The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Our Armed Forces

Lawrence

This is a non political plea for support, the whys and wherefores have been done to death and I have no wish to generate discussion on wars, it is a simple plea to help our fellow men and women.

We are nearing the stage where members of our armed forces who are leaving soon for, or have just arrived, in theatre, are going to be stuck there over the Christmas period.

It is the hardest time for these soldiers, airmen and sailors to be away from their loved ones but if you want to try and make life that little more bearable for them, please visit <a href="http://www.supportoursoldiers.co.uk/index.html" target="_blank">http://www.supportoursoldiers.co.uk/index.html

and consider sending a shoe box of goodies out to them. All the instructions are on the website, you only pay for UK postage.

Please don't think that loads of others do it and they get these things all the time, I can assure you that every single package received by the lads and lasses out there are most welcome.

I know things are tight for everyone right now but if you could afford a couple of quid it would be fantastic and you will affect someone's life, if you don't have the time to make up a box, you can make a donation of just £5 and they will put that towards a box for someone.

Thanks for reading this guys, and if you act upon it, thank you again

Guest Max Stafford

As a supporter of this group and H4H, I'd say I'm up for this. Some work colleagues and I organised some boxes two years ago although we held back last year due to stories claiming that it choked up the logistical chains in Helmand if that be true.

I assume a slightly different system is in operation this year?

Dave.

We have received a letter from the MOD at work asking NOT to send parcels out this Christmas but to show your support by donating to an existing charity.

As Max has said and indeed the MOD in the letter, the problem is that the Armed Forces are flooded with gifts of goodwill from members of the public sending packages to personnel they don't know. This prevents the packages from the close families getting to their destination in time for Christmas. To quote from the the letter

"Although parcels from the public are well received, if it means that mail from family and friends does not get through, it can cause disappointment and heartache."

Having looked at the mentioned website it does say that they have permission from the MOD and BFPO to send care packages, maybe they have their own logistic arrangements??

I am in full support of our troops and I am just passing on additional info.

Many thanks

Scott

Archived