RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Afternoon all and congratulations to Gordon on the new grand child. Thoughts also with Jock and I hope the op has gone well.

A mixed day weather wise here in Derby. It began quite dry and bright and ended with a torrential downpour in the afternoon. Sarah is still not well, although better than yesterday. She wanted to visit her mum today, which is usual for a Thursday, so I dropped her off and father in law will bring her and Amber back later. This has given me the afternoon to get stuck into my planning for the new term which has been ignored since I broke up for the festive period. I stuck a film in the DVD player and got loads done. Then it was a Severn Valley Railway DVD with the volume cranked up and the afternoon finished to the sights and sounds of the SVR at work. The noise didn't bother two of the cats who stayed slumbering on the bed next to me! Even the new one has got used to steam trains it seems.

Earlier in the day I called into the Masson Mills outlet in Cromford to see if there was anything of interest in the Hornby section. Sadly nothing of note, but at least it means the money stayed in the wallet.

Anyway I will sign off by wishing everyone a Happy New Year - may you have a healthy, happy 2016 with plenty of opportunities for indulging in the  hobby that brought us to this site.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

I hope that what Aditi 'thought was happening' is a minor happening and can easily be rectified.

Quite good really. She controls her diabetes with one of the more common medications called metformin. However a few years ago rather than prescribe a higher dose the diabetic nurse also added something called sitagliptin. This worked well but in the months before retirement her blood sugar started to rise so the nurse though it twas worth trying a new type of medication that makes the body dispose of glucose via the kidney route. This didn't work too well and nurse put her back on the old combination. Aditi wanted to use her meter to confirm it was back as before. In fact it was better. I think retirement helps.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Metformin? Sitagliptin?

I don't know why they have to give drugs such complicated names and confuse us plebs.

Why can't they give them sensible names like Desmond, Eva or Frank.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 3

Evenin' all,

Very best wishes to those that ail,

Modelling psychology to the fore today....I'd spent considerable time last year adjusting/correcting the double track deck for the Plymouth route bridge on TG, even though I was aware that there was a flaw in its width...highlighted by a subsequently acquired image taken from the driving cab window of a train crossing the prototype....I just couldn't bring myself to consider replacing the deck, due to the time already invested in it. This led to me avoiding adding more components (which I would probably have to undo anyway) to the bridge. The benefit of time lapse/developing skills on other areas of the project in the meantime, meant that I could revisit the same problem area in the cold light of today... going on to quickly remove the offending deck before second thoughts could stop me. It isn't much of a job to slice out a new one from stock sheet (around a set of modified Templot prints) and recover the build to the same point that I thought I'd reached already....odd how sentimentality over work done/time expended (even on a flawed component) alters the way in which some complex projects develop.

Enjoy all New Year festivities....I'm off to put my best frock on now.

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Whey, ahh divvent knaa wo aaal this Geordie lark is, aahm a sand dancer yer knaa.

It's code..... :jester:

Here's hoping Jock is OK and his, er, blueness fades soon.

I was a civil servant for some time too, and worked damn hard - all I got was thanks from people who I worked with, who weren't civil servants but police officers.  The civil service remained unimpressed by my retirement, the silence was deafening! Sod 'em.

Spent the day stock taking, apparently we still have a lot despite the best efforts of several folk on here!!! :sungum:   My head is mince now, it is a soul destroying job, counting locos and coaches is OK, but thousands of bits of track less so! :butcher:

An early night for us, the days of staying up and pickling our livers for New Year are long gone.  No doubt the cock on the corner will be out setting fireworks off.  :triniti:

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I was a civil servant for some time too, and worked damn hard - all I got was thanks from people who I worked with, who weren't civil servants but police officers.  The civil service remained unimpressed by my retirement, the silence was deafening! Sod 'em.

I know the feeling, nearly forty years in teaching and not even a 'thank you very much' from the powers that be, never mind a gold watch.

However, the recognition from colleagues and pupils when I went was something that will stay with me for the rest of my natural. I'm not sure, Neil, if you found similar in your job, but the little successes along the way made it all worth while.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Very much so, BoD, from both non-civil servant colleagues, and the young people we dealt with - they don't all end up hardened criminals, I like to thing because of the work our team did. 

The best tribute was from the first Police Detective Inspector I worked for.  As he had been a Colour Sergeant in the Marines, and risen to an Inspector in the Met. before coming to Fraggle Rock, that meant an awful lot.  We did a lot of work to develop the team back then - mostly ruined by new management now.  Still, they know best...allegedly.  Funny how all the good staff have left!

I'm sitting here in the Studio window watching the stream with a multi million watt torch.

How sad is that!

On the computer to pass the time.

Going to miss all the girls queuing up to kiss me at midnight, he dreamed.

Have turned down a few very nice invitations to folks' parties where people will be enjoying themselves.

Selfish blighters.

However, my mocs are still dry so I must be thankful for that.

A neighbour's parrot has just died to break the monotony.

Will hum Auld Lang Whatsit to myself at 12 midnight.

Frost by dawn.

Happy New Year.

Sob.

• RMweb Gold

We had a nice dinner but it wasn't quite the one intended. Aditi decided we should make something with all the leftovers she had frozen and was going to make turkey and gammon in pastry, some sort of French pasty. However the mixture was too moist ( too much brandy I think) so it turned into something on rice. Robbie behaved in an annoying manner as he does whenever we cook rice but we did let him have some eventually.

Other than that we are having a quiet evening at home. We may not even stay up until midnight!

Tony

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

A bone of contention here, Pete - we get virtually no benefit from the BBC, no local radio from them, hardly any TV coverage ( a few seconds on Manchester based news if something REALLY big happens) and crap signal strength in many areas.  Living two miles from their alleged north island boosted transmitter (that has very few channels), we get our signal from northern Ireland! Badly....but it works mostly and has more choice.  Thank crunchie for Sky.  Didn't think I'd ever say that!

A few years ago the beeb sent their detector vans over - they got chucked off the island as they didn't have a work permit!  A lot of folk don't pay their licence, we do but grudgingly.

• Like 15

We had a nice dinner but it wasn't quite the one intended. Aditi decided we should make something with all the leftovers she had frozen and was going to make turkey and gammon in pastry, some sort of French pasty. However the mixture was too moist ( too much brandy I think) so it turned into something on rice. Robbie behaved in an annoying manner as he does whenever we cook rice but we did let him have some eventually.

Other than that we are having a quiet evening at home. We may not even stay up until midnight!

Tony

I think that we won't make midnight either. Mrs G is already asleep in front of the TV, and my eyelids are heavy, so it will be off to bed soon.

Turkey and Gammon do make a good pie - we made one with leftovers a few days ago, and very nice it was too!

• Like 13