The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

I don't like to be inside on a smashing day like today but I've seen 15 minutes of Spain v Swiss.

If there is any justice, Spain should win the cup.

Great skills.

Never, ever, ever, wish me good health.

I saw about twenty minutes of the first half and I doubt that three players on the other side touched the ball.

It's early days yet.

Skill like they showed must be rewarded in the long run.

Your health may perk up a bit next time, BoD.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

7 oktas in evidence, but dry, though this may not stay that way, according to the forecast. The weekend in particular is bound to be rather cool.

Have a nice day all! ;)

Good morning all.

Yesterday was great. Stayed in bed till after 7:00 because it's still freezing cold in the mornings. Did things at a leisurly pace so didn't breakfast till 9:00. It was partly/mostly cloudy with no warmth in the sun, when it did appear. Supposed to be clear today but still cold.

The jammed foreward/reverse slide switches have eased up completely.

Must still clean more loco wheels. Notwithstanding having cleaned track and wheels, they seem to get re-dirtied very quickly!

I remember my second layout with all 2nd hand locos and a mixture used track and points spending more time cleaning track than running trains. Current layout was started in 2001 so the main lines have been down for 9 years. I have no intention of ripping up and starting again!

The full 8-oktas, raining and with a mood to match - which is somewhere between :angry: and :cray_mini2:

As some of you know, I own a classic Mini. Having done an oil change the other day, I found some largeish pieces of copper in the sump. She's been undergoing an engine strip, and among other things, this was found:

IMG_1569.jpeg

So, now I am looking at an gearbox and engine rebuild

Have a good day everyone...

• RMweb Premium

That does sound like fun, Robert :( .

On another note: A goods train derailed near Peine last night, hitting an oncoming regional service and derailing the engine and two coaches of the latter. Thankfully, nobody was killed, but sixteen persons were injured. The Tagesschau has a report with a brief video: Click.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all bight and sunny again today. my eldest two children finish college on the second of july so i am looking forward to a change in routine,making fewer sandwiches will be a good start.

The full 8-oktas, raining and with a mood to match - which is somewhere between angry.gif and cray_mini2.gif

As some of you know, I own a classic Mini. Having done an oil change the other day, I found some largeish pieces of copper in the sump. She's been undergoing an engine strip, and among other things, this was found:

IMG_1569.jpeg

So, now I am looking at an gearbox and engine rebuild

Have a good day everyone...

That takes me back a few years Robert. Those must be the crankshaft bearings....

Happy days, when you COULD work on a car.

Morning all...

Say hello to the England lads for me Don. Big day tomorrow..

That takes me back a few years Robert. Those must be the crankshaft bearings....

Absolutely Gordon - Here's the offending article:

IMG_1570.jpeg

The block:

IMG_1571.jpeg

The gearbox and differential:

IMG_1574.jpeg

The gearbox main bearings and synchromesh baulk rings:

IMG_1575.jpeg

I must admit to not doing this myself. I don't have the tools to do the job - she is in the hands of a very capable Mini mechanic, but that means it is going to cost me. I am currently in the process of deciding whether to swallow the bill and have a car with a known good engine - or cut my losses and walk away!

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It is a very pleasant morning here.

When I used to do engine/gearbox repairs it wasn't due to enthusiasm but lack of cash! Some of the first cars we had we easy to work on but that was also because they broke down frequently (or rusted). The recently acquired vehicle is a diesel but is full of electronic systems. My brother has some sort of computer interface that he can plug in-between his car and laptop for identifying electronic faults.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, Bright one again.

It's a few years since I saw the innards of a Mini! At least it only looks as though the big end bearings are shot and the crankshaft looks reasonable. Bit of whitemetal and she'll be fine (maybe). Or at least as fine as Minis ever get. Last one my wife owned only just made it to the scrap yard before expiring completely, just after the guy had handed over some (not much) cash. In that case it was the gearbox idler gear seized solid and spinning in the casting.

Cheers

Dave

The subject matter for early morning chat is still as varied and interesting as ever.

Years ago I got a basic mini up to (an indicated) 96mph.

It felt very fast with my bottom not far above the ground.

