The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

What splendid pictures Dom. I'm not sure whether to be sad or happy that you posted them midway through my week off - you posting them a few days earlier might have ended up costing me quite a few quid.

The Budget sounds fascinating Jamie, what a great way to record family history and keep people together.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

What splendid pictures Dom. I'm not sure whether to be sad or happy that you posted them midway through my week off - you posting them a few days earlier might have ended up costing me quite a few quid.

Would a flatbed lorry with a 99.77 be on its way to your place by now, then? :mosking:

Would a flatbed lorry with a 99.77 be on its way to your place by now, then? :mosking:

More a case of me being on my way to Germany by now. Or, more realistically, in Germany by now.

Admittedly I did buy a loco yesterday but it was rather smaller

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Finally concluded my first Ebay purchases via Paypal, which was mildly insane as I evidently signed up to Ebay in Germany, and Paypal in Japan, so I was getting bounced back and forth between English, German and Japanese. :scratchhead:

Konnichiwa, mein Herr, how are you today? :mosking:

• Like 1

Love the thought of an anglican retreat to a Quaker meeting house. Bit like a group of big cats deciding on a vegan detox programme...

Thanks for that.  It is a unique institution as far as I know.  Each batch of letters often ahs a different theme, holidays, healthcare, problems of ageing etc.   I have often thought of turing the letters into a book, the obvious title of which would be "Dear Family".I did suggest this and several cousins were dead against it...

These letters will be of interest to future historians; it is always diificult to tap into the lives of the typical family group. You might suggest to the family that - if willing - as complete a set as possible are entrusted to an academic instititution (perhaps one that someone in the family has a link to?) and then augmented annually for as long as 'the budget' continues; on the understanding that the complete collection is sealed for at least century following the final donation. (That's so that none of the authors are likely to be living when the collection is released for study.purposes.)

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Love the thought of an anglican retreat to a Quaker meeting house. Bit like a group of big cats deciding on a vegan detox programme...

These letters will be of interest to future historians; it is always diificult to tap into the lives of the typical family group. You might suggest to the family that - if willing - as complete a set as possible are entrusted to an academic instititution (perhaps one that someone in the family has a link to?) and then augmented annually for as long as 'the budget' continues; on the understanding that the complete collection is sealed for at least century following the final donation. (That's so that none of the authors are likely to be living when the collection is released for study.purposes.)

I've certainly thought of that.  My father left all his papers to the North west Regional Archive at Lancaster University including the detailed accounts that he kept of his spending from the age of 16.   His family tree research went to another university archive and included several collections of family letters from the 19th century.  Apart from a brilliant description of a jouney from the Wirrall to Arran using a famiy saloon, that I might one day try to make into an article for the Railway Magazine, there were many other letters.I got contacted by a professor of British History from Manchester who wanted to see the originals for her research as there are very few such surviving collections from ordinary families.  Apparently most come from the aristocracy.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

That's a fascinating story with your collected family letters, Jamie. I, too, am sure this would make for intriguing reading for future generations!

The thought of ER's being perused by social historians in the future is more than mortal man can face with equanimity (Another G & S quote.).  I'll have to ahve a lie down.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

The thought of ER's being perused by social historians in the future is more than mortal man can face with equanimity (Another G & S quote.).  I'll have to ahve a lie down.

Jamie

Now what might a study dealing with ERs be titled?  :O

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I'm not joining in with that frivolERty.... 

....OK, I give up mangling our language.

It turned out another super day here, spring like and very still until late afternoon.  Had a nice lunch out with Jayne who appears to be maintaining her post-Falklands positiveness, which is lovely to see.  She has a family wedding to attend next week in Bath, that will be a trial for her as Gary's parents will be there, but I think she now has the tools to deal with it. Cat-sitting duties again for me then!

