RMweb

HULL TRAM CROSSINGS

micknich2003

There were in all, six places in Hull where the trams crossed the railway on the level. These were Anlaby Road, Springbank, Beverley Road,Holderness Road,Hessle Road and Newington, the later also being on Anlaby Road.Tram signals and catch points worked by the signalman where provided at all of these except Anlaby Road. The railway through the level crossings was unusualy laid with flat bottom rail on waybeams, also the rails were not cut just noched to allow the passage of the tram car wheels. The later by the way were centre flanged.

Two pictures of Botanic Crossing on Springbank attached.

There where flat crossings elswhere in the UK but I'm unaware of the exact locations. Also one of the Australian cities had a few, further complicated by both the railway and tramway being electrified but at different voltages. Mick Nicholson

post-702-026091100 1286036735_thumb.jpg

post-702-003123700 1286036791_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Mick,

one such crossing is at Glenhuntly Rd, Glenhuntly, where the Frankston-Flinders St Railway cross the tram tracks. (A suburb of Melbourne). I dont have a photo but is here is a giggle view and you can see a tram to the left of the railway line

Peter

post-6942-001325000 1286102361_thumb.jpg

There was a further twist to the Hull Tramway system, they had there own signal box controlling a tramway Junction, and complete with semaphore signals. A couple of pictures attached, as can be seen the signal box bore little resemblance to its railway counterpart and was a typical late Victorian municipal building. The signals just visible in the second view are the same as those used at the railway crossings. Best Wishes, Mick Nicholson.

post-702-085896200 1286102063_thumb.jpg

post-702-025243200 1286102124_thumb.jpg

There was a further twist to the Hull Tramway system, they had there own signal box controlling a tramway Junction, and complete with semaphore signals. A couple of pictures attached, as can be seen the signal box bore little resemblance to its railway counterpart and was a typical late Victorian municipal building. The signals just visible in the second view are the same as those used at the railway crossings. Best Wishes, Mick Nicholson.

Hi Mick,

I think that tramway signal box and its signals were specifically to control access to the single track section in Midland Street connecting the Anlaby Road and Hessle Road routes rather than control the junctions at either end in the railway sense...

Paul

Hi Mick,

I think that tramway signal box and its signals were specifically to control access to the single track section in Midland Street connecting the Anlaby Road and Hessle Road routes rather than control the junctions at either end in the railway sense...

Paul

The signal box had a 5 lever frame, all being in use. Somewhere I have a full description, three signals arms were worked plus the facing points Anlaby Road + Hessle Road, the other two points in typical tramway fashion being either "Open" or "Sprung". From memory, the remaining lever worked the overhead traction wire "Points". Mick Nicholson.

Archived