Filming preserved railways

Leicester Thumper

Hi all,

after being given a camcorder by my uncle (damn good quality corder too!) I thought That i would like a go at filming trains in particular preserved railways.

Now I wanted to know is there a legal do and don'ts thing around for it? I know that permission may be needed for platform recording but how do i obtain lineside passes? (GCR website led to no avail) I thought about the implications of a platform shot inparticular young families which to me is an important thing to avoid.

Also if you have had any experiance filming from the lineside using the passes system and such, how did you find it? and is it an expensive game?

many thanks,

Bruce.

• RMweb Gold

Due to several past incidents with foolhardy photographers the Mid Hants Railway is one which does not issue lineside passes. There are no restrictions on filming from platforms and other areas where the public are allowed such as the loco shed yard.

GCR website led to no avail

Perhaps a little patience might have got you here.

As a GCR working volunteer as well as a working profesional photographer, I'd like to ask you to think if you really need to go lineside. Yes we do offer permits but this is not a railway playground. Things will not happen at your convenience, you cannot ask for a repeat, you cannot wander around at will as on a charter. You do need to exercise great awareness of both yourself and your surroundings. I am aware that in talking to anonomous-interweb-you that you may have great experience of lineside safety at greater speeds or complexity but the same degree of sense should apply. If you find my words offputting or overbearing please remember I am not saying no, I am asking you to consider your actions. You will be responsible for yourself and your actions and given the herd-like behaviour of linesiders you may have to unofficially police the behaviour of those around you. Remember this is a priviledge not a right. Abuse it and you and potentially all others lose it.

Having read and hopefully understood the permit regulations, I would suggest the following: get to know your equipment inside out and carry only what you need - if you understand it you don't need a 4-volume instruction manual and as for battery chargers just where would you expect to plug in, badgers don't use 13amp. Strip your kitbag down to a minimum. Also choose your bag carefully. Backpacks are great but increase your personal loading guage, weigh you down, alter your balance and obscure your high-viz. Yes you will be issued with a traceable vest. Know what you want and if it is achievable within the rules and common sense. Remember tripods occupy a lot of space. Be prepared as if going out walking: the dreaded stout but comfortable boots, water/windproofs (not in red or green or yellow for obvious reasons) and in hot weather a drink (non-alcoholic of course) should be essential (no offense but experience says the majority of linesiders are not in the first flush of youth and sometimes not the fittest or healthiest. Look after yourself. Obey the access and PTS rules and you will be fine but please approach it with respect.

Enjoy your visits but to return to my original theme if this is the first time you have tried this familiarise yourself with your kit from outside the fence before signing in.

Cheers

Steve Taylor

Sound advice there twa dogs. As regards Camcorders themselves, ideally one needs a machine with a manual iris and the operator a knowledge of exposure. An external directional mic is a must too so as to pick up sounds from a distance away, as well as to avoid wind noise and extrainious sounds like still photographers! :D I used to put mine on the ground, in long grass, anywhere out of the wind. The thing to remember is, whereas your telephoto lens will pick up a train at a distance, the on-board mic will not pick up the sound.

Other useful advice is, always use a tripod, and use one with a fluid head. This makes for smooth panning. Don't zoom in and out all the time if you dont want to make your viewers dizzy! A variable zoom control is extremely useful, but sadly many just zoom back at a set rate. Mine did and so I melted an old biro handle until it clipped over the small zoom handle so I could manually zoom back. I did a lot of S-VHS and Hi-8 videoing between 1989 and 1997 and marketed two programmes covering the North Wales scene. Production & Editting is an enjoyable adjunct to filming and is an artform in itself. Belgian on this forum is the filming expert. Finally, good luck.

Good all round advice Steve.

Keep your eyes and ears open at all times, and switch off mobile phones.

K9-70

(Previously a member of the Downpatrick & Co. Down Railway Society)

Perhaps a little patience might have got you here.

As a GCR working volunteer as well as a working profesional photographer, I'd like to ask you to think if you really need to go lineside. Yes we do offer permits but this is not a railway playground. Things will not happen at your convenience, you cannot ask for a repeat, you cannot wander around at will as on a charter. You do need to exercise great awareness of both yourself and your surroundings. I am aware that in talking to anonomous-interweb-you that you may have great experience of lineside safety at greater speeds or complexity but the same degree of sense should apply. If you find my words offputting or overbearing please remember I am not saying no, I am asking you to consider your actions. You will be responsible for yourself and your actions and given the herd-like behaviour of linesiders you may have to unofficially police the behaviour of those around you. Remember this is a priviledge not a right. Abuse it and you and potentially all others lose it.

Having read and hopefully understood the permit regulations, I would suggest the following: get to know your equipment inside out and carry only what you need - if you understand it you don't need a 4-volume instruction manual and as for battery chargers just where would you expect to plug in, badgers don't use 13amp. Strip your kitbag down to a minimum. Also choose your bag carefully. Backpacks are great but increase your personal loading guage, weigh you down, alter your balance and obscure your high-viz. Yes you will be issued with a traceable vest. Know what you want and if it is achievable within the rules and common sense. Remember tripods occupy a lot of space. Be prepared as if going out walking: the dreaded stout but comfortable boots, water/windproofs (not in red or green or yellow for obvious reasons) and in hot weather a drink (non-alcoholic of course) should be essential (no offense but experience says the majority of linesiders are not in the first flush of youth and sometimes not the fittest or healthiest. Look after yourself. Obey the access and PTS rules and you will be fine but please approach it with respect.

Enjoy your visits but to return to my original theme if this is the first time you have tried this familiarise yourself with your kit from outside the fence before signing in.

Cheers

Steve Taylor

Typical youngster, impatient and then when you are directed to the correct location it becomes a D'oh moment, lol.

you haven't put me off at all, you have actually just greatly helped me to understadn where to go with this next. I would hold strong regard for ALL regulations They are there to protect everyone. I know how long it can take a train to stop, even at 25mph. And dare i say it, i know the level of devastation trains can do in the worst situations.

Thanks for telling me this, i will consider every aspect of the advice you have given me, I think it's a case of going down to the railway on an operating day and setting up somewhere not Lineside so i can get used to the equipment and familiarise myself with filming, particularly in this type of environment.

I Don't take offense to the fitness comment i understand Exactly what you mean!

also quick question, Does the GCR's policy on filming mean I am not allowed to film on the platform? or from say a good angle in Quorn or rothley car park?

Many thanks indeed,

Bruce.

• RMweb Gold

Another thing to remember is that the difference between lineside and the right side of the fence is only inches or a few feet. Whilst paying due regard to private property, farmers' fields etc., it is often possible get into great 'lineside' positions that aren't actually lineside. Researching the railway you intend to visit using OS maps etc. prior to your visit can usually give you some good locations which you can stay at all day if you so wish.

• 4 weeks later...

badgers don't use 13amp..

Steve I'm sure there have been loads of occasions when you have wished that you could mix badgers and 13amps!

Also speaking as a GCR working volunteer who often has to deal with the antics of some of the less responsible of the lineside permit holders whose actions can and do have an impact on the safety and running of the trains, I would reiterate the excellent advice that Steve has posted. In addition I would also like to say that PhilH (got any model Palbricks to share with us?) also makes an excellent point in that respecting the neighbouring property such as farmer's fields etc is also a vital consideration. The relationship with our neighbours is vital for our well being.

My final point is that should you wish to film from a train (ie from an open window) then please beware of the limitations of the loading gauge. We want everyone to have an enjoyable time but above all a safe one- you don't want to get decapitated on one of the many impressive signal structures or bridges or from a passing train on the double track.

Archived