Costleigh - 4mm layout - mainly BR Blue

RandyWales

Hi again

Filling the gap alongside the warehouse at Cheapside are some shops.

A departure from my normal construction method using Wills sheets - this is Southeast Finecast Flemish Bond - Cutting all those window spaces out of thick Wills sheet would have been a nightmare.

The warehouse (50+ windows) was constructed out of Wills round-topped window sheets, so no finger/wrist pain involved there if you're wondering.

Incidentally - is there any way I can change the banner to the topic, as the content has moved on from construction of the warehouse?

Randall

post-6897-0-74925000-1337422628.jpg

...Incidentally - is there any way I can change the banner to the topic, as the content has moved on from construction of the warehouse?...

Yes, go to your original post at the start of the thread, click on Edit, then Use Full Editor. From there, you can change title, subtitle, etc.

Nick

Love the warehouse, I need something very similar for a current project and this fits the bill perfectly.

Thanks John...

As I outlined in the OP, the Wills round-topped windows pack formed the basis of the structure.

My main recommendation would be to ensure that you join the sheets against a long straight-edge.

I butted the sheets horizontally together having first cut chamfers on adjoining sheets resulting in a sight overlap like this \\

I also removed top and bottom couple of courses from each sheet to get rid of the moulding pips. This ensured a straight butt joint with strength.

The supplied window arch mouldings (3-brick arches) were replaced by joining two single brick quarter arches - these are available in the Wills arch mouldings pack.

The ledges (which cover the joins) are a six-brick section overlayed with a 3-brick section with the ledge itself from a strip of thick plastic card.

Hope this helps....

Randall

Yes, go to your original post at the start of the thread, click on Edit, then Use Full Editor. From there, you can change title, subtitle, etc.

Thanks Nick...

Don't know quite how I did it....there doesn't appear to be a Save button....

I clicked a few times and luck took over...

Randall

Hi all...

This is the original concept description for Costleigh & Cheapside posted about three years ago on an earlier version of RMweb....

Randall

post-6897-0-05311000-1337466219.jpg

post-6897-0-24293600-1337466232.jpg

Costleigh.

I've finished the tracklaying on Costleigh, my new loft layout (around 21 feet by 6 feet) which is constrained by having a chimney breast slap bang in the middle of one of the (long) sides. I've been just about able to squeeze a single track behind it, so a double track mainline around the loft was out of the question. However, I still wanted to be able to run full-length trains if at all possible. I realised that adopting the 'conventional' layout planning method of having the station boards down one side with fiddle yard down the other wouldn't work. My situation meant that if I used the unobstructed side for the scenic boards, the fiddle yard would be cut in half by the chimney breast. It just wasn't workable. I therefore had to think how to make the best use of what I had, (and I didn't want gradients to lower or higher level fiddle yards). My biggest headache was the potential total waste of prime modelling space down the unobstructed side of the loft. To accommodate full-length trains, I accepted that I would need to have the traditional ladder-type fiddle yard, and I reluctantly decided that they would have to occupy the unobstructed side. I still couldn't come to terms with giving up all that space, so I set about thinking what else I could do to accommodate the storage sidings, whilst maximising operational interest and potential for scenic expansion.

The seed started to germinate, and I began to think about how I could utilise this 'brown field' site as an integral part of the layout.

I decided to scenify the fiddle yard, and run trains to and from what would hopefully appear to be a large set of sidings alongside a double-track main line. I created a plan that seemed to fulfil my requirements. Time has proven that I was spot on, and I've found it easy to accept that the trains will never run anywhere except round and round.

The chimney breast acts as a break between the scenic sections and, unbelievably, the convergence into a single track added considerably to the total operational interest of the layout as a whole. This breakthrough also meant that I had immediately doubled my modelling area.

The final clincher was the decision to split the running lines in the hidden sections (around the curve at one end) and be able to store trains 'offstage' a train can depart the scenic area and be stopped and held in a loop, allowing a following train to ˜overtake' it. It has been quite easy to trick the senses on departure and arrival sequences.

Trains have to give way at Costleigh New Cut station, as the line converges into the single track, which gives a real-life reason to halt trains at the platforms. Operational potential is increased as this idea also applies to trains further back up the line. A strategically placed signal means that a following train is brought to a halt on the main line, whereas in reality, its locomotive is stopped only two feet away from tail light of the train in front – this trick uses the hidden curves at the other end of the layout to hide the rear half of the train that is standing in the station.

