Heljan Kestrel Photo Review

Trains4U

I'm afraid my pics aren't up to my usual standard - I've borrowed Elizabeth's changing mat as a background... :)

post-40-12551142318651_thumb.jpg

I'm fortunte enough to have acquired one of these for myself, and I haven't done a photo guide for a while.

I haven't as yet had a chance to run the model, but if it is anything like th 47s and 58s I already own, it should run beautifully.

post-40-12551142803181_thumb.jpg

Opening the box, the loco is well wrapped. There is a full pack of bufferbeam detail as well as a spare bufferbeam.

A hand-numbered certificate (I can't tell whether mine is 1412 or 1452!)

there is also an exploded diagram with a brief overview of Kestrel's history and operating instructions.

One thing missing though - No couplings. It would appear that Heljan neglected to include them in the boxes. Instead we were supplied with a bulk pack. If ordering a loco please check with your supplier that they have included some couplings.

post-40-12551143040973_thumb.jpg

The model is pretty impressive and imposing. It captures the shrek-like look well. The model represents Kestrel after it was fitted with clss 47 bogies, therefore there is a lot of parts commonality with the Heljan 47.

I would imagine that the tooling costs of producing the original bogies with the unequal wheelbase would have been uneconomical.

post-40-12551143266774_thumb.jpg

Colours and printing look good

post-40-12551143863487_thumb.jpg

The headcodes are already fitted, unlike with previous Heljan models, it is not possible to change the headcodes on this model and no alternatives are provided.

post-40-12551144184733_thumb.jpg

post-40-12551144766287_thumb.jpg

Sorry about the odd angle - Roof fans are solid moulds as on the 47. Heljan have not left openings as with falcon.

post-40-12551144417537_thumb.jpg

Like it's class 47 cousin, Kestrel is a PITA to get into. It opens up exactly like the 47, with four lugs which require a small sheet of plasticard (Credit cards do fine) on each lug, then a gentle tug of the chassis at one end.

Lighting is by LED, as per Falcon and the class 17s and 58s

post-40-12551145879616_thumb.jpg

There is a lot of commonality with the class 47 chassis. The bogies, bogie mounts, motor and circuit board are the same.

There is an 8-pin socket for DCC control

The loco has the latest nickel wheels (As on the 58 and 17), rather than the brass efforts used on previous models. Dirty wheels should not be a problem.

As yet I haven't had a chance to run it, but weight, colour and quality of finish look really good, as I would expect fom Heljan.

Its a lot of loco for ??110, and given recent price rises from Hornby, suddenly doesen't look (Comparatively) so expensive.

I'll give a running report when I get chance - unless I'm beaten to it!

i have picked up mine today, now running a rake of blue and silver coaches behind it and runs like a dream, realistic slow and fast running beautiful detailing too, another good job from Heljan again

the ONLY things that lets it down... and they are minor really, was the lack of couplings in the box and the lack of a driver (but then again i haven't got a driver with any Heljan)

Archived