Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning :icon_yawn: ...

Don't have any idea why, but when I initially went to bed last night I suddenly felt frightened for no readily apparent reason :unsure: . Might well be that going to bed alone is now really unusual for me, even though I know she'll be back tomorrow. Also, I could imagine the very situation of going to bed alone reminds me of those several weeks between February and Easter where - shall we say, a statement from another person I trust had shaken me so badly that I was suffering from several forms of anxiety and did not sleep well at all either. And it had been during that time that my girlfriend had to go to Leipzig for a couple of days as well.

Dominik - I wouldn't worry about the issues bringing tears to your eyes. Your Girlfriend is away at the moment, which probably makes you more sensitive to these sort of things than you would be normally. The whole issue is a tragic story and while I agree to some extent with the sentiments of the people who are thinking about the driver and the emergency workers there is far more involved in this than egoism. Ego doesn't really come into it - and given that Enke was desperate enough to take his own life probably suggests that he wasn't thinking about much else at the time. Suicide is a decision with immense finality - and the feelings of everyone have to be taken into consideration. Yes, he was depressed and I can't imagine what he was going through - but to make the decision to leave his wife and child couldn't have been an easy one. The thoughts of everyone should be with everybody involved in this tragedy.

Thanks for your words, Robert :) . I agree with your statement that in situations like the one surrounding this suicide there can be only victims, and while it is quite understandable, psychologically, that people now keep asking whether there may have been a better way for Enke to come out of his tragic situation - well, as you may know, there's the saying "hinterher ist man immer schlauer". And, as you said quite correctly, people not suffering from equally difficult things like Enke had been can, by definition, barely relate to what a person in his situation must be thinking and feeling.

In any case, what is done cannot be undone...and for that reason I wish all those affected by the incident strength - including his family, friends, and, of course, the train driver and emergency workers. I could imagine the thing being quite a bit harder for the driver to cope with as he will know he actually ran over a prominent person, rather than your average Joe.

Afternoon all....Sorry to hear nothing was resolved Mick. The legal system can be incredibly slow as those involved make more money from the poor b*ggers involved in the dispute. They're in a win/win position no matter what happens.

I wondered where you had gone Ds. Hope you're on the mend now.

Mixed blessings this morning. Internet is working but email has gone down....

One day it will all work as Mr Gates intended.

Good Morning All,

Mild here this morning, on this southern fringe of Hampshire! All 8 Oktas in attendance but not leaking at present. It's Thursday today folks! rolleyes.gif We're now tantalisingly close to the weekend, just hand in there!

Is there any "Pre-Warley" exhibitions this weekend??

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, Few oktas in evidence this morning, bright and sharp. Today is a virtual Friday for me as I have the onerous duty of going down to Cornwall for the weekend with some mates. Too much beer will be drunk, too much rubbish will be spouted and too much food will be eaten. It's a tough life.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Forgot to mention, one house across the street from my place is currently being torn down. Far as I know the retired couple who lived there moved somewhere else as they apparently no longer wanted to have to care for an entire house. There is an excavator in the garden with a rather huge clamp on its arm.

I figure demolishing buildings must be fun somehow :D .

Guest Max Stafford

Sounds like the new owner wants to build something entirely new in place of the old house :) . Yes, I agree, it must be fun playing with demolition and construction equipment! :)

I'm ready for those X-Wagen now, by the way! ;)

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Sounds like the new owner wants to build something entirely new in place of the old house :) . Yes, I agree, it must be fun playing with demolition and construction equipment! :)

I'm ready for those X-Wagen now, by the way! ;)

I'm wondering just what it is about heavy construction machinery that people want to "play" with them :D . I mean, locomotives are obvious, at least to me!

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon.

I didn't log on this morning as I had to go to Barts (for our non UK posters, Barts is a hospital in London). I must be doing well as they don't want to see me for a whole year (as long as I keep taking the tablets etc) Also I was told to lose weight which is good, as for years I was never well enough to gain any. Apparently walking the dog doesn't count as exercise. Perhaps if I ran around barking and jumped in ditches it would be exercise.

Just as I was about to go into the hospital Matthew phoned to say he had shut the door behind him but had left his keys and wallet in the house. I told him he had enough time to walk to college but apparently if you don't have your ID card you have to pay ??2 for a temporary card to get in. Fortunately someone down the road (they have a son of about the same age and understand this sort of event) lent him some money. Interestingly, Matthew didn't forget his lunch or his homework so I suppose there is hope!

Tony

Good afternoon.

I didn't log on this morning as I had to go to Barts (for our non UK posters, Barts is a hospital in London). I must be doing well as they don't want to see me for a whole year (as long as I keep taking the tablets etc) Also I was told to lose weight which is good, as for years I was never well enough to gain any. Apparently walking the dog doesn't count as exercise. Perhaps if I ran around barking and jumped in ditches it would be exercise.

Domestic chores, like vacuuming, cleaning, etc, are said to be even better because they exercise more muscles! - but I'm guessing you didn't want to know that!

Just as I was about to go into the hospital Matthew phoned to say he had shut the door behind him but had left his keys and wallet in the house. I told him he had enough time to walk to college but apparently if you don't have your ID card you have to pay ??2 for a temporary card to get in. Fortunately someone down the road (they have a son of about the same age and understand this sort of event) lent him some money. Interestingly, Matthew didn't forget his lunch or his homework so I suppose there is hope!

Have to revise the definition of 'Justice' by the seem of things!

• RMweb Gold

I am absolutely DRENCHED! All 8 pouring oktas. I might as well lie in a puddle...

Knew there was a downside to cycling. :blink: My shoes, jumper, socks and trousers are so wet you can squeeze the water out of them.

Spose I better change into something less wet! I see now it is raining less heavily :angry:

I am absolutely DRENCHED! All 8 pouring oktas. I might as well lie in a puddle...

Knew there was a downside to cycling. blink.gif My shoes, jumper, socks and trousers are so wet you can squeeze the water out of them.

Spose I better change into something less wet! I see now it is raining less heavily angry.gif

Thanks for the "warning" Jam! blink.gif I'll put my 'proofs on before leaving the office!biggrin.gif

Jam:

If you want to lay in a puddle and tell untruths, that's your prerogative!

What you have to remember here is that clothes are merely a convention. The skin is, basically, waterproof.

Having lived on the Isle of Wight for many years, I have seen the reaction of most people to rain, but I'll ask you this:

If you're on the beach, swimming in the sea, and it starts to rain, what do you do:

a. rush out and dive for shelter

b. stay where you are?

Final consideration (IIRC, thanks to The Barron Knights) - is it wetter under water if you're there when it rains?

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the "warning" Jam! blink.gif I'll put my 'proofs on before leaving the office!biggrin.gif

No problem, it's quite dark out there too, and a lot of spray from vehicles so braking becomes less effective! (But you knew that anyway!)

Jam:

If you want to lay in a puddle and tell untruths, that's your prerogative!

What you have to remember here is that clothes are merely a convention. The skin is, basically, waterproof.

Having lived on the Isle of Wight for many years, I have seen the reaction of most people to rain, but I'll ask you this:

If you're on the beach, swimming in the sea, and it starts to rain, what do you do:

a. rush out and dive for shelter

b. stay where you are?

Final consideration (IIRC, thanks to The Barron Knights) - is it wetter under water if you're there when it rains?

And is it wetter cycling than walking?

Good points though, but that is in a slightly different situation I suppose.

Wet clothes can make cycling quite difficult.