Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Aaaragh! Baseboard disaster!

I finally decided (having been pestered by the little guy) that it was time to put in some more time on the layout.

In order to fit a couple of the point motors, I had to chisel a slot into one of the bracing pieces, and the plate supporting one of the legs. The point motors now fit but I managed to split the plate supporting the leg :angry:. Oh well, I thought, I'll stick a screw in to provide some extra stength - and promptly made the problem worse :angry: :angry:

Notes to self:

1. Don't put screws in without pilot holes - even if "it should be Ok" - It won't!

2. Don't screw down from the top of the baseboard, because you can't get to the screws once the cork/ track is laid.

I'll have to think on this one - I think I've bitten off more than I can chew with this layout...

• RMweb Gold

I'll have to think on this one - I think I've bitten off more than I can chew with this layout...

There are many wonderful adhesives around now. However if you want a layout you can bite I'd go for a Styrofoam baseboard.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Absolutely chucking it down here today, and very windy indeed - warnings for severely heavy rain in Cumbria, so opted not to go to Kendal and Windermere with the dog today - she looked so forlorn after her first walk that we decided to leave her at home, and just make a trip to the woodyard as we're running out of logs AGAIN - that's two loads this year and still burning them.

Just got back in, and HM had arrived, so I'll retire for a while to have a read.

Regards to All

Stewart

Thanks guys. I've repaired the damage - and the layout will live to fight another day!

To be honest, I should have known better. I know all too well the importance of drilling pilot holes, but I was too lazy to walk down two flights of stairs to get the drill. Just to add insult to injury (and thumbing its nose at my laziness) my hand drill was laying on the baseboard. My Grandfather (a very skilled carpenter), whose hand drill it used to be, must have been looking down at me and laughing like a drain! :lol:

I've updated my layout topic with a couple of photographs of the now repaired damage.

I think I'll leave point motors for another day - but I'll make an effort to make sure it isn't a year before I touch the layout again! <_<

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Just stopped raining here, and very dull indeed - Mrs 45156 has a number if tasks for both of us this morning, so I'd best get on.

Regards to All

Stewart

Good morning all.

Another pleasant Summerey day with, at present, just the slightest of breezes.

Glad to see you having another go at the layout Robert, but sorry that real progress wasn't achieved. You will have to have another go at the point motors, otherwise Thomas is going to lose interest.

How about some buildings or scenic features that Thoma can assist with to make it really 'his' layout?

Any progress on your simpler 'plank', BoD?

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

Copy that fog up here, Robert. Parked cars outside are slightly frosted over, which I guess is no surprise as we're below 1°. Oh well, a new week has begun!

Have a good day all! :)

I'll look forward to welcoming you back Mr C. You picked a great time to go to Oz.

Trust you enjoyed seeing the Barmy Army et al give your compatriots a good hiding...:D

Edit: Apologies. I really must be losing the plot. Post edited as I thought you had arrived back in the UK. :rolleyes:

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

10C and raining here.

We took Matthew back to Leicester yesterday and got him re-installed in his flat. He seemed very happy to be back (even though he has an exam this morning!). We dropped in to see MiL on the way back as we had to drive past Enfield. Our nephew was also there. He is a final year medical student and he is in the middle of a placement with a GP in Shenfield. His next placement is almost as exotic, as he is off to a hospital in India in the place where the Dalai Lama now lives.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

It has been tipping it down here seemingly all night and has only just stopped by the looks of things.

Don, as I know you like to keep progress on all ERs' layouts, here's my Update

Got a half day today which means I can get more revision done - I'm itching to do more to the layout though! laugh.gif

Right, now I best get off to my geography lesson...

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, Checking the diary it seems to be Monday again. Severe okta leakage earlier but nothing like those in Oz have been experiencing. I wonder if PhilC had to invest in bigger wellies? There appears to be work I need to do which is a bit of a bother.

Have a good one all.

Cheers

Dave

Just been skiving and making a pedestrian bridge to go over the tracks on Much Wittering.

This was prompted by advice I gave to someone else on how to do it.

Three hours and it's still not finished!

Teach me to keep my advice to myself.

• RMweb Gold

I shouldn't have made comments about my blood flowing like cab sauv a few pages back. I received a letter asking me to get the tests repeated. When I was at the doctors today with a prescription request I asked if the blood test was being repeated for some technical error reason rather than a problem. Apparently my fasting glucose levels were high. Hopefully this is an unusual event as the sugar levels are about the only normal result I get usually!

Robbie and I had a nice walk this morning. Quite a bit of rain and a high tide meant that his usual walk was flooded. Robbie didn't bother to swim in it though as he could drink without jumping in today.

Tony