The final area introduces Costleigh Cheapside station, a suburban terminus with a large warehouse, which will pander to the shunting elements that I wanted to embrace.

• 1 month later...

Ooo errr Mrs...he's finally flipped - call the men in white coats :fool_mini2:

Mrs RW was out walking the dog, and I went upstairs to take advantage of an hour alone (How dare you !...Playing trains I mean).

For twenty minutes, I sat and did nothing else except to watch and listen to my Bachmann sound-equipped Class 25 as she stood idling in the yard at Cheapside.

This in itself was very theraputic - my mind slipped into a trance-like state - it was taking me back to the early 70's lineside.

Thoughts drifted back to the times when I used to sit in the local park with my uncle Hugh and his dog Blackie.

We used to sit and watch the trains running in and out of Swansea High Street, over the viaduct at Landore - through his binoculars.

Hmmm, I thought :scratchhead:

I wondered what it would be like to view my model railway through binoculars.

It was a bl00dy revelation!

To sit at one end of the loft, and to watch a train entering the long straight and running through was absolutely amazing.

Even better, to watch the ten-coach train run away to the far end and disappear under the bridge was spectacular.

Looking through the binoculars, the model train is optically shortened - just like the real thing is.

I really wish I could describe the feeling in words.

Obviously, the view is restricted to the two round eyepieces, which means the visible area is minimal, hence all the external distractions in the loft were gone.

Also, the scenic details such as the (extremely) long retaining wall, signals are really satisfying to the eye through binoculars - very, very realistic.

When the train gets too close to the viewing position, things obviously start to get blurred.

I wonder if I can get a pair of binoculars that can have the focal length adjusted right down to almost zero so I can keep the train in focus for the whole trip.

Yes...I've finally flipped!

Finally though, a couple of images of the ongoing construction of the shopfronts at Cheapside.

Randall

post-6897-0-91789600-1340560302.jpg

post-6897-0-12948500-1340560420.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

When the train gets too close to the viewing position, things obviously start to get blurred.

I wonder if I can get a pair of binoculars that can have the focal length adjusted right down to almost zero so I can keep the train in focus for the whole trip.

Hi all...

Further to my previous post, where I eulogised about using binoculars to view the layout, I've managed to talk Mrs RW into fancying a pair of binoculars of her own, rather than sharing mine when we're out on a ramble.

I showed her some advertisments and she agreed with my "suggestion" that she could also use it to view butterflies and insects close-up. "I'd love that", she said.

Therefore I've ordered the Pentax Papilio from Amazon.

post-6897-0-02861900-1341751974.jpg

"The Papilio is a unique binocular. Of course it's a fine and compact companion on nature trails and holidays, but when your interests are flowers, insects, birds or butterflies (or model trains :jester: ),

the Pentax Papilio allows close focus to 50cm".

Did I do wrong?

Randall

Hi again...

OMG!

WOW!

Those were Mrs RW's reactions when she viewed a garden rose close up with the new Pentax Papilio binoculars.

My reaction was very similar when I viewed my Costleigh layout with them.

The pair I bought are 8.5x21 - which are now officially owned by Mrs RW as I have ordered the 6.5x21 for myself at slightly less magnification (6.5 times bigger as opposed to 8.5 times bigger).

My first impression was that they were much too powerful, as everything was H-U-G-E.

However, I soon got used to strategically placing myself for the best views.

Another thing that takes a bit of getting used to is continually rolling the focus wheel as the train approaches or retreats down the track, although I've learnt that it's best to stop following the locomotive and allow the train to move through the current focus setting before refocusing on a new point.

I would say that viewing a moving train at the closest focus of approximately eighteen inches is akin to standing a few feet from the platform edge as there's a very small field of view and you can only see one (huge) window at a time as the train moves past. If my coaches had passengers, I would probably wave at them....it' that realistic.

It's best to run trains at a slow speed if only to wonder at the spectacle.

I've also been incredibly impressed by the level of detail on models of today, detail that is normally invisible to the naked eye, especially for someone like me fast approaching sixty.

