RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

I've been assembling Kadee couplings this morning. It isn't difficult to put the coupling into the draft box but each vehicle I've attached them to is different (some plastic, some metal) These are all the older American stock that I've obtained that have older couplings or the Mehano bargains I got from the Bachmann stand at Alexandra Palace last year. After a morning's work I now have another 4 freight cars to add to my roster. I think I should have waited for the new close work glasses to arrive though.

After I said it was dry earlier, it started raining, (probably the same lot that went over Gordon's house earlier. It is clearing now so time for a dog walk I think.

Tony

Even here in Scotland, I've rarely seen red squirrels. Edinburgh's swarming with greys. Last place I saw a red squirrel was at Loch of the Lowes, near Dunkeld. They have ospreys there too, and I did see one, but then was heading back to the car and a red squirrel was on one of the bird feeders.

Amazing, though, the changes in 100-150 years. Back then, the Highland Squirrel Club were shooting everything red that moved, and rewards were given out for each red squirrel tail handed in. Now we have a massive conservation effort, with some seriously strange characters going around trapping and shooting greys in the Tyne Valley. Similarly the sea eagles - shot to extinction and now we've spent 30 years reintroducing the flying barn doors to Scotland. the first batch to be released on the East coast of Scotland were set free a couple of years ago, and one of the first sightings of one afterwards was in the Asda car park in Dunfermline... :D

Back then, the Highland Squirrel Club were shooting everything red that moved, and rewards were given out for each red squirrel tail handed in.

They should have been shooting every grey squirrel that they saw! The red is indigenous to the UK whereas the grey is an american (yes - lower case 'a' deliberately) import which has effectively forced out the red.

Fortunately, the reds still have a few colonies in the UK, but the greys seem to be getting yet more prolific. Please cull the greys and return our natural population of reds!!

We get Red Kite's here as well Jack. They started off around Stokenchurch, roughly between Junction 4-6 of the M40 and you will see them at any time of the day.

The breeding programme has clearly been successful as they have be seen over our way and we are probably 15 miles away as the Kite flies.....

• RMweb Gold
...and, of course the Red Kite - realeased around the Black Isle some years ago and now a big breeding success

..and, according to some reports, eating young red squirrels.

I managed to get up to the Loch of the Lowes during last year's breeding season and caught sight of the opsreys. Fantastic.

After four days of hot Summer weather, yesterday cooled down and we had some drizzle. Today dawned overcast, but has now cleared though still cool. Very pleasant!

I missed the squirrel/bear/osprey/red kite discussion.

Good morning Robert.

Morning Don!

Morning everyone else,

Another blustery and drizzly morning here. The temperature is up around 6?°C and I expect it is going to be another battleship grey day.

Over here we only get red squirrels. I haven't seen a grey one.

Have a good day everyone :icon_wave:

• RMweb Premium

Morning ;) ...

Felt awfully warm when I woke up - but having the window tilted over night often gives me a sore throat in the morning, so I'm not sure which might be the better choice.

Just been tracking a package headed for me - wonder if I'll be able to pick it up tonight :D .

Felt awfully warm when I woke up - but having the window tilted over night often gives me a sore throat in the morning, so I'm not sure which might be the better choice.

Agree totally - the weather is stupid at the moment.

What we need is some blue sky and really cold weather. Anything would be better than this awful shade of battleship grey!

Good Morning All!

Dry one here today, still dark here, (and positively black when I left the house for the office!) So no Idea how many Oktas. Think I need to pump up the tyres on the push bike too! I share you tiredness Mick, isn't it Friday yet?? laugh.gif

Oh well, here we go again, at least it's not Monday! Have a good one everyone! Ride safely Jam, Robert et al!

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, Being a late riser I can see signs of a blue sky appearing! Not much exciting happening today apart from my Chinese language class. A bit of backscene repainting on the layout is in order this evening I think.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Hello all.

At the moment it seems quite warm and dry here. I have been given a shopping list so a trip to Tesco is planned this afternoon.

No squirrels to report yet, probably because the bird feeders need filling.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Morning all!

I'm off for a check up at the hospital in a little while. I'm almost certain they'll be adjusting my braces again...

Then it's off to college for one, perhaps two lessons depending on how quickly we get out of the hospital!

My front bike light seems to keep rolling around the bar... trouble is by the time you get home the lights pretty much gone anyway so it will be hard to fix it.

Too many late nights and cold mornings, it's about time I learnt to get to sleep earlier, plus I need a routine.

No squirrels have been round here yet, they tend to be in the forest more, although on my travels a deer did run out in front of me whilst on my way to college!

Morning all,

8 oktas of light grey stuff here too, not leaking yet, though.

My front bike light seems to keep rolling around the bar...

Well you shouldn't let it go down the pub on its own then!