Rye and Camber Tramway

Fishplate42

Yes, Laurey Cooksey, who wrote a sizeable book on the R+C built one in, I think, 7mm scale.

Nonneminstre Models made etched kits for one of the locos and the two bogie coaches in 4mm, desighned for either 9mm or the prototypical 12mm gauge. (The R+C was 3' gauge). However these have been unavailable for many years and are unlikely to be produced again. I've got the Rother Ironworks coach awaiting...

I think Laurie Cooksey's one is the one that's now on show at the Kent & East Sussex Railway's museum at Tenterden, but that one is 4mm scale. That seems to fit with my recollection of a layout appearing in the 009 News some time ago too.

Thanks for the information. I managed to get hold of the Cooksey book and some other material which got me interested. The Rye and Camber would make a nice simple project in 7mm - everything built from scratch with track at 21mm gauge. Does anybody sell 21mm track gauges - or do I have to make those as well? I looked on the 7mm narrow gauge site but couldn't find anything.

Ralph ;)

You need to be aware that the P4 5'3" gauge (3ft in 7mm) is actually designed to hold 4mm bullhead rail. They will require to be modified if you are going to use 7mm flat bottom rail - I know because I bought 2! (and I haven't modified mine yet).

Spoke to Chris Ellis - he thinks it was modelled as standard Gauge, and the article was in MRC about 1956 - - he thinks that he may have it and, If so, I'll send you a copy. May take a while to find though

Thanks, That would be interesting...

incidentally, I worked with Chris, for a few years, on a few magazines back in the '70s and 80s...and was involved with the launch of Model Trains in Jan. 1980.

Ralph.;)

Between us Chris and I have come up with - not the article as such, but a copy of the trackplan and an alternative that appeared in MTI-54. The original was in MRC February 1959. Let me have an email address and I'll send you a scan, with Chris' blessing! The memory is still (more or less) working - it was 10' x 4'6" - the original used an Essar 0-6-0 tank and a Hamblings Gnat

Jack

Between us Chris and I have come up with - not the article as such, but a copy of the trackplan and an alternative that appeared in MTI-54. The original was in MRC February 1959. Let me have an email address and I'll send you a scan, with Chris' blessing! The memory is still (more or less) working - it was 10' x 4'6" - the original used an Essar 0-6-0 tank and a Hamblings Gnat

Jack

Thanks! - PM sent.

Ralph ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Maurice Deane built a model and it appeared in the Railway Modellerin the mid to late 1950's. It was a continuous run with the Rye terminus in the middle. The scale was 5.5mm and the gauge 16.5mm.

I've got a copy in the black hole loft somewhere, when I find it I'll edit the post to include the date!

Maurice Deane built a model and it appeared in the Railway Modellerin the mid to late 1950's. It was a continuous run with the Rye terminus in the middle. The scale was 5.5mm and the gauge 16.5mm.

I've got a copy in the black hole loft somewhere, when I find it I'll edit the post to include the date!

Thanks Keith I have a found copy - It is February 1955 - It's older than me - Just!

Ralph ;)

I think Laurie Cooksey's one is the one that's now on show at the Kent & East Sussex Railway's museum at Tenterden, but that one is 4mm scale. That seems to fit with my recollection of a layout appearing in the 009 News some time ago too.

This was featured in the January 1998 Railway Modeller and is a static model. A single page article which I cut out (and ripped it...) whilst sorting out and throwing away a pile of magazines yesterday. A pm and its yours.

This was featured in the January 1998 Railway Modeller and is a static model. A single page article which I cut out (and ripped it...) whilst sorting out and throwing away a pile of magazines yesterday. A pm and its yours.

Thanks - PM sent.

Ralph;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

A major problem with modelling the Rye & Camber in any scale up to and including 1/32 (or Gauge 1) is that the prototypes were miniscule - they would not have looked large on 18inch gauge - and it is difficult to make scale models that work, particularly of the two steam locos. Even finding wheels that are approximately correct is almost impossible - and the Bagnall bogies under the two carriages are very spindly although they could be fabricated from fine brass sections.

The rail section was very small too, to look right you would need to use code 55 FB rail even in 7mm scale - not quite as difficult to handle as the code 40 that Peter Kazer used on Sand Hutton in 1:48, but still not easy with a 21mm track gauge.

• 2 months later...

Jack

I have a feeling that this layout was not an accurate portrayal of the original but just used the names. It was an end-to-end with simple stations but probably quite entertaining to operate if done 'properly'.

Archived