The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Then found the ultimate bad luck, as when I went to the fridge, what I thought was bacon was, in fact, smoked salmon, which is fine in itself, but not what you want fried up crispy with an egg on top in a big chunk of white bread!

My wife would understand. She went to Sweden with her parents on a holiday many years ago and bought some gravadlax . Her mother insisted on frying it and serving it with rice.

• RMweb Premium

My wife would understand. She went to Sweden with her parents on a holiday many years ago and bought some gravadlax . Her mother insisted on frying it and serving it with rice.

EEEUUURRRGGGHHH

Sounds as bad as what I heard in a supermarket once when I was picking up some quite decent smoked Inverawe salmon on a special offer and Chav and Chavette had the following coversation:

"There's some 'alf price fish 'ere"

"Wot Sort?"

"Smoked Salmon, I Fink - 'ow do you cook it"

"I'll stick it in batter and put it in the deep fat frier - be nice wiv some chips"

• RMweb Gold

I remember when, many moons ago, a group of us were backpacking in Scotland and we acquired a fresh salmon. That evening, high in the hills, we poached it and ate it, open air, under a clear star filled sky. It was the best salmon I have ever tasted.

• RMweb Premium

I remember when, many moons ago, a group of us were backpacking in Scotland and we acquired a fresh salmon. That evening, high in the hills, we poached it and ate it, open air, under a clear star filled sky. It was the best salmon I have ever tasted.

Best I ever had (apart from smoked and then usually one of the really good ones [i really like the ones done over whisky barrel chippings, peat and oak]) was when a neighbour with fishing rights on the River Lune caught one of his annual allowance, and took it home, cleaned it, filleted it, and then shared his 18 pounds of good fortune with all of his neighbours rather than freeze it - literally from river to poaching pot in two hours - served with a light butter sauce and some new potatoes and some lightly cooked beans, that was utterly delicious, and delivered a taste I have never repeated. I had, or course, to resist the obvious temptation to get the instant batter mix, a chip pan full of beef dripping, some old potatoes cut chunky and a tin of Heinz best..NOT

It was meant to be sausages and mash that night - No contest.

• RMweb Gold

Grilled on a cedar plank is the best way to have salmon. yummy.

Sounds nice but even after 20 years my cedar isn't ready for being turned into a plank. Perhaps I could waft some branches over the fish as a temporary alternative? The other problem is that I don't know quite when my wife will be home, so I'll probably get everything ready and put the food in the oven as soon as Robbie barks (he seems to recognise the sound of my wife's car).

Tony

Sounds nice but even after 20 years my cedar isn't ready for being turned into a plank. Perhaps I could waft some branches over the fish as a temporary alternative? The other problem is that I don't know quite when my wife will be home, so I'll probably get everything ready and put the food in the oven as soon as Robbie barks (he seems to recognise the sound of my wife's car).

Tony

One of our late dogs used to be really well behaved on car journeys, even really long ones, until a mile from home when he would wake up, and continually bark. Psychic?

My Gordon Special Model Rail has arrived today, but is still in the shrink wrap until I make a cup of tea.

I asked the garage to phone me today if the car needed "anything major" for its MOT and service. I've not heard a peep from them so when I pop in tomorrow morning I shouldn't be floored with a huge bill. Now, why aren't I feeling confident about that...?

• RMweb Premium

Now, why aren't I feeling confident about that...?

I believe I wouldn't do so either under those circumstances... :D

However, I would think a full service on this one would be really expensive, if that may be any sort of consolation:

dsc5312fhyo.jpg

Captured her this morning by absolute coincidence :) . Her story's in my RMweb blog, by the way: Click.

• RMweb Gold

I asked the garage to phone me today if the car needed "anything major" for its MOT and service. I've not heard a peep from them so when I pop in tomorrow morning I shouldn't be floored with a huge bill. Now, why aren't I feeling confident about that...?

The garage we have used for years are totally trustworthy and if they had been given that instruction would have rung. I know I don't have to take my present car to an authorised dealer to maintain the warranty but while it still is so it will go for its 3 year service at the main dealer. What happens after that depends on cost etc, though I do have the previous owner's bills and the servicing doesn't seem too expensive, at least compared to the Volvo we used to have some years ago. Until my mother moved down to Enfield she always had her car serviced at a main dealer. She took it to a reputable local garage and was rather impressed at the difference in price. She had been told before that she should take it to the main dealer to preserve its resale value. Not a lot of point I explained on a ten year old car.

Tony

Mine's now 11 years old. I'm actually very lucky, the garage is in my street and they've always done a very good job and I do trust them. I've been using them since before I bought this car second hand in 2004, and they've been nothing but scrupulous.

