RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Just returned from Carlisle and unloaded the car it was cold and it snowed quite a bit in the middle mainly the M60 and M61 with some on the M6. Chesterfield and Carlisle remained clear.

Edited by skipepsi

Hello all. Another HOT day in prospect and windless.

I haven't got to go to the bttle store today. Tim popped in yesterday on his way to said shop and offered me lift and cartage (Two cartons to be carried upstairs)

Has everybody completed their Christmas shopping?

What will Thomas open Robert? Where will be be sleping over on Christmas eve?

I really do hope your back improves for Christmas Godon. I really am feeling for you.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

Throat's sore today <_< ...so I think I'll stick with hot tea today to get rid of this in time for Christmas! We're invited for dinner tonight and will prepare something for dessert - probably panna cotta.

Have a good day everyone!

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Cold here but that biting wind has dropped off a bit so feels warmer than it did. Listening to the news Dave, I'm guessing you got the snow that you didn't have last night. It looks as though We have missed it over here this time.

Take care everyone, wherever you are.

Morning All,

It is quite a chilly one here - and the snow is still falling. We must have had a couple of centimeters of new snow overnight. I went to the Christmas Market in Wiesbaden yesterday evening and it was actually snowing while we were there! Very Christmassy. We ate Bratwurst, drank Glüwein and Thomas went on the Carousel. We didn't end up on a freight train home, however.

Thomas has some blue and grey mark one coaches to look forward to on Christmas day. All assuming that they get here in time! His Mum will bring him around on Christmas morning as he will be celebrating Christmas with them on the evening of the 24th...

Hmmm - the school caretaker is using his motorised snow sweeper - I could do with one of those! B)

Have a good day everyone...

Morning all! Woke up to a power cut. Was just on my way to go for a shower at work when the power came back on. Thankfully I'd stopped to speak to a local shopkeeper about the power cut, otherwise I'd have trotted off to work oblivious to the lights coming on behind me!

Snow news is not necessarily good news.

Still snug but another five inches of the stuff during last night.

More forecast so the problem arises - to clear or not to clear?

It's easier to walk in snow than it is on ice but if it reaches knee deep it begins to lean the other way.

Our solitary Long Tailed Tit has been joined by half a dozen of his mates so that's a relief.

Morning all !

Rather lucky here as we still have no snow, just -5 degrees.

Young lady, whilst talking about a busy pre-Christmas Saturday, confirmed that Christmas Day probably hasn't fallen on a Saturday for about six years.......:D

No doubt it will also be on the 25th December again next year.....

Bob

• RMweb Premium

It's now snowing again over here - looking at our garden, I would estimate that there's now a total of about 20 cm in several places :blink: . I also heard what might have been a motorized snow sweeper earlier this morning - or a chainsaw, of course, as I could imagine several trees to be in peril in this kind of weather.

• RMweb Gold

Robbie knows the drill, Tony! ;) I've not sent your box yet as I need some bubble wrap for the small items, but I hope to get it away tomorrow!

Still now snow here yet, but I'm sure we'll see some before the weekend's out!

Dave.

Robbie eventually seemed to remember he should greet Matthew as well.

Thank for the box update. All bubble wrap received here gets recycled. My brother's partner is a an Ebay trader (not trains!) and she loves being given sacks of used bubble wrap. She looked worried when I told her I had received a few items with bio-degradable bubble wrapping.

When I was young most of the firms my Dad worked for gave their workers a Christmas bonus. In the Midlands this was referred to as a Christmas Box? Has anyone else heard that term?

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Definitely heard that term used in the North East.

Agreed. I don't go shopping for christmas presents I go out to buy Christmas boxes. It's a term we have always used.

"I don't go shopping for christmas presents"

Nor me if I can help it.

Metcheck says below freezing for at least a week.

Minus double figures some days.

This means snow clearing is a must.

12" fall on Anglesey this morning - not so far away as the snow flies.

Alas Don Van Vliet aka Capt. Beefheart is no longer with us. I wonder where Winged Eel Fingerling is?

"Christmas Box" was certainly used by my family who were confirmed Londoners.

We haven't been above freezing for about a week here - but according to New York we have, that is due to the reporting station being slap in the middle of Central Park where the heat island effect is the greatest - which is also where they get their global warning figures from.............d'oh.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Metcheck says below freezing for at least a week.

Minus double figures some days.

This means snow clearing is a must.

