The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Evening All,

Strange. I never had a problem. Just look for the pointy bits on the front....

Can't say I ever had a problem finding the girls. As Gordon says there are some distinctive features that I for one have always found tend to attract my gaze. Of course having found one there can then be serious challenges in progressing further...

Which is of course, what I meant! Physically identifying them presents few problems - When it comes to progressing further, "serious challenges" has to be the understatement of the century :icon_lol:

Had a reasonable day off today - went to the communication museum in Frankfurt, had lunch in Sachsenhausen and then called in at the Christmas Market on the way back to the station.

IMG_1364.jpeg

• RMweb Gold

Very wise move :icon_thumbsup2: :icon_lol:

Re 2010 challenge, I know I'm being 'got at' by 009Matt and Claude_Dreyfus on this, but you never know what might happen! Bag's firmly tied to keep the cats in at the moment!

I'm sure having seen your imaginative skills (Re Lynnbottom) you can think up something.

[TIC] I expect you'll either put in an entry, end up helping 009Matt, or both! ;) Sounds like the cats are the aforementioned two people! [/TIC!]

*Already out the door!*

• RMweb Premium

Dominik - I did a module during my French degree course on The Chivalric Romance and World of Arthur - including the Lais of Marie de France, and Chretien de Troyes' Arthurian Romances. Always an area I found really interesting. I wasn't aware of German versions of the Arthur stories as well, but given they started in England and France in the 13th century (I seem to remember the name Geoffrey of Monmouth as well...), I shouldn't be surprised that there are German ones as well...

Yes, Hartmann's "Iwein" is basically an adaptation of Chr?©tien's "Yvain ou Le chevalier au lion." We actually compared both works in one seminar as there are quite a few differences. Likewise, Wolfram von Eschenbach's "Parzival" is an expanded version of Chr?©tien's never completed "Perceval" with about 2.5 times the number of verses. If you still have an interest in literature from this period, reading Hartmann's and Wolfram's works may be something for you :) .

Don't worry, Tony, the majority of my reading since uni has been Terry Pratchett, Hamish Macbeth, Doctor Who, Ian Rankin, Reginald Hill... I have to admit I've rarely read any "high" literature since!

Dominik, think I'd have to read that in an English translation, my German isn't up to it. And even less so my medieval German!

• RMweb Premium

Dominik, think I'd have to read that in an English translation, my German isn't up to it. And even less so my medieval German!

Not a problem - English translations are available, if I am not mistaken. But I wonder whether these editions also include the Middle High German original - should be interesting to compare this to modern English! It certainly is quite impressive to see the difference to modern German - especially considering terms and expressions which have completely fallen into disuse or undergone a significant shift in meaning.

On another note, I do think it might be interesting to brush up my Latin. However, far as I know there has been a change in attitude as to its actual pronunciation. The teachers I had back then still adhered mainly to the Germanized pronunciation as it had long been taught during the 20th century, but more recent research appears to indicate there were actually many differences. One example I remember would be pronouncing "poena" like "poy-nah". In fact, I could well imagine colloquial Latin to have sounded a lot more lively and fluid than one might believe when looking at Roman literature and philosophical writings.

• RMweb Gold

I used to like Hotspur, Film Fun and The Eagle. I suspect I reached my intellectual peak very early and deteriorated thereafter. Swapping comics with friends must have been the 1950s version of file-sharing.

Tony

Morning All,

Wow Don! What a view - certainly beats the view out of my office window which looks straight at the multi-storey car park!

Not in the office again today, but feeling a bit on the miserable side this morning. I'll probably go for a ride once I've dropped the little guy at Kindergarten.

Have a good day everyone :icon_wave:

• RMweb Premium

Morning :) ...

One more day to go then! I typed up the first half of my notes for tomorrow's outline yesterday and will do the same for the second half later today. Should be a good way to re-reflect on them as well. Curiously, I'm not feeling as tense about the exam right now as I did earlier this week - so much the better, as I am sometimes worried about the range of different emotions I often go through before exams :unsure: . On Monday, after I was done, I did have a very strong craving for silence and peace - unsurprisingly, considering I had been talking about complex subjects for one hour. Of course, that sort of silence is hard to get in a busy city, which made me rather agitated when I was more or less forced to overhear the conversations of others on the street and on the train, which I really had no interest for at all <_< . You know that feeling?

Also, as the exam was in English I was so deep inside this language that when my professor switched back to German at the end I did utter an English word in reply :lol: .

Guest Max Stafford

I certainly find that a decent bike ride or a run lifts my spirits no end Robert, especially at this time of year. I must be endorphine dependent! ;-). Don, marvellous view and I'm sure I can see a couple od dassies cavorting on that mountain top! :-)

Morning everyone!

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Hello all.

The sky is turning from grey to blue now. I'm planning an outing to the recycling tip today. Apparently I may have a sore arm following last evenings swine flu jab but it seems OK at the moment. I've got to go back in three weeks for another one.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, A scattering of oktas but an expanse of blue sky in evidence. I seem to remember regularly getting a comic called something like Century 21. I think that puts me in Tony's camp with the exploding spaceships and stuff. It was a spin-off from the Gerry Anderson TV programmes if I recall. Lots of Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons, Stingray and Thunderbirds. I suspect it sticks in my mind as I won a prize in a competition, not the first prize which would have been some fantastic plastic something but a runner-up prize of a jigsaw puzzle!

Cheers

Dave

Guest Max Stafford

Better than nowt Dave. I can remember that comic myself, I think it was called 'TV21', later to give its name to a late '70s band if I remember right!

And Don, that's him, he was behind that big boulder on the left of tne ridge. You wouldn't think his big cousin was an elephant, would you?

Dave.

Feeling quite a bit better now. I dropped the little guy off and headed straight off on my bike, just as the silvery fingers of dawn were touching the Eastern sky. I returned 35km later with blue sky and sunshine and feeling a little less miserable.

My, those Dassies are odd looking things! I did go back to look, and thought I saw one. However, it turned out to be a speck of dirt on my monitor :icon_lol: