The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Mind you the safety questions aren't as ludicrous as some I have come across - the work intranet security system springs to mind:

"where was your Mother born?" Answer - Bromley. "I'm sorry that is not a valid town"

"what is your favourite food?" Answer - Curry. "I'm sorry you cannot choose an answer with two consecutive letters".

I was completing an on-line Irish Government form yesterday. I filled in the name of my bank account as requested only to be told it was too many letters. Not wishing to contact the bank to change the name of the account, I took out all spaces and an 'and' which then satisfied their criteria. Hopefully the account number will help the bank locate the account!

• RMweb Premium

Like the others Ian I too am sorry to hear the news.  Best wishes for strength to Sherry and yourself at this time.

May I just second what you said, Rick...

Shift over, team news briefing at 1.15, then a day off. Was rather nice to drive today and I found you can, in fact, get ahead of the timetable easily on Line 12! Second part was on Line 14, which starts and ends at Plagwitz Station and circles the city centre clockwise. That, too, seems like a fairly nice line to ride.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

G'day all,

late arrival due to visit to Dracula's Daughter and trying to find out why I am required to attend because 'some numbers weren't quite right' on a previous test.  Having found out today what wasn't quite right I'm going to stop taking the pills that have caused it and give the Doctor both barrels when I finally get to see him (or her) - it is ruddy nonsensical to find something going off course and then wait nearly 3 weeks to see the patient in the meanwhile leaving then taking what is causing the problem in my view; so self de-medication is the result because even if they don't care about my kidney function I do.

Rant over and condolences to Sherry and Ian and the best of luck to Sherry if she gets involved in finding addresses for people to tell, not an easy task.

Off to Tesco - need the right sort of bread for the French Onion soup currently under manufacture by teh catering dept.

Have a  good day one & alll

• RMweb Gold

Mike. At our surgery if a blood test result isn't in the normal range you get phoned up to take another blood test. If that is off target too then the next morning one is summoned to see the doctor. Blood test waiting times can be a while if you want to attend a specific clinic but the walk in clinic at Southend doesn't have particularly long waiting times.

• RMweb Premium

I've found that some of the less well known brands are much better, albeit that their colour ranges are a little more limited.   Johnstones and Leyland gave me better results, and I also have had better results from Valspar.

BTW - Valspar is now the colour mix brand in B&Q instead of Dulux, and they can colour match about anything with their colour analyser, and store it as a personal colour for you.

• RMweb Premium

BTW - Valspar is now the colour mix brand in B&Q instead of Dulux, and they can colour match about anything with their colour analyser, and store it as a personal colour for you.

Johnstones and Leyland are all made by the same company now. I can't remember which American Company it belongs to but it's HQ is the old Silver Paint and Lacquer factory in Birstall that became Kalon.

Jamie

Morning from a steamy Long Island...

Jock - you've plenty of support here, and wishing you well. You're the best person I can imagine to tackle the family situations you're faced with.

Ian and Sherry - condolences, trying times for Sherry as she sounds like she'll be the one to step up. Good she has your support and help Ian, you make a good team.

Uneventful "Labor Day" here, casual morning then brunch with Trevor and a relax on the porch before the flight to JFK. Ended up doing a "go-around" at JFK due to separation issues, but still arrived essentially on-time. That's the TOTAL excitement for the day, oh well.

Here on the right coast, it's scheduled to be bloody hot for a couple of days, 93 (34C) (the present record apparently for Sept. 8th.) expected to be reached in the city today. Feels sticky and ugly here already at the 8AM drive in, but should be somewhat cooler by a few degrees than Manhattan. Parts of left coast reported to be getting temps in the triple digits (38C+), and guess what, the upper mid-west, particularly where I "normally am" will be idyllic at 25 as a probable high, and lower than that the rest of the week, with a high of only 18 predicted by Friday and lows around 10-11, lovely sleeping weather!

Still waiting with baited breath for the imminent arrival of the Hornby S15 - please???

Have a good start to the week (at least here), you're already into your second day in the EU. :O

• Like 11

FWIW, Valspar is headquartered in Minneapolis!

They fell out of favour for a few years, but have made a comeback here in recent years and their paint appears to be at the upper end of decent stuff again. Thankfully, as I now avoid doing that stuff, I can't comment from personal experience. :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Mike. At our surgery if a blood test result isn't in the normal range you get phoned up to take another blood test. If that is off target too then the next morning one is summoned to see the doctor. Blood test waiting times can be a while if you want to attend a specific clinic but the walk in clinic at Southend doesn't have particularly long waiting times.