I just suspect that with the service, and I think the brake pads needed replacing, and probably lots of other little things, I think there will be lots of small items adding up to a fair size bill!

Evening All,

Great to see the BR 113 Dominik. They used to crop up once in a while when I used to commute to work on the RE's. There is just something satisfying about a locomotive hauling your train - regardless of the type. These rancid fibreglass multiple units that are now all the rage just aren't the same. Thankfully, there is still an opportunity for a bit of loco haulage around these parts. Even Diesel if you look hard B)

Do they still use the BR 218 Diesel Hydraulics on the St Wendel services? Occasionally, I would be known to leave work early to have one of the oil-sloshers on the run home! :rolleyes:

As for cars costing money - That's life I guess! My Zafira has been pretty reliable - but she still cost me quite a bit at the last service. Just a few things like brake pads, disks and ball joints soon add up!

• RMweb Premium

Great to see the BR 113 Dominik. They used to crop up once in a while when I used to commute to work on the RE's. There is just something satisfying about a locomotive hauling your train - regardless of the type. These rancid fibreglass multiple units that are now all the rage just aren't the same. Thankfully, there is still an opportunity for a bit of loco haulage around these parts. Even Diesel if you look hard B)

I, too, hugely enjoy riding loco-hauled trains :) . There are still several 110s (the "basic" version from which the 113 was derived) working regionals out of Frankfurt, but I wouldn't bet on them remaining forever. The regional line to Koblenz via Wiesbaden will be converted to FLIRT type EMUs soon, as will be the one to Siegen via Gießen. I figure they may still earn some money on services to Fulda or Bebra, and perhaps Mannheim and Heidelberg, however. Far as I am informed, the RE line to Kassel will be operated with the six 146s which already are allocated to Frankfurt from 2013 onwards, plus a few 114s (former Deutsche Reichsbahn class 212) which would have to be reallocated from the Berlin/Brandenburg area. This will then free up a number of 111s, which I guess will in turn replace several 110s again.

Do they still use the BR 218 Diesel Hydraulics on the St Wendel services? Occasionally, I would be known to leave work early to have one of the oil-sloshers on the run home! :rolleyes:

You mean the regionals from Frankfurt to Saarbrücken? I'm afraid these are firmly in the hands of the class 612 tilting DMUs - well, they aren't tilting at this time, actually.

Morning All,

It is just starting to get light here - there is just a hint of silver in the Eastern sky.

You mean the regionals from Frankfurt to Saarbrücken? I'm afraid these are firmly in the hands of the class 612 tilting DMUs - well, they aren't tilting at this time, actually.

I know the Saarbrücken trains had gone over to units - but there used to be some services at odd times that only went as far as St. Wendel - and they were loco hauled. Perhaps that was just some sort of positioning move.

I'm not a big fan of those 612's - I came back from Frankfurt on one in the early days and it made for a very uncomfortable ride. Several of the passengers were complaining to the guard that they felt decidedly unwell :tongueclear:

Have a good day everyone...

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

It's just about getting light, as Robert said. Weather looks a bit dubious, though, and the forecast predicts wind and rain for the next several days.

I'm not completely sure, but I may have felt another onset of migraine in the afternoon yesterday. I then took some ibuprofen as a preventive measure and I have the impression that this did, in fact, work.

I know the Saarbrücken trains had gone over to units - but there used to be some services at odd times that only went as far as St. Wendel - and they were loco hauled. Perhaps that was just some sort of positioning move.

I'm not aware of ever having seen any services like these :unsure: . Do you remember how long ago it may have been that you saw these? I was just thinking whether this may have been during the time where the 612s caused so much trouble due to their wheelsets, in which case I could imagine there was a shortage of them which was compensated by replacement services hauled by 218s.

I'm not a big fan of those 612's - I came back from Frankfurt on one in the early days and it made for a very uncomfortable ride. Several of the passengers were complaining to the guard that they felt decidedly unwell :tongueclear:

Yeah, that's about what I keep hearing about these things, provided their tilting system is, in fact, active. I figure the tilting system they used on them simply is cr*p as other tilting trains do not seem to cause this kind of problem - not on an equally large scale at least.

Have a good day everyone! :)

Morning all

The owls have just about stopped hooting now. I'm hoping for a dry day so I can spray outside, but who knows?

This is my favourite day of the week when my mates come round to help with the layout, and I can forget the work mountain for a bit. Still, I shall get 4 hours in before they arrive.

Richard

"Grilled on a cedar plank is the best way to have salmon. yummy."

I prefer a table and chair.

Bit wasteful burning a whole table and chair to cook your salmon.

Day off today (and I'm still awake fairly early), off over to near Kilmarnock and Ayr shortly to go chase small birds with a radio receiver. Then going climbing afterwards. :)

Dry here but full set of oktas in evidence.