12" fall on Anglesey this morning - not so far away as the snow flies.

My neighbour's are seriously considering the wisdom of visiting Denbighshire to see their Grandchildren for Christmas / New Year. Their daughter is being transported by their neighbour's agricultural vehicles at the moment. My neighbour's Lexus didn't like some of the tracks in the summer.

It is cold and dry here. We are off to Enfield to see MiL and other relatives, but we won't stay late as snow is forecast to be covering the Thames Estuary area by late afternoon/ early evening.

Tony

In the Midlands this was referred to as a Christmas Box? Has anyone else heard that term?

My family originates from South East London and most of them use that term.

The bin men will be getting theirs after Christmas this year though - I wasn't on the ball enough this morning to get outside, wade through the snow and give it to them.

The snow is on its way to you Tony. We had one heavy burst this morning and as I type, its really snowing quite hard and settling...

Just got back from Tesco's with food for my mother. I can drive OK, but can't walk. Every cloud as they say......B)

• RMweb Premium

That trip to the supermarket we just did really wore me out! Roads are rather perilous in many places as it would seem they were cleared and salted originally, but new snow fell on top of that and created a dreadful slush. Turning around corners in side streets - which are not cleared at all - is more like drifting through them like a rally driver would do, and most parking spaces are unusable due to berms of snow which can be about knee-high in many cases :blink: . Getting moving on side streets, on the other hand, requires application of controlled wheelslip as on modern locomotives!

• RMweb Premium

That's called "winter driving"! We have parking lot berms in Joisey that can reach 20 foot high by the end of January and they last through April!

That's the way it is over here.

I figure berms that high might best be cleared using a battle tank... :blink: Do remind me to put a 6x6 Pinzgauer on my list if my car should need replacement!

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound superior!

It's just that Europe is now getting the kind of winters that we've been having since I can remember - i.e. normal!

The parking lots over here are some of the first things to be cleared (for obvious reasons) usually by "front loaders" so the snow gets stacked up in the little used areas.

Once Europe (and particular Britain) get a few more years of this then they will have the infrastructure and gear to handle it rather than just throwing their hands up in horror........

Hmmm.... perhaps I should start a "snow thrower" export service.......http://www.troybilt.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/category2_10001_14102_55003_55003_55003_-1?cm_mmc=Google-_-Snow-_-Snow%20Thrower-_-Snow#

I own a 24" Troy-Bilt.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all I am glad that is over if I had left it much later I suspect we would still be sat on the M61 as we came south the northbound carrigeway was stood and had been for around an hour. In the end I got fed up of being overtaken by artics and followed them down the middle lane, the cause of the delay? a BMW sports car with very wide tyres! Apart from a detour through the back streets of Stockport the trip after that got better the closer to Chesterfield we got.

Christmas box was a common description of any tip given, when I was a fitter it was usually funded by the sale of scrap through the year which paid for a meal plus drinks at Christmas in a bad year it was sandwiches plus drink.

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Snow here as well, but nowhere near as bad as many other areas. We seem to have been bypassed again for much of the worst of the stuff, thankfully, as any deeper would see me housebound again as I have crampons for my shoes, but not for the crutches.

Daily papers seem full of doom and gloom about this weather, and appear to have latched on to a forecaster who has expressed an opinion that the cold weather will continue for a month yet. However, the paper that Mrs 45156 brought home, while stating this as a fact, does not cite which forecaster made this prognostication, relying instead in a bland and unsupported atatement which was made into a banner headline - I love the papers!

Our dog seems to have a love/hate relationship with the white stuff, as she will happily gambol around in it, but as soon as she gets a small ball wedged in her foot, she limps around as though she's broken her leg. Clear away the compacted snowball, and all's fine and play can recommence until the next time - and this from a ten year old Sussex Spaniel.

Commiserations to those who are suffering.

Regards to All

Stewart

Guest Max Stafford

We've had a dusting overnight here, but things are still moving OK. Abi thoroughly enjoys the snow and today was no exception.

Sad news about Capt. Beefheart, Pete. I really enjoy "Safe as Milk", which is still my favourite piece of his work. Electric Delta Blues is just unbeatable as 'train music' too! B)

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound superior!

It's just that Europe is now getting the kind of winters that we've been having since I can remember - i.e. normal!

No offence taken, Pete - none even occurred, as a matter of fact :) . In fact, I was thinking about how things would be over here if we were getting as much snow as the U.S. and Canada usually get!