DLT's SR Locos - Lord Nelson Craftsman Kit

DLT

• RMweb Premium

What do you do with the W/M parts, or do they remain and the brass is overlayed?

Depends how good they are dimensionally.  On this one the cab remains and the brass is added as overlays.  

That way I can use thinner brass as it isn't structural, and the whitemetal gives the loco some much needed weight.

Cheers, Dave.

• Like 1

Got the main cabsheets finished, bunker rear and cab interior still to do.

attachicon.gifIMG_0955 small.jpg

Cheers, Dave.

Hi Dave

I am assuming the two pieces showing in the door aperture are to keep the shape whilst you are handling the parts?

Will you solder to the whitemetal or use a glue?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave

I am assuming the two pieces showing in the door aperture are to keep the shape whilst you are handling the parts?

Will you solder to the whitemetal or use a glue?

Hi Bryan,

Correct, I've already bent them once.  The sides are a little delicate, being held together by the narrow strip above the opening. 

In this case I will glue using Araldite.  My go-to method is always to solder, but as the cab is already soldered together I don't want to take any risks.

Cheers, Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Ok, confession time.

The decision to use the whitemetal cab and add brass overlays has not worked out.  I was spending so long adapting the whitemetal parts, and constantly bending the assembly back to shape during handling that I realised I could have scratchbuilt a new cab in a lot less time.  And then when the whitemetal fell apart I decided enough was enough.

So I'm using the finished overlays to make a new cab, but because I made them from 10thou brass instead of 15thou, they will need some strengthening here and there.

Note to self:  Do a proper job to start with; as what looks like a short-cut may well turn out to be a long-way-round.....

So I'm sure you will understand that there are no progress photos to show.

Dave.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Dave,

Shite happens to the best of us mate, (I wouldn't actually know, as i'm definitely not the best of us).

I'm sure you'll have it sorted in no time!

Jack

Edited by Jack P

• RMweb Premium

I was spending so long adapting the whitemetal parts, and constantly bending the assembly back to shape during handling that I realised I could have scratchbuilt a new cab in a lot less time.  And then when the whitemetal fell apart I decided enough was enough.

I feel your pain. I swore off whitemetal kits years ago, but then your thread made me think perhaps something could be made of them after all. So I got a DJH J35 a few months back. I spent three evenings trying to file the boiler round and then realised it would have been a lot faster to roll a new one in brass. The w/m footplate has valances of 1mm depth instead of 1.5, so will be binned, after I decide whether it's too much trouble to try to save the splashers; and the w/m flare around the tender doesn't have a representation of the curved corners at the front, so is also heading binwards. Basically, everything that is w/m in the kit has to be replaced with scratchbuilt parts in brass. (To be fair, most of the brass parts in the kit are rubbish too, though I have got a reasonable set of tender frames out of my 95-quid investment.) I am now, needless to say, back in barge-pole mode with w/m kits. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I feel your pain too, I've had some kits like that!

Some kits are very old now, and were often compromised by being designed around an existing "close enough" Hornby chassis or the need to power it with an enormous open-frame motor.

I'm not put off whitemetal though, there are some very good kits out there.  Many have been re-designed in more recent years and include an accurate etched chassis.

Sorry to hear of your bad experience though.

All the best,

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

So I'm using the finished overlays to make a new cab, but because I made them from 10thou brass instead of 15thou, they will need some strengthening here and there.

Dave.

The cab is at last in one piece, but very delicate.  The next job is internal strengthening, the cab floor will be a hefty chunk of PCB which should give it some much needed solidity.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Right, we have a cab at last.  I'm not going to detail its construction as I would not recommend the method.  And it would take too long....

Suffice to say that its strong and stable, and I think looks like what its supposed to look like.

242029296_IMG_0958small.jpg.24baae8ecaa71139950555b4b0c441bc.jpg

1615242063_IMG_0962small.jpg.38067362ace0b5f597e2edeb9b10e42d.jpg

More to follow.

Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Here's a couple more with all the bits assembled so far.  Starting to look like a loco now.

Next jobs are the cab roof and coal rails, then on to some details at last.

9178837_IMG_0970small.jpg.d6a38d7aa8df382048a23ff65fdcced6.jpg

1423874467_IMG_0971small.jpg.2445a34e9987259e0d196d0ff0d6bd28.jpg

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 14

Wow look at that. I was going to send you a swear box. But it looks like it won't be necessary now.

It is Brighton Works fault not yours - but it is still right up there with some of the worst proportioned locos! Especially so when years before they were turning out those graceful B2 and B4 4.4.0s and sweetly proportioned Terriers, D1 tanks and even the J tanks. There were more abominations to come: the rebuilt E6X is also particularly odd and the Leader the grandaddy. Perhaps Brighton redeemed themselves with the Standard 4 tank? But wasn't the last thing to come out of Brighton works the Invacar? [which I have a soft spot for too].

I have to say that more esoteric locos hold much more appeal to me than any of those well proportioned classics you get on greetings cards and company publicity.

• Like 1

It is Brighton Works fault not yours - but it is still right up there with some of the worst proportioned locos! Especially so when years before they were turning out those graceful B2 and B4 4.4.0s and sweetly proportioned Terriers, D1 tanks and even the J tanks. There were more abominations to come: the rebuilt E6X is also particularly odd and the Leader the grandaddy. Perhaps Brighton redeemed themselves with the Standard 4 tank? But wasn't the last thing to come out of Brighton works the Invacar? [which I have a soft spot for too].

I've always thought that the E6X was a rather handsome brute, the smaller wheels looking much better than the E5's larger ones.  There were some other less attractive rebuilds, the D1X and D3X were desperately ungainly, yet the E1X looked surprisingly modern and a precursor for the E2 tanks, whilst the C2X, which perhaps should have been a visual disaster, was much loved by many, and the original somewhat weedy C2 rather overlooked.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The cab-roof in the kit was pretty good for detail, but unfortunately its massive thickness made it a non-starter.  I've done a brass replacement, with the detail based on the original plus what I can glean from photos (photos of can roofs are not common!)

Anyway, the cast roof was filed down to be a snug fit inside the cab, providing a good base to fix the brass roof to, with positive location.

1451936214_IMG_0972small.jpg.30113097361772b1a52f36965542b63c.jpg

43641670_IMG_0974small.jpg.43e204255c5931ec77744c949f3a9369.jpg

The sheeted-in coal rails are the next job, and I'm doing them by soldering three lengths of .45mm straight brass rod to a thin piece of sheet.  Not sure how clear the photo is.

2014873088_IMG_0976small.jpg.49fe00089d5db01784f42c5f198b88cc.jpg

In case you are wondering how I did this, I soldered the first length on the edge, with everything pushed up against a non-metallic straight edge.  Using a spacer of the right thickness (in this case a length of PCB sleeper-strip) soldered the second and then third lengths in place.  it then took ages to scrape & file off the excess solder....

1708570648_IMG_0985small.jpg.6a5b7a75c16c2fa4744a48021f1dc686.jpg

I'm not going to attempt to bend this, so I will cut/file the three sections from it and fit them individually.

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I've filed two pieces to go in the bunker sides, shaped to fit the flare of the bunker rear.  Once they are secured in place, the third bit will be filed to fit in between them.

1138980471_IMG_0987small.jpg.6d785daa558cbcd09abfdf29f0d8a797.jpg

Or that's the plan anyway...

Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1