Calais..

sunshine coast

Thanks once again Highpeak ...

this is the first photo with tanker behind 44tonner tanker Calais

and this one tank Calais yard shows I think ?,the yard storage tank just behind the 44T...

this is all starting to flesh out the layout nicely...

Re passenger facility...... in this photo..Calais general view although it is poor quality,if you look carefully to the right of the E7 dead centre ...is that an apex canopy for a small passenger depot ..in front of the building with the dormer roof ???

This is really good fun doing the research and gradually adding to the overall picture ...

Regards Trevor ... :D

Re...MOW equipment ....

I do have a few old Triang snowploughs to renovate and repaint,that should give a reasonable representation of the MEC ones that seemed to be permanently around on the waterfront sidings ...

plus again in the various prototype photo collections there is plenty of material to give a pile of MOW equipment projects ....

Well what have I unleashed... :) I think this is me busy for a good few weeks !!!!! :O :o

Regards Trevor ...... :D

Isn't there a story, possibly apochryphal, about the seagull manager of a railway company, who wanted all the rusty old bits of metal removed from turnouts and sold for scrap - as the were rusty they obviously didn't serve any function! and now that you point it out, there aren't any in any of the photos!

That passenger shelter was well spotted! That picture is in MEC in Color vol 3 but it's rather small. Under good illumination though and with my strongest reading glasses, you can just make out the shelter.

The caption in the book notes that the E7 is #705. The boxcar you can see next to the freight house is a B&M XM-1, you can see the flat end of the car. Funaro and Camerlengo does a decent resin kit for those cars. The two boxcars at the platform are waiting for pulpwood to be loaded. The picture was taken on August 2, 1957.

The station building is a lot larger than you'd expect because it was built as the head offices of the Washington County RR which was independent until 1911.

This is a lot of fun, and it's amazing how much is coming to light, and how much is revealed from slightly different angles. For instance, none of the pictures in my books show that fuel storage tank because it's either hidden behind an engine or the photo is from the wrong angle.

The station building is a lot larger than you'd expect because it was built as the head offices of the Washington County RR which was independent until 1911.

on page 1 towards the bottom there is a link "calais waterfront"....I have just redone it to make it easier ..follow the instructions and you can see the front of the building as it is now ...

Regards Trevor .. :D

I do have a few old Triang snowploughs to renovate and repaint,that should give a reasonable representation of the MEC ones that seemed to be permanently around on the waterfront sidings ...

I believe that the Triang Snowplow is (bizarrely) a pretty good model HO of a Russell plow. A Canadian modeller called Bob Boudreau wrote an article in a 1970's issue of RMC.

Nick

The pulpwood rack being loaded in that shot of the 957 is one of the converted gondolas. Ertl made a very good RTR model of that car, and Funaro did a resin kit, but both are out of production. You might be able to find one on EBay and hack it around, though in truth it wouldn't be that difficult a scratch build.

Next time I hook up the scanner I'll scan in some pictures I took of those cars.

The low-sided gons had quite a useful career, a fair number made it into MOW service and a lot of them became pulpwood cars. Pulpwood cars are a bit of a problem. Atlas has a good model of the type that MEC bought from the D&H, and there used to be a wooden kit for the big Paul Bunyan cars, but otherwise there isn't a lot going. Tichy makes a nice kit for one that, while it's not really a model of anything MEC had, is a lot closer than some RTR stuff. And the kit is a joy to build. I added a "wood" deck and thought it made a reasonable stand-in model.

Thanks again Highpeak .....the Gon conversions look very interesting ...

I have decided that my approach to the stock for this project,will be to use the RTR items I have to start with,but weathered to a uniform degree (as well as the layout) , and then as time and info allows ,gradually do more prototypically correct items by improving rtr or kitbashing etc . This I feel will allow me to get on with the whole project and then go back over again and again, improving (hopefully !)the quality and fidelity of all the stock,locos and buildings etc ....

Next up will be the start of building this project over the next week or two ... I have many boards and bits from former layouts and I shall not bore you with photos of a blow by blow account of woodchips sawdust and swearing :rolleyes: as it all goes together....but first I have to help with some real points and track laying over the next couple of days ...all be it only 2' gauge :O

I believe that the Triang Snowplow is (bizarrely) a pretty good model HO of a Russell plow. A Canadian modeller called Bob Boudreau wrote an article in a 1970's issue of RMC.

Nick

I'm fairly sure that this is the same Bob Boudreau, posting as <railphotog> on http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4994&whichpage=59 the photo of the little grey tree-rat! - an email might get you some more info

I'm fairly sure that this is the same Bob Boudreau

Atlantic Canada? - Could be!

By coincidence, I found a back issue of Model Railroading at the NMRA Convention today that reprises the Snowplow article using a Walthers model as a basis. The CN and CP plows are shorter than the MEC ones and both Triang and Walthers models need shortening, not the case for a MEC one.

Nick

It does seem to me the Triang plow is very close to the MEC ones ....I have three,but only 2 "wings" both of the same hand !! so a bit of scratch building will be needed there ,but not too taxing.... some new bogies ,separate handrails and stirrups and ... bells ....never noticed them before on ploughs ??? should be an interesting project ...

I have found 2 more views of Calais in an old folder on an older computer of mine,from about 4 years ago ....unfortunately there is no source for these,I have search many many photo sites etc ...but with no success ...if the owner of these photos, objects to them being shown I will of course remove them or if they provide a link I will attribute the source. I would not normally publish unlinked photos but these 2 do give views I have not seen anywhere else so are important to the topic.

5135685730_ce355fc62c.jpg

5135086589_8d10666622.jpg

Regards Trevor .... :D

PS ...still no check rails !!!

The crossings are self-guarding. It's not very obvious on most of these photos. There is a photo in MEC in Color vol 3 (the one with the company tank car behind the 44 tonner) that just captures one of the crossings in the foreground and you can see the cast guard rails. You can also make one out in the photo that Shortliner enhanced, right down in the foreground you can just see the wings on the crossing.

I tried cropping and enlarging from a couple of photos that had a reasonable view of a crossing. The crossings aren't that big, you could easily miss the slight extra chunkiness where the cast guards are. The most obvious thing is the lack of any kind of guard rails.

post-277-096209300 1288633744_thumb.jpg

post-277-024473200 1288633799_thumb.jpg

I'd be inclined to paint the guard rails as close in colour to the ballast as you can get, and then ignore them - removing them, when self guarding frogs don't exist in the Peco range, is going to cause you the most awful running problems and de-railments. I doubt that anyone will comment on them . I'm thinking of the problem of US wheels with Hornby Setrack type turnouts where the guard-rail gap is too large, and unless you shim the guard-rails the wheels don't "pull across" enough to get the wheels through the frog, on the diverging track

I thought I had a picture of the other end of a plow somewhere. This shows the coupler arrangement, you'll see that it can be retracted and covered by hinged plates when the plow is being used for its intended purpose. The brake line would need to be removed before stowing the coupler. I have no idea how the pipe was routed on the roof of the car, but the other picture of the back of the cars shows it coming down from the roof, presumably it just did some kind of detour around the cupola.

The coupler is a little odd, I am not sure if Kadee or anyone does a coupler that has the downward jog in it.

post-277-069348800 1288659174_thumb.jpg

Archived