Had to take Debs back to hospital later as we weren't too happy with the wound after changing the dressing as it was rather....crusty... :fie:  and we didn't have sterile water to bathe it with - hospital were great, straight in, all cleaned up and re-dressed, all was well under the.....crustiness. :tongueclear:

Evening All,

Fairly busy day today, it snowed this morning (much to Schotty's delight), but had melted by midday (much to his disgust). After the entrance was clear, I went into town to the MUBA (Basel's home & lifestyle fair). I'm looking for a new oven (actually a double oven) and a new kochfeld, I really want gas to put my pans on, but the selection here is appalling, so induction is the only real alternative. I found 4 possibilities, so not bad going. However, getting a decent double-oven???? Not only are they essentially unknown here, but I also have to work with the restrictive 55cm Schweizernorm, instead of the larger 60cm euronorm. What is also annoying is that you can find ovens with all kinds of fripperies (e.g V-Zug have all their new gear - from washing machines to microwaves to ovens - connectable by WLAN), but a simple turn on, get to desired temperature quickly and stay there oven Not A Chance!

In addition to all the equipment on show, there were quite a few "kitchen design" places. All with very pretty kitchens to look at, but kitchens I fear would be totally unsuitable to anyone who really wants to cook and not just heat up a ready meal....

The revelation today, however, was Appenzeller Glühbier, drunk hot like Glühwein but made with Beer. It will be interesting to see if I can duplicate it at home.

Early start tomorrow, walk the Wolfpack and then a day spent bringing my new company laptop on line (I do the configuring myself and I have administrator privileges - go figure). But that's what you get when you have a small company with one part time IT guy!

G'night Jock,

G'night Pete

G'night Jon-Boy

G'night All

ID

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Well, in a sense you do. Converting metabolic energy into waste thermal energy heats the room (anywhere between 200-1000 Watts) instead of your central heating system. Likewise the heat that builds up in the brake eventually dissipates into the room.    

Likewise the heat from old-style light bulbs. So changing to "energy-saving" bulbs doesn't actually save any energy. Except in summer when the central heating is off -- when you don't need the lights much either.

Martin.

• Like 1

We expend more electricity in the summer than at any other time........dual central A/C systems at my house.  Has anyone else noticed that the “new” bulbs really do not last as long as everyone connected with them suggested? Luckily regular old fashioned bulbs are still freely available over here, should you be inclined.

More snow tomorrow - in fact the NWS say we can expect Rain, Freezing Rain, Sleet then Snow in that order. North of the city up to a further 12”. Frankly I’d rather have all snow as it is easier to clear up than the really dreadful and dangerous Freezing Rain...

Still tomorrow the Sun is up at 7:00am and sunset is at 5:24pm. 10 hours 24 minutes - not that we’ll see much of it...

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Neil,

In certain circles I am known as Crusty!

Some  may think it is a derogatory term referring to a certain type of retired military type, also known as a BOF (Boring Old F*rt)!

But I am assured by my friends. that 'Crusty' is a term of affection because of my liking for making bread (and various other pastries and cakes) which they devour with some gusto.

Who are they trying to kid?  They are all terrible liars!

Eh!  Wot! Harumph! Gad such bounders!

• Like 9

Evening all. I hope the day finds you well. Things continue to improve here although my back is not totally better yet.

This morning I took Amber out to the Masson Mill outlet at Cromford, running a mercy errand for Sarah in hope I could get some stuff from the Hornby shop for father in law's birthday gift. Although what she wanted was not there, I did pick a few other things and managed to grab another low relief building for myself as I continue to gather stuff for the next project.

Amber was as good as gold so her treat was a meal in the café and a "Frozen" range of bedding that she had seen.

The good news did not continue in the evening however. My Dad sent me a text to tell me that one of the regular traders at the Weston show informed him tonight that he won't be attending the Weston show this year. Would have been nice if he let me know first!!

• RMweb Premium

Evening all and it's about time for goodnight from me.  It's been an interesting time reading all the posts.   I ahve however managed to get some of the railway magazines read and SWMBO will have less to complain about.  

Goodnight all.

Jamie

• Like 7