Meeth Halt

binesrail

HI Bins

Looking at the track plan i have you could getaway withit in a board 8 feet long , this would make it look a lot better and give the space to run longer trains.

Also you would be able to get a lot more of the land scape around the station as well , don' t give up on this one !.

If you like i will help you build it ,as i am only going to be making points for the next few months ,so i would have time to help you, just think of that Grass master ;) .

All the best

Darren

Ps i even have some spare wood!.

Please dont - I was looking forward to seeing this reach completion, as its a lovely location on a fascinating line. Your point about Meeth needing to be 14 feet long to be to scale shows the problems we have when we model - Meeth is probably about the smallest station on the main line network - yet there are many lovely layouts that are less than 14 feet.

Please dont give up!

Yep - shame that - I was looking forward to this one too...can we get a poll going to try and persuade you to keep it? ;)

Hi Chris, I agree with comments from BCNPETE and JohnR - keep the layout and you may come back to it later. I have often started things, stopped working on them, but have come back at a later date.

Richard

Thanks for all your lovley comments, its much apretiated. :)

But what if i were to model a station called Dunsbear Halt just two stations away from Meeth Halt on the way to torrington? This is a similer station with a single siding, level crossing and several railway related buildings and what is best of all i can build it almost to true scale.

Sorry to disapoint you all :( but i think im going to have to go with Dunsbear Halt.

I started thinking about this when i didnt like the track i layed on Meeth Halt and so i took it all up for relaying with peco code 75 and cork underlay. Whilst the track was off the bored and i now have a bare bacebored i spent several days thinking about how things would work and where they would go and decided i was being a bit ambitous trying to fit what should have been a 14 foot layout into 4 feet! and so reterned to my original plan to do Dunsbear Halt.

Any thought welcome...

Chris

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Chris - its your layout afterall, so do as your gut feeling.

The alternative sounds interesting and if you are more comfortable with that, I am sure it will turn out as you are hoping for.

Keep us regularly updated on your progress if you can :)

Good luck

I think im going to take a break from this layout and think it over, mainly because my modelling mind and likeing mind are at war! Dunsbear Halt is the more sensible option from a modelling point of view, where as Meeth Halt was started on the bacis that is is my faverut station on the line. hmmm he says :wacko:

so i shall think it over for a few days and see what i come up with.

Chris

right ive had a think over the last few days and im going to continue with Meeth Halt, because it my farerut station on the line and ive put in so much time and effert into reserch and buying extra rolling stock for it, i think it worth continuing with. :D sorry about this everyone. Track relaying starts next week with Peco code 75 insted of SMP track.

Ive also ordered a DVD about the line called "Memories of the Barnstaple, torrington and Halwill Junction line". Cant waight to watch it! :D

Speak soons and happy modelling.

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Chris,

Sounds like you have come to a sensible decision, considering that this is your favourite station on the line! What's the problem with the SMP track ? Even with some mis-givings the SMP points do look better that the Peco code 75 points, plus the SMP flexi track looks considerably better than Peco, particularily on a small layout!

You will need to make a start on the station building - just get yourself some plasticard and have a go (why not bring it along to the club one night?)

Richard

Chris,

Sounds like you have come to a sensible decision, considering that this is your favourite station on the line! What's the problem with the SMP track ? Even with some mis-givings the SMP points do look better that the Peco code 75 points, plus the SMP flexi track looks considerably better than Peco, particularily on a small layout!

You will need to make a start on the station building - just get yourself some plasticard and have a go (why not bring it along to the club one night?)

Richard

Hi Richard,

Althow the SMP track does look better, its just not strong enough and the sleepers are way to thin. I realy need somthing more robust and reliable, so ive decide that the best cheap option it to use Peco code 75 with Gaugemaster point motors insted of H&M point motors, and the peco track has thicker sleepers thich i feel is better for ballesting.

