8ft x2ft.......round and round

colin@gorleston

• RMweb Premium

If you must have a bay platform (mutter cliché mutter grumble*) you can do it without either an additional loop or a double slip on a running line. Reinstate the second crossover and run round in the up platform before shunting to the bay to await departure (or just depart from the up platform if it's a quick turnaround).

post-6813-080592100 1288216936_thumb.gif

You could even squeeze in a loco shed (though I can't find room for a turntable :lol: )

post-6813-049646200 1288216972_thumb.gif

*I must admit it looks quite attractive, though.

• RMweb Premium

Actually, didn't East Anglian branches dieselise straight from GER steam? So unless you can find an ancient Farish Buckjumper that actually runs you probably won't need to worry about running round.

Keep talking about N gauge 105s, though - I need a blue one!

If you must have a bay platform (mutter cliché mutter grumble*) you can do it without either an additional loop or a double slip on a running line. Reinstate the second crossover and run round in the up platform before shunting to the bay to await departure (or just depart from the up platform if it's a quick turnaround).

You could even squeeze in a loco shed (though I can't find room for a turntable :lol: )

I take it you're not a big fan of the bay platform Simon..........Yes it is cliche, but, it does look good I have to admit.I'm thinking I can do without the shed though. Just give me a few minutes to redo the AnyRail plan and we'll have another look.

Colin

post-6258-028760700 1288220036_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I take it you're not a big fan of the bay platform Simon..........Yes it is cliche, but, it does look good I have to admit.

It's just something that often seems to be included for no reason, which is not the case here. Looking at the Anyrail plan I think you might need a wee bit more space between the up main and the bay road for the platform though, but that's just a tweak.

Colin

I'm not sure what access to reference material you have but it might be worth having a look at some photographs of the area and seeing what features are typical. I tend to feel its easier to chop a real location about than invent a convincing one totally from scratch. One feature of the GER stations in my area was some intricate point work that would shout GER if replicated in model form.

My home station where I grew up on the ex GER had three trailing crossovers on the double track mainline and a single followed by double slip in the yard.

Off the top of my head, what about Wymondham as a basis? Its on the mainline so you can have heavy traffic including the new Dapol Britannias, the B1 and B17's. There's a yard and a branch which runs off into trees. I would however, set the whole thing on a curve. There are some fantastic GER station buildings in East Anglia, so perhaps more of a market town environment…

Just a few thoughts.

I'm afraid that I have very limited access to research material being here in the States but I have (I think) finalised my track plan.

I feel that with the right type of buildings and scenery I can fairly covincingly portray a rural station area in East Anglia which we all know is Gods' country!

Speaking of B1's, isn't it about time the Farish version hit the shelves, after all it's way over six weeks since the announcement.......

Colin

post-6258-079845900 1288391825_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Glad to see that you have gone back to the plan without the bay. I feel that the simplicity of the track on this plan will give a feeling of space. I'll look forward to seeing it built.

• RMweb Premium

I agree with Kris in preferring a simpler plan. In fact, I'd go further and trim the goods yard back to my original suggestion: you don't have to have every possible facility and the kick back siding is going to be a pain to shunt in N. OTOH, the GER seems to have gone in for weird arrangements, so maybe I'm wrong here. Where *is* Buckjumper these days?

I might also leave out the second crossover as it causes problems by pushing the starter signal back along the platform (or maybe this is another piece of desirable oddness!). You can still turn back DMUs in the Up platform. BTW, I removed the shelter from the down platform as it was hiding the loading bank but it really just needs moving along a bit.

One thing you will definitely need to do is increase the track spacing on the end curves to Setrack dimensions to allow clearance between passing trains, keeping the visible main lines at Streamline spacing of course.

post-6813-057176600 1288429358_thumb.gif

• RMweb Premium

I would keep the crossover but to avoid the starter signal issue I would push the platform further to the right. This would increase the stager on the platforms. As a note I would expect the station building to be closer to the road serving the station rather than in the middle of the platform.

I might also leave out the second crossover as it causes problems by pushing the starter signal back along the platform (or maybe this is another piece of desirable oddness!). You can still turn back DMUs in the Up platform. BTW, I removed the shelter from the down platform as it was hiding the loading bank but it really just needs moving along a bit.

One thing you will definitely need to do is increase the track spacing on the end curves to Setrack dimensions to allow clearance between passing trains, keeping the visible main lines at Streamline spacing of course.

post-6813-057176600 1288429358_thumb.gif

I think that I'll leave the second crossover as is (within the platform limits), this replicates the track work at the old Gorleston station.

As to the curves, I've managed to squeeze another 2 inches of width so can take each curve up from 10 inch radius to 11.25 on the inner and the outer up to 12.5inches although this is going to shorten the station somewhat.

I might redraw this to see how much difference it makes.

Colin

I would keep the crossover but to avoid the starter signal issue I would push the platform further to the right. This would increase the stager on the platforms. As a note I would expect the station building to be closer to the road serving the station rather than in the middle of the platform.

Duly noted Kris....not shown on the drawing is the station drop off point/carpark which will be just visible at the very front

Colin

I also wanted to watch trains go by, so my layout is a roundy round. However, my hidden sidings, 6 up and 6 down, are analog automated using what I call "ladder" logic and speed controlled. Basically as one train enters its siding, it activates the switches for the train in the next siding and also the speed control for that train (goods slow, express passenger trains fast). My "total" operating time is about 10 minutes and there are literally days when I do just sit and watch trains go by. The current plan, assuming we do not relocate, is to increase the number of trains in each direction to 9. I suggest that on one of the plans where a number of hidden sidings are shown, you could use this approach.

However, my hidden sidings, 6 up and 6 down, are analog automated using what I call "ladder" logic and speed controlled. Basically as one train enters its siding, it activates the switches for the train in the next siding and also the speed control for that train (goods slow, express passenger trains fast).

I'd like to learn more about how you achieve this as many others would too.

Care to elaborate?

Colin

Final track plan is now in place including critical measurements.

Many thanks to all who offered ideas, suggestions and generally critiqued the plan.

The lumber has been cut for the baseboard frame and construction should start this weekend.

Just as a note, I am using a slightly different baseboard construction method on this layout.

Basically 1/4" ply with 3/4" pink foam insulation board glued on top.

Colin

post-6258-090255400 1288903306_thumb.jpg

Re my automated fiddle yard, i will try and get off my posterior and put pen to paper (gives my age away). I have also just joined the 20th century and found out my camera will make a short video so over the next couple of weeks i will try to make a video showing the system in action.

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to learn more about how you achieve this as many others would too.

Care to elaborate?

Colin

I have put together a powerpoint file that shows basic schematics and a simple descriptor. Lets see what happens when I try to send it as an attachment. This will eventually be printed in the BRMNA Mag. Wonder if it would be appropriate to start a new thread somewhere

Automated Fiddle Yard 2010 R1.ppt

• RMweb Premium

Interesting file Jim, thanks for posting it. I've got to say that it looks complex.

I think that a separate thread elsewhere would bring this to the attention of far more people who would be interested to see it. If you do decide to do this, then maybe copy and paste the information into the thread rather than having it as a download.

Interesting file Jim, thanks for posting it. I've got to say that it looks complex.

I think that a separate thread elsewhere would bring this to the attention of far more people who would be interested to see it. If you do decide to do this, then maybe copy and paste the information into the thread rather than having it as a download.

It is more logic than complicated but if one is a typical male using circular logic it is easy to miss out steps. The results can be quiet interesting and or frustrating. Over the next little while will have a go at putting it into a post. Will be a bit longish though. Will also try to make a short video.

Archived