brass. Copper sulphate is easily bought on the net, or from chemical suppliers. It is toxic in strong solutions, be careful about disposal.

Stephen.

I had a similar problem last year, but couldn't find a source of copper sulphate in small quantities. However, I also needed to copper plate a white metal chimney. For this I used a 'copper patina' solution intended for colouring the lead/solder supports used in stained glass. I got mine from www.tempsfordstainedglass.co.uk but there are other sources. It turned out that this solution contains an unidentified selenium compound, nitric acid and copper sulphate, so I tried using it with an AA battery and a piece of copper pipe to plate a brass chimney and found that it worked very well. So, one solution worked for both brass and white metal. Examples of both metals can be seen in my workshop blog on the Buffalo and Dean goods.

As to how you do it, there are many articles on the web, mostly about industrial processes, but this one is a good start to home use.

Nick

Try Ebay, lots of suppliers of small quantities of Copper Sulphate powder on there , £2 upwards, some are fertiliser grade, some lab grade, check the descriptions.

Try Ebay, lots of suppliers of small quantities of Copper Sulphate powder on there , £2 upwards, some are fertiliser grade, some lab grade, check the descriptions.

Thanks for the tip, Stephen. I'll know where to look next time, but I've probably now got a lifetime supply for plating chimneys :)

Nick

Archived