Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all from a wet Berkshire....

Small world Robert. I was fascinated to see the subject of paternoster lifts come up this morning. Reminded me of when I was a young sales guy in electronics and recalled going on one at what I thought was GEC Marconi in Borehamwood. Same place Robert?

A weird experience that has come up in conversation. Those younger than I can't believe such a thing existed with the current H & S legislation.

Apparently if you didn't get off you just went over the top as it were and down the other side....icon_eek.gif

Good Morning All,

I've never seen or even heard of a paternoster before! blink.gif I hope everyone has a good Tuesday. It's 8/8 here in this most Southerly part of Hampshire this morning, and both looks like it has been raining, and is going to rain more still!

Thanks John for pointing out the Fleetwood Mac program - I sat down last night and watched it back - it was a great program, and very revealing too. It's funny you know, how comes most song lyrics either come from someone's life story, or sheer randomness when the writer was as high as a kite?? unsure.gif

Have a good one All!

• RMweb Premium

Apparently if you didn't get off you just went over the top as it were and down the other side....icon_eek.gif

Yes - there are signs inside the paternoster lifts in the IG Farben building that it is not dangerous to ride through the upper and lower reversal points. I never tried it myself, though ;) .

Great Uncle broke his hip.

Don't really know the circumstances as it was before my time.

However, I do remember his very stout figure falling over, with his equally stout wife at a funeral.

They somehow backed into and tripped over a curb around a grave and ended up sitting on the marble chips with their legs in the air.

As I was about eight, I fully appreciated the humour of the situation and was chastised accordingly by parents who had trouble keeping a straight face.

Perhaps Great Uncle was accident prone.

Strange that I remember that incident clearly but can't remember whose funeral it was.

So my main memory of him was putting the Fun into Funeral - can't be a bad thing.

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, A smattering of oktas in these parts. The only paternoster I recall ever seeing was at Essex University way back in the 70s when I visited there as a potential student. Didn't realise that was what they were called but it came as a surprise when asked to step into this vertical conveyor belt thingy! I don't think that was what put me off the idea of going to university. :unsure:

Cheers

Dave

Morning all!

Glad to hear things are perhaps a bit better today, Robert.

I had to google paternoster too. I had seen them before on tv, but have never seen a working one up close.

Bought a new mouse yesterday - it's an Apple Magic Mouse and it's pretty funky! It has no buttons or scroll wheel, yet works more efficiently than my old wired mouse... :)

Small world Robert. I was fascinated to see the subject of paternoster lifts come up this morning. Reminded me of when I was a young sales guy in electronics and recalled going on one at what I thought was GEC Marconi in Borehamwood. Same place Robert?

Yup! That's the one. I used to be an Engineer at GEC Marconi in Basildon, but also had to pop around to Borehamwood from time to time.

A weird experience that has come up in conversation. Those younger than I can't believe such a thing existed with the current H & S legislation.

The funny thing is that I can't see that it was that dangerous! Like I said in my previous post, I can see the possibility of somebody getting trapped - but it isn't really a likely scenario unless somebody does something really silly.

Apparently if you didn't get off you just went over the top as it were and down the other side....

That's right - I can speak from the personal experience of somebody who just had to try it! B) There were no signs indicating that it was possible (I think there was a "DISMOUNT NEXT FLOOR" or something similar as you were approaching the top floor). However, I came to the conclusion that given that every car had various safety signage in it, and that the signage in the down-travelling cars was not upside down, the cars must just traverse the top and then descend again. I stayed in the car at the top, and sure enough it ascended, moved sideways, and then descended again!

Thanks Robert. Glad to hear my memory wasn't playing up.

Funny how you can recall bits from years ago quite easily, but if you asked me what I did last weekend, I'd really have to think about it. I guess the risks from paternosters all hinged round the precise timing of getting on and off. The slightest hesitation or delay would mean a drop of a foot or so into the car or onto the floor. I found it a little unnerving at first, but accept once you got used to it, it was OK.

I worked for four different connector companies between 1972 and 2000, but would guess the most likely one that manufactured military spec products would have been in the early '70's. We were involved with all the GEC Marconi sites, Basildon, Borehamwood, Romford (or was it Ilford?), St Albans, Chelmsford in my patch alone.

• RMweb Gold

Like Eldavo I too saw the Essex paternoster while I was on a pre university visit/interview. I didn't go there. Matthew went on a University of Essex open day recenty but the architecture put him off (apparently he thought it looked like "it had been designed by s pair of depressed Soviet Union era architects who didn't talk to each other".

There were many GEC Marconi establishments around here. I used to collect my brother-in-law from Chelmsford and take him back on Sunday night. He only did the first year of an electronics sandwich (a chip butty?) course after he decided he would rather study medicine.

It is raining here but looking brighter, (I nearly forgot the weather report!)

Tony

Yes, I suppose you are right. It is the risk of tripping getting in and out.

Wikipedia has an interesting article on Paternosters.

I am relieved to say that my "up and over" didn't result in me getting stuck in the drive chain :icon_wow:

• RMweb Premium

I actually do jump off from around one foot or so when somebody is riding with me in a paternoster, as the time window when the cabin is more or less at floor level really is a tad narrow. Likewise, I also jump into the cabin from a height of a foot when somebody is about to board the cabin with me.

• RMweb Gold

Yes, I suppose you are right. It is the risk of tripping getting in and out.

Wikipedia has an interesting article on Paternosters.

I am relieved to say that my "up and over" didn't result in me getting stuck in the drive chain :icon_wow:

There seemed to be a few comedians at Essex who while going over the top did a handstand. This did seem to confuse some of the onlookers as they saw an inverted person in the descending lift.

"I am relieved to say that my "up and over" didn't result in me getting stuck in the drive chain"

I think you'd have to be able to enter onto the roof of the car to do that.

(An easy mistake to make if you are looking at a secretary or otherwise distracted).

• RMweb Gold

It has turned into quite a nice afternoon here weather wise.

Makes a change to see the Sun!

It is now raining heavily here. Robbie was confused slightly on the walk as the stream he usually jumps over and paddles in is about 20 foot wide now and must be 6ft deep today.

It looks quite nice north of here. Anyway I'm just off to buy some sort of hardware to stop the new bookshelf falling over if someone (not me) climbs up it rather than getting a step-stool. IKEA always include a safety strap in their shelves and cabinets.

Tony

Morning All,

A very autumnal morning here. Black as ink, raining and blowing a gale (well, not quite - but the wind is quite strong).

My drive to work consisted of a mass of spray and swirling leaves.

What has everyone got planned for today?

It's work for me - I have got a load of review comments to work into a document.

Have a good day everyone! :icon_wave:

• RMweb Premium

Morning!

Yeah, it's the kind of weather to stay in bed all day (which, however, I don't think I could do even if I had nothing on my agenda). Will need to get some additional books from the library within the next few days.

Later :) .