Tiny lettering is perfectly legible from three or four feet:

• Works plate on a Bachmann 20t Brake Van.
  • "Emergency Lighting Point" lettering on the solebar of a Mk1
  • "Earth Here" lettering on tucked away on the underframe of a TEA bogie tank wagon
  • "Weight and Tare" information on the side of a VGA van.

It's difficult to describe the spectacle of looking at a model through these binoculars. my best analogy would be the equivalent of looking at a High Definition photograph of your favourite model locomotive in a browser window that is zoomed to 400%.

Except that the binocular view is in 3D.

The detail revealed is incredible, the only drawback is that specks of dust now look like tennis balls.

I will certainly be taking them with me on my next exhibition visit, and I can't wait to visit Pendon again. Bu66er the odd looks.

I would suggest Pete Waterman equips his team with a pair each, to take viewing Leamington Spa to a totally new level. (I'd expect an invitation as thanks for the idea, Pete).

Ditto Jim S-W's New Street.

It's a whole new way to view a model railway - a way that is taking me back through time, to the days that I am trying to recreate - the reason why we model in the first place.

I would advise anyone to buy these binoculars. For those with a better half, it'd be a huge feather in your cap when she's sitting in the garden on a nice day looking at hugely magnified images of her flowers and plants and the insects that inhabit them.

A rose head is the size of a dinner plate - in 3D too.

I've justified buying my own pair as Mrs RW was reluctant to hand them over for my turn!

Plus we do a lot of walking and vista-viewing

These binoculars are unique.

OMG!

WOW!

Indeed!

Randall

Edited to correct Special Character problems

Hi all...

Train detection

Costleigh’s design is distinctive because it has a “scenic fiddle-yardâ€, due to constraints outlined in an earlier post.
It does, nonetheless, have a few hidden loops where trains can be held offscene and overtaken by a following train. It all adds to the operational variety, and this is made easy by using DCC.
I’ve been looking at ways to implement a train detection system for the offscene loops so as to be able to stop trains in the right place.
However, I was daunted by the fact it would require sophisticated electronics that I haven’t used before.
Coincidentally, Nigel Larkin’s article in this month’s BRM advocates using DCC-based block detection which uses current flow to determine where a train is located, and this seemed the ideal solution.

All of a sudden, I had a brainwave and remembered that I had a miniature CCTV camera that I bought for use on my Maenol Mine 7mm Micro Layout.

The camera is used for revealing the coal-loading process, as demonstrated here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF7Le0r4ys4&feature=plcp

A quick rig-up and adjustment of the lens focus and my train detection worries on Costleigh were over.

post-6897-0-98905300-1342353592.jpg

Randall

• 9 months later...

Hi all...

Dilemma puts Costleigh into perspective - literally

With the sea changes taking place on the 7mm ready-to-run front, I’ve become increasingly drawn (back) towards an O gauge layout of some sort.

I’ve got some 7mm stock that I placed into storage until SWMBO and myself are able to buy our dream house (with the impending lottery winnings, of course).

Meantime, with the 7mm Dapol Class 08 and Heljan Class 52 Western on the horizon, I’ve found that I’ve been spending lots of time following the 7mm Forum on RMWeb.

I then discovered this

-Oldham King Street Parcels by David Hampson, which increased my yearnings.

The cogs turned and I overlayed the 4mm fiddle yard with some O gauge track.

I wondered if I could dig up the existing 4mm Costleigh scenic fiddle yard and replace it with a similar layout to Oldham King Street Parcels but in 7mm scale.

My intention was to keep the OO gauge continuous run around the loft if possible, hidden behind the O Gauge backscene.

However, there was a very surprising benefit from my experiment.

The view of the 4mm trains are IN PERSPECTIVE when viewed from a low level across the 7mm tracks, especially with 7mm stock in the field of vision.

The photo shows the outcome.

post-6897-0-27103600-1366554592.jpg

In a static photograph, it does look a bit odd, I admit, but when things are moving, you tend to focus on the trains.

I will mask the interface between the two with some fencing suitable for both scales, as shown.

I know views are not going to be ‘scale-interchangeable’ all the time, and I will probably run separate sessions depending on my mood, maybe removing 7mm buildings etc, .

