The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, I bought Mrs B a bonsai tree for her birthday from Tesco by the following day it had shrivelled leaves and is now recovering in the somewhat cooler kitchen. Just a thought Mike nurtured they should be good for about a century.

No doubt you will be elected to the post that nobody else will touch with a bargepole.

[aside] Is bargepole one word or two?

We were tempted to elect Tony for every position on the board. :blink: In the end I think that got whittled down to director of interval beverages.

• RMweb Gold

SWMBO has ordered me not to buy her flowers.

We have managed, by mutual agreement, not to be fleeced, I mean not to celebrate this for 25 years. For some unfathomable reason this year unsubtle hints have been flying thicker than Cupid's arrows.

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all.

I was up early but it was so we could have breakfast with my brother before he set off.

Andrew, I think beverage making is a post I could just about manage. When I had a career (!) and did on occasion chair meetings, it was noted that when I did so they were conducted at a pace to maximise the post meeting tea and biscuit time!

I'm quite certain that my wife and I have never sent each other gifts/cards/flowers at Valentines day. Some of the recent email suggestions from companies I've bought items from in the past have included buying dog treats and a banjo as Valentines gifts.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

I'd planned to check in last evening after spending time acting as chauffeur to Mrs 45156 who wanted to try to find an outfit at the well known mill store at Colne. Got home early evening, and had dinner, was just getting the computer set up, when the lights went out, and all the neighbours' alarms started. Power was off and didn't come back until mid evening, so went round resetting all the devices that were flashing balefuly at me, as though the power interruption was my fault, then just tried to unwind and relax. Decided that I would get online this morning, and the power went again just as I was heading for the shower. It came back mid morning, so I want round doing all the resetting again, but the whole business has thrown all the other activities out of kilter that I've only just managed to sit down with the laptop. It's only when the power goes at night that you discover that most of your torches are cannisters for holding dead batteries - and of course you can never find the spares (or there's no spares the right sizes) and a heap of batteries goes on next week's shopping list - hopefully, I can find some buy one get one free offers somewhere.

Wet and windy here today, and not a lot more happening, so I'll probably check back later.

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

... It's only when the power goes at night that you discover that most of your torches are cannisters for holding dead batteries - and of course you can never find the spares (or there's no spares the right sizes)...

And then you leave all the old dead batteries lying around in bottom corners of drawers instead of throwing them out - and then you wonder why you can never find working batteries next time! laugh.gif

Late on parade today although I've been up a few hours - had a film night at the model engineering club my dad belongs to and I had to step in and provide technical assistance due to someone pulling out at the last minute. It all went surprisingly well considering. The night did drag on a bit though from 6 to 11pm I think. Got my first uni interview on Wednesday so I need to prepare my portfolio as there are bits missing from it and also think about the questions that they are likely to ask. Then I've got some geography coursework to re-do, not forgetting the continued preparation for our model show!

There's never a dull moment in this house I tell you laugh.gif

Does anyone know where I can buy some flowers without having to re-mortgage the house first?

Don't bother at this time of year! Wait a couple of days, and the price will drop right down again. :lol:

Valentines day always brings back memories of my University days - when I worked for a Garden Centre at weekends. Delivering flowers was always one of my favourite jobs, and it was always a good laugh. I can tell some pretty good stories from those days! ;)

As far as Valentines day itself is concerned - I will be glad when it's over :(

Morning All,

The day has yet to dawn - but the temperature is around 4°C, so not too chilly.

You never know Robert some lady might ask you out.

You never know! I live in hope :D

Have a good day everyone...

Guest Max Stafford

Mercifully, my night shift is entering it's last hour. Ten hours is a long time so imagine my annoyance when I came in last night to find that my owners have changed my three remaining nights to twelve hour shifts. Not that they'd bother asking, they just put it on the roster and that's it.

A well; sleep-work-sleep-work until Thursday morning for this 'resource'...

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

Grey and overcast this morning around here – I'll have to run a few errands later on. I've come to the conclusion I will take the exam which would be due tomorrow at a later date, so informing the relevant people at uni will be one of the things to do. I'm still too emotionally sore at this time for me to feel comfortable about attending an exam at this time.

Have a good day everyone...

Guest Max Stafford

Still a bit damp and gloomy up here Mick but yes, it's noticeably lighter in the morning now.

Am I the only one who's fed up of being referred to at work as a resource? It says a great deal about your organisation when it considers you the equal of a fax machine or a fork lift truck. I feel like mounting a public campaign to have those of us in work referred to as people again.

Where to start though, that's the thing... :rolleyes:

Goodnight folks.

Dave.

Guest Max Stafford

Still a bit damp and gloomy up here Mick but yes, it's noticeably lighter in the morning now.

Am I the only one who's fed up of being referred to at work as a resource? It says a great deal about your organisation when it considers you the equal of a fax machine or a fork lift truck. I feel like mounting a public campaign to have those of us in work referred to as people again.

Where to start though, that's the thing... :rolleyes:

Goodnight folks.

Dave.

Guest Max Stafford

The older I get, the more of a problem I have with authority - I getting to loathe it these days. I thought you were supposed to be like that when you were young!

Anyway, I should be in my bed now!

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It is light enough now to see how cloudy it is. When I first went down all I could determine was that it wasn't raining.

I never liked the term "human resource"; it seemed to have something of the 1984 or Soylent Green about it.

Tony

I had to google Soylent Green...

Morning all, another Monday! BoD - in your hunt for flowers, you could try that shop where "Every Little Helps" as they're doing 12 red roses for £5. Not that I bought any.

Still fairly dark outside but at least it's not snowing. One of the variable message boards on the M8 last night said that ice and snow were expected Sunday night / Monday morning.

Been another busy weekend where I don't really seem to have achieved anything other than DIY for SWMBO... Her place is looking great, mine now needs completely redecorating, new carpets etc. I've been in here nearly 8 years now and have got an awful lot of accumulated junk... Need to take a few days off work and do a major tidy, I think.

The older I get, the more of a problem I have with authority - I getting to loathe it these days. I thought you were supposed to be like that when you were young!

Anyway, I should be in my bed now!

Dave.

Dave, You're a great resource to RMWeb. Your canny wit and wisdom are basic to the human condition.

Best, Pete. (who also hated "Personnel" except one lady at EMI who had beautiful legs indeed)

Another week begins. 5 more days of sitting on my a*se doing b*gger all at taxpayer's expense. At the current burn rate they will run out of purchased time before they even get the actual project work started. Still, it pays the bills and lets me keep up to date on RMWeb. dry.gif