The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning :icon_yawn: ...

Grey outside and autumnal - fittingly, I'll have my winter tyres put on later today, and also have the oil changed on this occasion. And I'll have my hair cut, which is really overdue by now! Tomorrow I'll then pick up some additional books at the library - good thing you can reserve them online, at least many of those located in the main branch.

• RMweb Gold

Hello all.

Quite sunny here but it isn't that warm yet. It can't have rained in the night as Robbie was quite dry when he came back in after checking the garden this morning.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, Plenty of oktas in evidence but none leaking thankfully. Had a chilled day yesterday building a building for the layout. It hasn't turned out exactly as I envisaged but that's no change, it'll do. Today I have the joys of a seminar on early retirement along with a large number of old f*rts. Probably be pushing the button that says "let me out of here!" soon after.

Cheers

Dave

"a large number of old f*rts" - Carefull, I'm one of them.

Just been out for another smoke. The wind has died, the drizzle has stopped and there are a few patches of deep blue between the clouds. It has also warmed up so that a jacket is no longer necessary. It is once again pleasant outside :)

I must lead a very boring life....Even the weather is nothing to write home about. biggrin.gif

One month on and still doing battle with BT to get my internet line anywhere near the speed it is supposed to be. In all fairness to them, it's rare for there to be a problem, so can't really complain. I have a theory it's the 150 yards of overhead cable between us and the road. The trees have all grown up and round the cables and the constant rubbing in branches may well have damaged the insulation and let water in. Next battle may well be whose responsibility the trees are and who will pay for them to be lopped to a height below the cables. Could be ours/BT or the council, as they run alongside a public footpath.

Happy days....icon_mutter.gif

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, Plenty of oktas in evidence but none leaking thankfully. Had a chilled day yesterday building a building for the layout. It hasn't turned out exactly as I envisaged but that's no change, it'll do. Today I have the joys of a seminar on early retirement along with a large number of old f*rts. Probably be pushing the button that says "let me out of here!" soon after.

Cheers

Dave

Good luck with that Dave, don't bite the first offer and work out what its worth after tax. A number of colleagues ran of holding the cash in the late eighties only to come back on worse terms when the monthly income was below expectations.

Feeling distinctly tired this morning. Didn't get home until after 9 from the Parliament, and pretty much went straight to bed with my book after a wee bit of pottering around on the internet.

Grey here, should already be at work, but I'll set off imminently...

[plug] One of my closest friends is in a band called The Cheap Suits, and they've just released a single called Afghan Dawn. It's available on iTunes and other music sites. All proceeds are being donated to the charity Afghan Heroes which is helping to support members of the British Armed Forces. They'd like to get the song into the Top 40, so if you've got 79p to spare to download it from iTunes, I'd urge you to get it! There's a story in The Evening Chronicle (local Newcastle paper) here: http://tiny.cc/NHN6D - please ignore the release date, it's out now! [/plug]

• RMweb Premium

Good luck with that Dave, don't bite the first offer and work out what its worth after tax. A number of colleagues ran of holding the cash in the late eighties only to come back on worse terms when the monthly income was below expectations.

Unfortunately it's not so much an offer as an ultimatum, redundancy by stealth. Basically if I get the hell out of here by April the 5th next year I get to draw my pension with a reduction of 18%. If I stay after April the 5th 2010 then the company may decide not to agree with my early retirement meaning I would have to stay until 63, another 9 years. If they do agree then they reduce my pension by 6 to 7% for every year below the age of 63. So it's go on the 5th of April with an 18% reduction or April the 6th+ with something like 54+% reduction!

Not much of a decision to make really as there is no way I am signing up to work till 63 with this company. Once upon a time I was proud to work for this organisation but now I am ashamed to be associated with it. For me the impact is relatively small as I was aiming to go in the next couple of years anyway. Some people have been royally sh*t upon. They don't have the option to retire either because they are under 50 or the can't afford it and they will have to work something like another 5 years to get their pensions back to where they are today! That's assuming the company doesn't make them redundant before then and they can get some decent returns on their pension investments. This is all apparently legal which just shows how weak our employment laws are.

Cheers

Dave

Sorry to hear about your meeting Dave. If you can survive financially, you will be much better out of it completely. From what I read and see, corporate life is no longer a pleasure and the pressures will only increase further as time goes on. I'm sure you'll make the right decision for your circumstances.

• RMweb Premium

So sorry to hear that Dave I thought after Maxwell they had to tighten up on trustee governance for pension funds but obviously not. No wonder private employees are looking at my public sector pittance with such envy. Mind you I won't be able to retire until I am 65 at this rate and Mrs B might want half of it anyway by then.

Unfortunately it's not so much an offer as an ultimatum, redundancy by stealth. Basically if I get the hell out of here by April the 5th next year I get to draw my pension with a reduction of 18%. If I stay after April the 5th 2010 then the company may decide not to agree with my early retirement meaning I would have to stay until 63, another 9 years. If they do agree then they reduce my pension by 6 to 7% for every year below the age of 63. So it's go on the 5th of April with an 18% reduction or April the 6th+ with something like 54+% reduction!

Not much of a decision to make really as there is no way I am signing up to work till 63 with this company. Once upon a time I was proud to work for this organisation but now I am ashamed to be associated with it. For me the impact is relatively small as I was aiming to go in the next couple of years anyway. Some people have been royally sh*t upon. They don't have the option to retire either because they are under 50 or the can't afford it and they will have to work something like another 5 years to get their pensions back to where they are today! That's assuming the company doesn't make them redundant before then and they can get some decent returns on their pension investments. This is all apparently legal which just shows how weak our employment laws are.

Cheers

Dave

Can you name and shame the company, Dave?

• RMweb Gold

Can you name and shame the company, Dave?

It may be better not to. My brother was in a similar position recently and has taken his pension early. Now that it has been discovered there is no one to do what he did he has been offered some consultancy work. I don't know whether as yet he intends to take up the offer.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Morning ;) ...

I still wonder just why I dreamed about a Class 66 running through a very long and winding tunnel serving a large underground intermodal facility deep inside a mountain range, the engine being operated by a guy I know from school who but went into the financial business, if I am not mistaken :blink: .

Winter tyres are on and the oil has been changed, too, so the car should be fine for the winter. I did think about eventually replacing it some time next year, if circumstances allow - it is now almost ten years old and will most likely require an increasing amount of care as it continues to age. A compact one would be perfectly sufficient for me - perhaps a new generation Renault Twingo, or a Fiat Panda or Toyota iQ. Well, let's see.

My brother was in a similar position recently and has taken his pension early. Now that it has been discovered there is no one to do what he did he has been offered some consultancy work. I don't know whether as yet he intends to take up the offer.

Sounds like another prime example of short-sightedness with nothing but short-time gains in mind <_< . So typical of how things are in many parts of the economy today.

Turning off rant mode now, don't worry ;) .

Friday - my dustbin day.

We carefully sort our rubbish into plastics/paper/garden refuse/domestic (making sure to wash any tins and jars) and fill the appropriate bags from the rolls supplied.

From here the Council collect them and throw them all into the same compactor truck.