RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Feel very sorry for that Policeman and his family.

Just trying to do a very difficult job in horrendous conditions.

Others still missing but with communications down one hopes for the best.

The aftermath of these events tends to get overlooked.

Apart from the disruption and perhaps the loss of treasured possessions, everything is contaminated.

There is a knock-on with Insurance Premiums for everyone (my own two claims in nine years are well into five figures).

Then there is the concern that it could all happen again.

The wildlife also takes a bashing as well as farm animals lost - not usually widely reported.

The only plus points I can think of is the way folk rally around at such times.

I well remember a neighbour (farmer) delivering a hot dinner through an upstairs window in a JCB bucket!

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, All this weather related mayhem makes me glad I live near the top of a hill. Can't imagine what it must be like to get flooded out, awful!

There is definitely something very odd and sickening about that freak show. Can't imagine why anyone would wish to pay to see it frankly.

Cheers

Dave

Morning All,

Late on parade this morning, I've got the day off so doing things at my own pace - before I'm up tomorrow at a very work-like time to go to a small exhibition at the NEC, has anyone heard of it??? laugh.gif

It's awful to hear about the people caught up and assocciated with the flooding. It's wild and blustery here this morning too but looks like it's stopped raining now.

That article about that dancer is sickening angry.gif as en epileptic myself, it's just tasteless.

Have a good day everyone, I'm sure I'll be lurking on here a bit today laugh.gif

• RMweb Gold

15?° out here and sunny - wonderful :) . Another cup of cocoa, and then it'll be back onto the books. Gee, I'm feeling nervous already... :unsure:

It has stopped raining here so I'm off to the park with the dog.

Hope you are having a good day studying. My wife is finding it very hard to study at present. She has her own job to do and is also covering for someone who is ill and then comes home to read books that are full of words I've never found before. The latest one is autonymy which in fact my spell checker tells me is an error but isn't. Matthew is also doing lots of reading as well but as most of his is about religion and politics at least I get a break from being asked my opinion on those topics when I'm on RMweb!

Tony

Guest Max Stafford

I would go to the park with the dog, but it's become a very large lake and route B has become a mangrove swamp!

Fortunately Carlisle was spared the worst which is testimony to the quality of our new flood defences.

My thoughts are with the family of the drowned officer and all those whose homes have been flooded out.

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

I would go to the park with the dog, but it's become a very large lake and route B has become a mangrove swamp!

Fortunately Carlisle was spared the worst which is testimony to the quality of our new flood defences.

My thoughts are with the family of the drowned officer and all those whose homes have been flooded out.

Dave.

I was very saddened to hear about the police officer who drowned.

The amount of rain that fell so quickly seems to have damaged some well established bridges and waterways. Down here the main flood problem is from tide and wind combinations. When the Thames Barrier was built the coastal defences along our bit of the estuary were upgraded as well. Further along the coast the sea defences have been removed to allow natural flooding to occur.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Local forecaster said only two inches of rain forecast for Cumbria tomorrow. That's alright then.

The local news showed extended pictures live from the centres and hotels where the victims, mostly elderly it would seem, were being looked after. Their spirits and the way everyone seemed to be rallying around was wonderful to see. All is not bad in the world.

Morning all,

Still dark but it looks like a full set of oktas are still in attendance. At least they're not leaking! Hoping that the waters are keeping at bay for those close by!

It's that time of year when, advanced ticket in hand, the pilgrimage to the NEC is made; yup, off to the Warley Show soon. See you all at 13:00 by the K1!

• RMweb Gold

Good Morning.

It looks very slightly damp outside but didn't appear to be raining. When I made tea earlier, Robbie put his head under his blanket so I don't think even he was too keen on going out yet to investigate. I'm not going to Warley but I'll go to the Shoeburyness exhibition today. As it is almost next door to a large Waitrose I suspect I will be given a shopping list as well.

Tony

Respite in cloudbursts has kept stream at reasonable levels.

There is, of course, the problem that the ground is saturated and it won't take a lot to fill it to the brim.

Await hosepipe ban.

Have a good time at Warley.

It's now confirmed that alcohol helps avoid heart attacks.

Afternoon all!

Very damp here in Edinburgh. Hasn't really got light all day. Been reading a novel since I woke up, just finished it. Hope everyone who's there enjoys Warley and if they so desire, gets their hands on one of the wagons that seem to go for stupid sums on eBay... :rolleyes:

• RMweb Gold

Hello again.

I've been to the Shoeburyness exhibition and also did some shopping in the conveniently placed supermarket. I didn't intend to buy anything at the exhibition but did. A couple of extra log cars should look nice behind my Heisler, and I bought a tap holder? (like a vice for taps). I did have one but can't find it.

I did get everything on the supermarket shopping list.

I may go to the garage and do some tidying for the rest of the afternoon. Everyone else is studying.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Well, it's been a pleasant day over here. Actually, the topic I put on my list for today's round of preparations was quite easy to comprehend, and I think it should not be hard to fill 15 minutes with it. But still - I am quite nervous...

What do you all do to keep calm when you got an exam or something similar coming up?

What do you all do to keep calm when you got an exam or something similar coming up?

Personally, forget revision at least 24 hours before the exam and chill out on a hobby or something else totally unrelated!

Good luck, though!

• RMweb Gold

I've avoided doing examinations since 1975 (except for driving test in 1982!). I suspect I didn't get stressed enough.

Tony