DCC chip twitching

gmax

Hiya,

I did a search for this question but couldn't see anyone bringing it up before.

I'm running a DCC layout with a Dynamis handset and buy all my locos ready chipped, (my eyesight isn't up to intricate jobs).

Some locos are new, some used, but I often don't know what make of DCC chip is installed, though I'm sure the majority will be Hornby or Bachman.

What I have found in about 5 of my 50 locos is that they 'twitch' when standing on the layout, even when not selected.

By this, I mean that they jump about half an inch quickly then stop.

It's always the same locos that do it, and the other 45 are perfectly OK.

The Bachman WD, Jubilee, Manor, Class 37 (D6707) & Warship diesel are the worst culprits. I don't think any Hornby or Heljan locos do the same.

Are the DCC chips faulty do you think or have I got a setting wrong?

Many thanks in advance for any ideas.

Regards

Steve

Hiya,

I did a search for this question but couldn't see anyone bringing it up before.

I'm running a DCC layout with a Dynamis handset and buy all my locos ready chipped, (my eyesight isn't up to intricate jobs).

Some locos are new, some used, but I often don't know what make of DCC chip is installed, though I'm sure the majority will be Hornby or Bachman.

What I have found in about 5 of my 50 locos is that they 'twitch' when standing on the layout, even when not selected.

By this, I mean that they jump about half an inch quickly then stop.

It's always the same locos that do it, and the other 45 are perfectly OK.

The Bachman WD, Jubilee, Manor, Class 37 (D6707) & Warship diesel are the worst culprits. I don't think any Hornby or Heljan locos do the same.

Are the DCC chips faulty do you think or have I got a setting wrong?

Many thanks in advance for any ideas.

Regards

Steve

All together? One at a time? Random? What other actions are you doing at the time?

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

It usually occurs at the point of switching on the Dynamis handset and, yes, all 5 of the locos move at the same time.

Regards

Steve

I suspect these may be chips that have DC enabled, and maybe when your Dynamis is switched on they are getting pure DC for a moment before the command station settles down. Try reprogramming them with DCC-only values in CV29.

I suspect these may be chips that have DC enabled, and maybe when your Dynamis is switched on they are getting pure DC for a moment before the command station settles down. Try reprogramming them with DCC-only values in CV29.

I concur. The alternative is a DPST switch in the DCC feed. Switch on the Dynamis and then switch on the switch. ZTC seemed to require this regardless.

Decoders can behave quite strangely if DC running is enabled.

Archived