Any idea of the manufacturer? J&L?

I bought this Italian FS liveried cargowaggon type van a couple of years ago on a trip to Germany.

Does anyone know the munufacturer?

The only clue is the J&L moulded on the base.

Does it have anything to do with Jouef or Lima?

post-7244-1257342848405_thumb.jpg

post-7244-12573428675057_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Hi McGomaz,

I found your question yesterday, and so far have not found an answer.

Since no-one else here has given you a reply, I would suggest that you ask your question at www.modelrailforum.com where there is a dedicated HO section which is not yet overshadowed by American outline.

I have seen some of the Continental HO modellers here at RMweb also appear on rail forum; the more knowledgable folk may see your question more clearly there.

Regards,

Dave

• RMweb Gold

I don't know where it's from but it looks useful! Interestingly the inclined "L" looks like the Lima type - but that's purely speculation by me....

Would be interested to know about this. I assume you fitted the tension lock couplers - how does it look alongside OO stock?

How's your German http://cgi.ebay.at/TOP-RARITAT-2-Startset-von-Lima-Gleise-von-J-L-OVP_W0QQitemZ250517772712QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDE_Modellbau_Modelleisenbahnen?hash=item3a5405d9a8

Sounds like it is Jouef and Lima between Lima buying the former and Hornby acquiring them both. Looking up that Cargowaggon in its local release name might help, no idea what they would call it though.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all for the replies.

I forgot to mention in the first post that it was bought 2nd hand and came with no box.

It certainly does look to be a joint Jouef & Lima effort judging by the Ebay post, albeit in German. Unfortunately I haven??t a clue. Checking on Ebay Italy the J&L does appear a few times but I haven??t yet seen one of these wagons for sale. There seem to be boxes of track that were made by them too.

The tension lock was added by me. The original hook and loop is still present in its NEM pocket at the other end. It is quite light but a lovely runner. It stands at the same height as British vans, as do most of these continental made Cargowaggon types although I do have a Roco van of a Spanish Mail prototype that is actually way under scale.

I??ll see if I can take a photo tonight and post it tomorrow.

Sorry it has taken so long to reply. It didn??t get a reply for a few days so I thought it must have been lost way down on page 89 or so. I actually thought I??d get an automated email to say a reply had been posted but I obviously had not ticked the auto reply button.

In reply to Ramblin Rich??s request to see how the height measures up against some OO stock, I have at last managed to get round to taking a photo.

post-7244-12591583153409_thumb.jpg

post-7244-12591583528959_thumb.jpg

I suppose if I were honest, it does look a tad under scale but I aint??going to let it bother me too much.

• RMweb Gold

In reply to Ramblin Rich??s request to see how the height measures up against some OO stock, I have at last managed to get round to taking a photo.

I suppose if I were honest, it does look a tad under scale but I aint??going to let it bother me too much.

Thanks for taking that pic - a useful comparison!

• 5 years later...

I bought this Italian FS liveried cargowaggon type van a couple of years ago on a trip to Germany.

Does anyone know the munufacturer?

The only clue is the J&L moulded on the base.

Does it have anything to do with Jouef or Lima?

attachicon.gifCopia de 09-10-28 J&L Cargowaggon (1).jpg

attachicon.gifCopia de 09-10-28 J&L Cargowaggon (5).jpg

Yes, it has to do with Jouef and Lima before that lot from Margate with their harpoons of couplings  took over.  I think it is from the late 90s when RR (Rivarossi, Lima, Jouef and Arnold were together).  It is in the current FS now Trenitalia  livery (unfortunatly some Italian politicians has copied some of the Thatcherite ideas such spitting up the national railwat sistem and inventing Railtrack=RFI in Italian and Trenitalia instead of the time honoured FS from 1905 inspite of its problems).

Anyway it is a modern large capacity van.  It looks normal Continental size. Check with a ruler. If it is HO the buffers should be spaced 20mm.  There are and have been for decades narrow versions for GB use. 

One example: http://www.rivarossi-memory.it/Riva_carri_italiani/Rivarossi_Carro_Frigo_Hgb.htm.

Sorry about being long, but I lived in UK forv 30 years and I simply gave British outline with few exception thank to the silly overscale OO brigade!  Even dafter in these day of EU (sadly many modellers in GB espescially in SR areas are UKIP) and Channel Tunnel! Interestingly I discovered GNSR carriages in proper HO (1000miles from the Channel!). No wonder the Scots habve more sense.  Look at http://www.british-ho.com/and see what you think about it?

The Rivarossi models are around 1:80 scale and noticeably larger than H0 vehicles. They could possibly be pressed into service as 00 ferry vehicles. The Tri-ang  Hornby ferry vehicle stands about 2mm too tall, like most of their stock, which makes the H0 cargowaggon look even more undersized.

Without going into the politics of rail privatisation, IIRC it is originally a Japanese business model, pushed on the rest of the EU by British insistence* (it isn't all one way as the anti-EU brigade would have it and we do not adopt every EU ruling either).

* I doubt there was much persuasion required, as privatisation is an excellent way of cooking balancing the national accounts. (Just my opinion.....)

Archived