The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

You cannot actually buy a sheet of eight by four. You may ask for it, the man in the timber yard may say its that size but the invoice will say either 2400x1200 which means you have been sold short or 2440x1220 which means it is eight by four but we cannot admit it!

It is important to know which you are getting. The roof boards were 2440x1220 but the plasterboard was 2400x1200 so do I use 16inch or 400mm centres for the joists? The joys of metrication.

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

They are taught about them now and do get confused  - and all because us old fuddy-duddies are too lazy or ingrained to change.

Runs for cover.

I was sure they got a mention somewhere in the National Curriculum. I think the numeracy bits of various vocational courses mentioned them as well. Not sure why they got a ministerial mention recently.

In East london stuff isn't sold by the pound or kilo, rather by the "bowl".

• RMweb Gold

Yes you can! Here in the USA... I can also buy decent planed 2x1 2x4 2x8 etc. (don't ask about the amount lost by planing)...

Best, Pete.

I've seen many more kilometre distance signs in the US than I've seen in the UK. ;) 

Since UK government pensions are being discussed, there's something you should be aware of if you're thinking of retiring outside the UK.  I've mentioned it in this topic before, but just in passing.

In many countries, UK pensions are frozen permanently at the rate they are paid when they are first collected. There are no annual increases paid. Many of the countries affected are Commonwealth countries e.g. Australia, New Zealand, Canada, India, Caribbean countries. It does not apply to EU countries, or in the USA.

This has been appealed all the way to the European Court of Human Rights. There doesn't seem to be any other legal option open.

Extreme examples, I know, but there are UK pensioners in Canada who moved here in the 1960s to be with family, who are receiving a pension of less than 20GBP per month. Apparently, there is a small but steady stream of expat UK pensioners returning to the UK because they cannot live abroad on the pension they're now receiving. Once in the UK, their pensions immediately change to the current rate.

So - if you're thinking of retiring outside the UK - check that your pension will be indexed in the country you're considering. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Extreme examples, I know, but there are UK pensioners in Canada who moved here in the 1960s to be with family, who are receiving a pension of less than 20GBP per month. Apparently, there is a small but steady stream of expat UK pensioners returning to the UK because they cannot live abroad on the pension they're now receiving. Once in the UK, their pensions immediately change to the current rate.

So - if you're thinking of retiring outside the UK - check that your pension will be indexed in the country you're considering. 

If they first drew their pension even at the end of the 1960s wouldn't they be over a hundred years old now?

• RMweb Premium

It's begun to snow earlier this afternoon, though I don't expect it to add up to much. However, it is nice to see the world covered with what looks like sugar powder!

It's somewhat amazing that I don't appear to tire out so quickly after my school days as I used to do during the past several weeks. It is only now that I am beginning to slack off, though to be fair, my classes today were largely well-behaved. The seveners I had in the first two periods but seemed fairly tense, which was rather unusual in light of them usually having been fairly lively. I guess this may well have had to do with my having come with a revision unit for a maths exam they'll be writing on Friday!

• RMweb Gold

Yes you can! Here in the USA... I can also buy decent planed 2x1 2x4 2x8 etc. (don't ask about the amount lost by planing)...

Best, Pete.

Sorry Pete I was thinking of over here. The point is some sheets are 8x4 but they cannot sell them as being that size whilst others are metric and just a bit short. If you ask for a bit of 8x2 joist it can be either genuine 8x2 or 200x50 or rough planned 195x45.  I would be interested to know what size your plasterboard is.

Don

I would be interested to know what size your plasterboard is.

Don

It is in multiples of the centre to center (natch) of stud framing! I can't remember what that is though. One of the things I like about the s'States in the standardization in sizes of various things, except Refrigerators for some reason....

Best, Pete.

If they first drew their pension even at the end of the 1960s wouldn't they be over a hundred years old now?

You're right - finger problems! I meant 1970s - and there are UK pensioners in their 90s here.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

One of the things I like about the s'States in the standardization in sizes of various things, except Refrigerators for some reason....

Best, Pete.

Don't you all have walk in refrigerators?

Seriously, apart from free standing fridges and freezers most domestic kitchen appliances are 600mm wide here.(obviously not toasters and kettles, I mean washing machines, ovens etc)

Edited by Tony_S

• RMweb Gold

You're right - finger problems! I meant 1970s - and there are UK pensioners in their 90s here.

I remember reading that in the late 1960s the USSR was reporting some really ancient citizens in Georgia. I think this went on until someone pointed out they must have had their first hundred years under Czarist rule.

I remember reading that in the late 1960s the USSR was reporting some really ancient citizens in Georgia. I think this went on until someone pointed out they must have had their first hundred years under Czarist rule.

Recently Japan has re-assessed its number of senior citizens because they found families would not like to admit their older generations had died. The average age of a Japanese "oldie" has therefore dropped significantly. The number of 110-y-o's and 120-y-o's has been slashed!

• RMweb Gold

Recently Japan has re-assessed its number of senior citizens because they found families would not like to admit their older generations had died. The average age of a Japanese "oldie" has therefore dropped significantly. The number of 110-y-o's and 120-y-o's has been slashed!

For many years I assumed the population of Japan (I know not why!) was similar to the UK. I was very surprised therefore to learn what it was when my son was doing A levels and he just mentioned it in conversation.

Our test bowlers would struggle to deliver a ball 1/8th of a mile (220 yds = 1 furlong). The cricket pitch is 22yds long - also called a chain. A Kilo is approximately 2.2Lbs.

That's what I said! ;)  One cricket pitch = 1 chain.  10 chains = 1 furlong.  8 furlongs = 1 mile.  So a cricket pitch is an eightieth of a mile!

He said eightieth, not eighth.....

Well spotted Neil! :)

• Like 2

Don't you all have walk in refrigerators?

Seriously, apart from free standing fridges and freezers most domestic kitchen appliances are 600mm wide here.(obviously not toasters and kettles, I mean washing machines, ovens etc)

There's one difference already, Washing Machines and Dryers are not considered Kitchen appliances. They either reside in the basement (old fashioned) or on the same floor as the bedrooms in a little utility room - makes sense when you think about it.

Btw I have no idea or visualization of what 600mmm is.....I'd be in trouble over there...

Best, Pete.