That looks like a jigsaw puzzle that I wouldn't even know where to start putting back together! I've only had 2 cars, a Clio and a Ford Focus. The Clio was almost ready for the scrapheap after 103,000 miles. Thankfully (touch wood and subject to DD making any long-term forecasts for its health!) the Focus is still going strong after 118,000 miles. Needs some new brake discs though!

A friend of mine - to our utter amazement - got a 1980s Fiat Uno up to 100mph with himself and 3 passengers in. Mind you, it was downhill!

It's effectively Friday for me. Having severe motivational issues today...

• RMweb Premium

The subject matter for early morning chat is still as varied and interesting as ever.

Years ago I got a basic mini up to (an indicated) 96mph.

It felt very fast with my bottom not far above the ground.

I once had a Vauxhall Victor up to an indicated 100 mph, with driver and 5 passengers, all pretty big blokes and all with only 1600cc. Then the head gasket blew! It was the FD (coke bottle shape model) and it was when 100mph was legal on motorways.

A few years ago police stopped a driver doing 100mph on the M11, in a Reliant Robin! There is a Reliant Robin currently on the road fitted with a 4.6 litre V8 from a Range Rover crazy_mini.gif.

A question for DonBradley which he might be able to help with - Google didn't come up with the answer. Many years ago, when I was out in Cyprus, BFBS, at New Year , would have a charity fund raiser, where people would pay to have a record put on air. It would stay on until someone else paid more to have it replaced, and the squadrons would try to see who could keep it on longest, and who could have the midnight record. The record in question that I can't find, started out with " Och, pleeze deddy, won't you tyke us down to Durban, It's only 80 moyles in the Chev-ro-let...." sung with a strong SA accent I believe it was by a South African Caberet artist, but I don't know the name. Can you help, please?

Jack

Morning all,

bright and hot here so far!

A question for DonBradley which he might be able to help with - Google didn't come up with the answer. Many years ago, when I was out in Cyprus, BFBS, at New Year , would have a charity fund raiser, where people would pay to have a record put on air. It would stay on until someone else paid more to have it replaced, and the squadrons would try to see who could keep it on longest, and who could have the midnight record. The record in question that I can't find, started out with " Och, pleeze deddy, won't you tyke us down to Durban, It's only 80 moyles in the Chev-ro-let...." sung with a strong SA accent I believe it was by a South African Caberet artist, but I don't know the name. Can you help, please?

A quick google did throw up this discussion

Jeremy Taylor was the composer and original artist. I can't remember the name of the review in which it was first sung but I did see the show live.

If I sit and think about it I could probably remember the words.

• RMweb Premium

That Mini engine takes me back - what a simple job working on that engine was! The big ends are well shot, but thankfully it doesn't look as if the crankshaft is too damaged. I had one that was much worse, and managed to get the crank reground professionally, and then fitted the new bearings and rebuilt the engine myself - many times with a Haynes manual in one hand and a torque wrench in the other. The usual problem ensued of what to do with the handful of little screws and things that were left over. It took time, and that is what costs the money with a rebuild - mechanics who can do the work (rather than just change the bits) are few and far between now - the current tendency to chuck it away and stick on a new one is not mechanics.

Slept in this morning, as Mrs 45156 had a bad night due to a tummy problem, and then had a mad rush to get to town for a haircut and an 11.30 start at work.

The review's name was "Wait a Minim" and that song's full name was "Balad of the Southern Suburbs" that being the area of Jo'burg occupied by working class people who spoke a mixture of English and Afrikaans. The single of that song is said to have sold more copies in South Africa than any Elvis Presley single. I have heard it played recently on Cape Town's "classical" radio station, Fine Music Radio.

Jeremy Taylor. A name from the past. I saw him several times on the folk circuit in the early 70's in London. I remember he told what had been Irish jokes, but substituted Afrikaners/Boers as the fallguys. The Russians do it to the Poles, the Aussies do it to the Kiwis, etc., etc.

Geoff

• RMweb Gold

I was sorting out a shopping list for Friday when my wife said could we have something nice/special for dinner tomorrow and was I aware of the date. I did actually know it would be our wedding anniversary (not that we especially or formally celebrate it) so pretended that all I could think of was the England - Algeria match or was it the dog's birthday? I did admit I had remembered eventually. I think it may be easier to get away with this after 33 years!

Tony