I will try and get some plasticard as soon as i can, and make a start on the platform and station building, and try and bring it along to the club when i start it. Are you going this week?

Cheers

Chris

Just a quick update,

Ive got the cork now glued down ready for the new track which i will lay tomorow. Im now happy with how things are looking and the alignment of the track, which is now bang on! Then its on to wiring, im going to use a Gaugemaster point motor because it can fit into the small space i need it to go into. There will only be one isolator and that will be located in the siding.

Ive also been asked to write up articles in the local railway magazien (Atlantic Coast Express) as part of a new modeling section (my idea :lol: ) So an article about the layout will be several parts as time goes on and the layout progreses. Dont worry i will be using spell checker! ;)

Also got a now DVD titled "Memories of the Barnstaple, Torrington and Halwill Junction lines" This is the new edition to with 20mins extra footage! :D I have to say that this is one of the best railway DVD's ive ever watched! and has everything i ever wanted to see in it!

I will do another update shortly.

Chris

Hi all,

New track now down so next onto the wireing and then painting the rails and gluing the ballest :D

Im defonatly happyer now the new track is down.

Next ive got to make a start on the platform and station building, these will be built out of plasticard then painted and weathered to fit the scean. Im looking forward to starting these! :D

Chris

Hi all,

Here are a few photos of the progress on the layout at the moment. All the track is now layed and ive been into town and bought myself a Gaugemater seep point motor which needs fixing to the layout and wireing up then all the electreonics for the layout will be finnished! :D

You may be able to notice in the photos the new alignment of the track compaired to the old track. The siding has a slight curve to it and the main rinning line is now a better shape.

Also because i cant put up any photos or original plans for the station on RMweb i have made a small track plan for you all, so you get a better idea of what im doing. ;)

Speak Soons and happy modelling.

Chris

p.s. My room look a bit tidier? :P

post-2641-0-35045900-1297015628_thumb.jpg

post-2641-0-14077600-1297015657_thumb.jpg

post-2641-0-96282000-1297015724_thumb.jpg

post-2641-0-35890600-1297015763_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Sorry i have not put up a post for some time, ive been very busy restoring SR parcels vans, signal box's, buying stationry engines, fireing, advertising, the list goes on :P

Not much to report im afraid. Ive finnished the bace boards the track and the wireing, its all running very well and im a happy chappy. :)

But im not such a happy chappy with Slaters Plasticard, as you may have seen in my video of testing Meeth Halt that ive started on the station buildings and platform. Ive finnished the skeliton of the building as platform and am waiting for my eched plasticard to arrive six weeks and four phone calls later! this im not very happy about and im still waiting <_<

Over the next day or so i might find the enthuseasum to paint the rails a nice rusty colour maby?

Speek soons and happy modeling.

Chris

• 5 weeks later...

Ello all,

Ive been busy busy over the last few days painting/weathering track work, ballesting and modifieing/weathering a Peco buffer stop. As you will also see i have started on the station building, shed and platform to. I have used is C+L 2mm light grey ballest on my track work and have so far finnished half of it. Im also in the process of making a point lever and rodding for the point into the yard. Anyway i will stop rambling, here are some photographs for you all.

Chris

post-2641-0-09102200-1305065352_thumb.jpg

post-2641-0-57130600-1305065366_thumb.jpg

post-2641-0-72965700-1305065411_thumb.jpg

post-2641-0-11609600-1305065434_thumb.jpg

Hi there Chris, what paint tins are they? like what colour?

and how did you apply the paint?

Thanks

Hi JackBlack,

The paints i have used for the track are Humbrol matt 33 and matt 29.

I have used the matt 29 to paint the rails and the matt 33 to paint the grease onto the pointwork and fishplates, as even towards the end of the railways life it was still very well maintained.

Hope this helps.

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris,

Looking good there. The 2mm ballast looks correct and the colour of the ballast and rails / sleepers looks good as well.

Will be interested to see how you get on with the point lever and rodding.

Archived