However, I hope I should be able to selectively ‘tune-out’ the OO gauge tracks when viewing the O Gauge layout, and I’ve already proven that by ducking down to track level, I get the additional benefits of the view in perspective as a full length 4mm train passes through.

Going forward, it should be fun running a 4mm version of a train around the loft, and have it arrive, and be shunted in the 7mm station, having undergone a Scale/Gauge transition on the way.

Another major benefit is that the 4mm Costleigh is already wired for DCC – I will be able to utilise the BUS for the O gauge layout.

Anyway, the 4mm fiddle yard is now history, and construction is underway.

The new station could be called Costleigh Severnside.

regards

Randall

Hi again...

A few more fun (and crude) photos showing some 4mm/7mm perspective images :-)

I think it'll be quite convincing when the scenics are complete.

When the 4mm models are running I'll need to ensure the 7mm stock is at the front edge of the layout to ensure there is adequate separation.

post-6897-0-25045600-1366576661_thumb.jpg

post-6897-0-95525000-1366576714_thumb.jpg

post-6897-0-61766600-1366576776_thumb.jpg

post-6897-0-45950200-1366576922_thumb.jpg

regards

Randall

Hi again....

Track laying for the 7mm layout is progressing apace - everything is cut and prepared ready...next step is to stick it all down, and then on to ballasting.

However, I'm still having fun with perspective views....

Now, I don't possess the modelling skills to take this perspective thing foward, but I feel a challenge to the likes of Sandhills might just produce a Champions League title winner.

Back in Seventies, the late Jack Nelson was a pioneer, but I don't recall anything since.

Is there anyone out there willing to perspect?

regards

Randall

post-6897-0-01488800-1366848790_thumb.jpg

One more before bedtime....

If you are wondering why all the walls are white....I'm still trying to pluck up the courage to give them a coat of thinned black.

Reminder... the signal box is 7mm scale and the VGA is 4mm.

They are less than 12" apart.

Randall

post-6897-0-46305600-1366852194_thumb.jpg

Nice layout, but as you said viewing things is sooooo much better when looking through binoculars, like when I had a day watching the Olympic Triathlon in Hyde Park last summer. Being stuck on the other side of the lake to the finish line/transition zone you could'nt see much through normal eyes, but then the experience all changed when my Mum said she had brought my small binoculars and you could see the athletes really clearly just like on TV (but not as good as TV as you are still watching on the other side of a lake!)

Guest jonte

Hi Randall

Looking good.

Has the signal box had the usual DAS treatment?

Looking forward to seeing the weathering in the form of black thinned enamel paint; this is one method I'm adopting in future if you don't mind.

Best wishes,

Jonte

Thanks SammyB...

I still use the binoculars to watch the trains go by on the layout, but since I've started the rebuild in 7mm, I now realise that the binoculars zoom the 4mm models up to Gauge 1 size. It's wierd seeing my 4mm models looking relatively BIGGER than the 7mm ones....

Regards

Randall

Hi Jonte...

I wasn't happy with the previous paint job, so I've stripped it and used the DAS method

The box is a modified resin one from Skytrex.

It looked slightly too tall as bought, so I removed about eight brick courses...

Now it's more like the box at Blue Anchor on the WSR.

Randall

Guest jonte

Hi Randall,

I'm a massive fan of your soot stained brick method so will be looking to see the box develop.

Novel idea, btw, using forced perspective. A long time since I've seen this done (was it Jack (Knight?), the LNWR modeller who first exploited this idea ?).

Good luck, anyway,

Jonte

Thanks Jonte....

It was Jack Nelson.

I would have loved to have seen his dioramas in real life, having been so impressed by the photographs.

I don't intend to follow in his footsteps and attempt to use forced perspective as a way forward on the layout.

I don't think it would be possible, as perspective originates from a single point in the distance, and as soon as you move, all the angles change.

What I have proved, though, is that if you have fixed viewing points, then a sort of psuedo-perspective can exist.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, it was just a bit of fun, but it does seem to be capable of deceiving the eye and the camera lens.

Alternatively, it could be the means of combining a continous main line run in 4mm with a close-focus 7mm layout for shunting.

I think with an eye-level view and a 12" to 18" gap between the different scales using scenic items of appropriate size with considerate placing, it might work.

regards

Randall

Archived