Like it.  IN my case it is all rather daft - I had the blood test because the Doctor wanted one to check kidney function for any problems after putting me on an alternative to statins.  So after 6-8 weeks on statins i have the required test, two days later I get a call saying theDoctor wants to see me 'because some of the numbers aren't quite right' - and get an appointment for 3 weeks later.  Only whenI asked today do I find my suspicions about the numbers are correct - so while in Tesco today I've had a chat with the pharmacist who will check up on the exact side-effects and the impact of mixing something I was already taking with the new addition and I'll have a chat with him about it tomorrow.

I seriously wonder what would happen if the surgery found a serious discrepancy in any numbers following a test but I'm sure that would result in a much quicker appointment - maybe even within a fortnight.

I continue to remain fairly seriously hacked off with our surgery - I appreciate they have had staff shortages but even 30 years ago when the town only had a couple of GPs you could get in to see them the following day although it might mean a wait for your turn.  The population hasn't grown by anything like the percentage rise in GP numbers at the two surgeries but now you have to wait weeks for an appointment. leaves me wondering where all these extra patients taking up their time have come from?

Afternoon all!

Done my 7 hours 24 of work already (and a bit more) but am still at the desk at a grey Scottish HQ (there was sunshine over lunchtime but it's gone again now).  Busy time trying to get this bit of legislation consultation-ready.  Everything hinges on a meeting tomorrow.  If there's a "no" comes out of that, everything I've been doing for the last few weeks will have been for nothing...

Condolences to Sherry and best wishes to Jock.

... you can, in fact, get ahead of the timetable easily on Line 12!

Our bus drivers, running an intensive short-interval town service had a saying "(Disciplinary) ticket for running early, medal for running late."!

• Like 4

Weather report from NYC and environs: 90f Noon - but luckily it’s a dry heat........I’m working an intersection at 3:00pm wearing dark clothes plus a “green” vest/waistcoat.....

Looking on the good side I may shed a couple of pounds.

Best, Pete.

A little naughty - if not actually black - humour re Sherry's loss. Sherry had emailed various folk to warn them, when she learned last week that demise was inevitable. A response came from a cousin - nurse, wife, mother and ordained Minister of the C of E. She had lost her own mother only three months ago, and three close friends had died since - two on the same day. She felt this was a bit much "so I told God to f... off - but I think we're talking again now." I can't wait to meet her!

Well done that lady - now that's what you call Christian charity!

• RMweb Premium

Great stuff, Dom!

Is there a graphic map of the whole system or did I just miss it????

Best, Pete.

Here you go, Pete: http://www.gleisplanweb.eu/Maps/Leipzig.pdf

Our bus drivers, running an intensive short-interval town service had a saying "(Disciplinary) ticket for running early, medal for running late."!

The ITCS units give you an automated reminder if you're more than 90 seconds ahead. The thing is that there can be situations where you may have made such good progress that you have got ahead of the timetable in between any two stops but that then, on a section shared with another line, you may have a service of that line behind you and thus cannot really progress more slowly in order to restore your timetabling without obstructing thar service (which itself may be running late).

Evening all.

Ian - Sorry to hear your news, sympathies to Sherry.

Dave - I hadn't realised how much your daily photos had been missed during the enforced absence.

My mothers recovery seems to be continuing albeit slowing down but not unexpected.

I had a relatively easy day mapped out for me, work in the Twickenham area then hospital and home. It ended up being Twickenham, Maidenhead, Tonbridge Wells, Hospital before home. For some reason I feel quite tired now.

Thank you to everyone for your kind, supportive comments on the loss of my sister. Your warm responses have given comfort.

Now at Ouistreham, awaiting the overnight ferry to Portsmouth & drinking hot choc! Living the dream!!

Edited by Ashcombe
  • Like 3

Thank you to everyone for your kind, supportive comments on the loss of my sister. Your warm responses have given comfort.

Now at Ouistreham, awaiting the overnight ferry to Portsmouth & drinking hot choc! Living the dream!!

....travel safely Sherry.

Dave

• RMweb Premium

May I add my condolences, Sherry.

Good wishes to everyone else who needs support too, I sent a little package to Jock yesterday that may make a hour pass for him with his mind elsewhere.

Being a touch off colour here today hardly registers.......

• Like 2