Costleigh - 4mm layout - mainly BR Blue

RandyWales

Guest jonte

Hi again....

Ignoring the lack of paint on the Tube wagon, and ignoring the track in the second photo, which do you think looks more realistic?

No contest is there, really?

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

regards

Randall

Second photo, Randal, IMHO.

Coming along nicely.

Jonte

Ha ha ha!

You were meant to say "the first one", Jonte...

I made a glaring omission earlier, when I referred to the late Jack Nelson's perspective dioramas as being unique.

I totally forgot Stubby47’s excellent 'View from a carriage window'.

Sorry Stu.

Stu's construction was chronicled here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/42093-from-a-carriage-window/page-6

post-6897-0-90784100-1367149822.jpg

Guest bri.s

Interesting layout you got there really like what your doing the depth looks quite convincing from the low angles will be watching with interest

Brian

Guest jonte

Ha ha ha!

You were meant to say "the first one", Jonte...

I made a glaring omission earlier, when I referred to the late Jack Nelson's perspective dioramas as being unique.

I totally forgot Stubby47’s excellent 'View from a carriage window'.

Sorry Stu.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

50: 50 chance of getting it right!!!!!!! Story of my life, Randall........................

Best wishes,

Jonte

Hi again...

Thanks to Jonte, AeroKen1 and Bri.S for their kind comments...

Track is now laid ready for ballasting on the O gauge section of 'the Costleigh development'....

I've put a few placeholders in to fill the gaps.

This image shows, I think, that there's not too much visual difference between the scales from this angle.

I wish now that I had space for a further two or three inches of separation.

Regards

Randall

post-6897-0-35190200-1367276884_thumb.jpg

Hi again....

I'm hoping to get some power fed into the 7mm layout over the weekend, and I'm looking forward to shooting a video to show just how views like these mixed scale shots are capable of deceiving the eye.

post-6897-0-21617100-1367538940_thumb.jpg

Hi again....

Just to show that things are moving forward 7mm-wise...

The front edge of the baseboard will be extended by about nine inches - foamboard scenic work.

The building in the middle-distance will be upright...the 'stone work' is still detached from it's foamboard framework.

For those who haven't yet encountered my ramblings... the Class 47 and the VGA in the background are 4mm OO gauge... not quite the optimum angle for viewing, but scroll back a few posts and all will be revealed.

Says he who also views his layout through binoculars....

Randall

post-6897-0-02202900-1367798679_thumb.jpg

Liking the layout, however one thing keeps confusing me. I'm struggling to grasp how the 0 gauge section relates to the 00 gauge section. Is it possible to post a track plan showing 7mm with 4mm?

Thanks

Liking the layout, however one thing keeps confusing me. I'm struggling to grasp how the 0 gauge section relates to the 00 gauge section. Is it possible to post a track plan showing 7mm with 4mm?

Thanks

Hi Ginger....

Sorry for any confusion...

The two scales aren't really inter-related... they are two different layouts - the 7mm layout fits in the space that the 4mm fiddleyard used to occupy.

Earlier posts just pointed out a totally coincidental "perspective" appearance during a test phase.

I wanted to keep the continuous run of the 4mm layout, so rather than hide it behind the 7mm backscene, I'm just going to mask it by low walls etc. and take advantage of low viewing positions that just make it seem as if the 4mm trains really are part of the 7mm scene.

Because they are smaller, they look further away, which is a mirror of real life (because things that are further away look smaller).

I think the photos show that it does sort of work, with a big dollop of imagination, I suppose.

It all means I can have a really interesting 7mm shunting layout, and still retain the capability of running full length main line trains on the 4mm sections - the best of both worlds in the space that I have.

The 4mm trackplan is shown on an earlier topic page.... just take out all bar the two tracks running around the outside.

The 7mm trackplan is almost identical to Oldham King Street Parcels as shown in the video on an earlier post I made.

I still have enough hidden sidings around the ends to replace the fiddleyard per se.

Hope this makes things a bit clearer?

Randall

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again...

Progress on the 7mm layout, with the foam board frontage creating space for the retaining walls.

The platform shell is built and the overbridge support walls have been fabricated ready for assembly.

The support walls at the rear have a cutout as shown to allow the 4mm trains to enter the scene.

Viewing trains through the arches is extremely realistic, hence plenty of arches.

The difference between the two scales becomes less and less apparent, I think because the railway 'infrastructure' is common to both and it all seems to 'fit' somehow.

But that's just my opinion!

Randall

Edited for spelling.

post-6897-0-18707200-1369469709_thumb.jpg

Further progress with the overbridge supports and retaining walls.

I might yet decide to build a trainshed instead of an overbridge, because I like the views through the arches and a hipped trainshed would let in more light...

Hmmmm!

Randall

post-6897-0-16994800-1369644164_thumb.jpg

post-6897-0-02651900-1369644202_thumb.jpg

post-6897-0-96973900-1369644256_thumb.jpg

Hi again...

Major civil engineering still underway on the 7mm version of Costleigh....

I decided against an overall roof. Views through the arches under the roadway will be enhanced by subtle platform lighting.

To me, this shot seems to portray the 7mm tracks on an embankment and the 4mm stock to be on a lower level in the middle distance.

It's still not my intention to have both scales running at the same time, but I honestly think I may be able get away with it more often than I first thought.

Randall

post-6897-0-86223200-1369948790_thumb.jpg

Hi again....

Sorry guys, but I have to ask why this mix of scales hasn't provoked a tad more interest...

I know I must seem rather eccentric, using binoculars to view my layout etc, but surely there must be some kind of validity in mixing scales like this?

Or does it just look crap?

Randall

post-6897-0-38915900-1370209888_thumb.jpg

Might as well take the bait..... From certain angles the mix of scales is very effective. However, the bridge crossing both the scales looks rather odd to me - maybe the two different heights? Just a thought.

Might as well take the bait..... From certain angles the mix of scales is very effective. However, the bridge crossing both the scales looks rather odd to me - maybe the two different heights? Just a thought.

I did keep my head down for 24hrs.... so thanks Ginger.J, D. Winpenny and Jonte for responding....

Ginger....Things do look odd from MOST angles, but they also look amazingly authentic when framed correctly...and I don't mean just through the camera lens either...It works with the naked eye too, probably more so!

Running different scale trains to compliment each other works for me....it's very hard to put into words.

I accept your comment that the bridge looks rather odd in the photograph, but when trains are moving, you just don't notice details like that.

I will admit, the true perspective appearance would probably be even more authentic with 2mm and 4mm due to that millimetre less (as would few more inches seperation between 7mm and 4mm), but the bulk realism of foreground 7mm stock, and the 'just in the middle distance' appearance of 4mm stock can be unreally real (???)

I'm just beginning to feel that there is a huge amount of untapped authencity that could be unleashed by mixing scales if it is done properly.

Back into my bunker

Randall

Hi again....

Hope everyone is enjoying the warmer weather....

More civil engineering progress on the 7mm layout.

The low bridge crosses a canal, with the Peco 2mm scale girder bridge forming a footbridge crossing.

The bridge consists of massive steel girders which support the railway, but you'd never know.

Randall

post-6897-0-03204100-1370642195_thumb.jpgpost-6897-0-08584600-1370643522_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived