Feeling cold

Chris_C

I have a plan for a very simple layoiut, set in winter.

However, I'm not after feet of snow, just a very light dusting. Having had a look around, "microballoons" and spray on snow look to be the most effective things I can find to represent a light dusting? But how about recreating ice and frost? I'm sure I've seen an article somewhere using clear caulk, but can't find it. There also used to be an American company that made realistic looking snow products, under the name of Vintage reproductions. However, they don't seem t be around any more. Can anyone shed any light on this?

I'm also going to want to be creating some bare trees, again, I'm struggling to find any information on how to realistically do this.

That brings me on to figures. I adore the Montys models (dart castings) range of figures, they're amazingly well detailed, but I'm not sure the little bloke will appreciate standing outside in the snow, in a t-shirt. So is there anywhere can I get some similarly well detailed winterised people from? Or can I alter the monty's model ones somehow?

I'm thinking that a brazier might be a good idea, and this makes me think smoke and lights! I'm sure there's a realistic looking version around, but can't remember who makes it! Also, for smoke, is there a 4mm seuthe unit available with a fan?

Leaf litter (forest floor?) - Available from treemendous. Has anyone got any experience of using this, as I'd quite like to see if I can use it around the trees and bushes on the layout, representing the deadfall from autumn that would still be around.

I'm pretty sure that's all I can think of for now, but there may be more!

If any of you can help (which I'm sure you can) then it would really be appreciated!!

Chris<BR clear=all>

Recent snow thread, may be of help:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/22690-snow-effect-on-layouts/page__p__226796__hl__snow__fromsearch__1?do=findComment&comment=226796

Bare trees? Not sure, but I guess you could make some 'normal' trees via the various methods and then just stop before putting the leaves on :D

The Treemendous stuff looks good in the bag (I've not used it yet), but here's some useful reference shots:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/23398-scenic-work-in-progress/

Note individual leaves in 3rd, 4th and 9th shots.

Hi Chris

I'll be only too happy to show a step by step on how to make trees like these. The methods are the same for most scales. Trees are often presented too small on many layouts and trees for 4mm layouts can be convincing at 10" - 12". The fact is trees come in all sizes

post-9960-003676900 1287652499_thumb.jpg

post-9960-093030200 1287652610_thumb.jpg

post-9960-039430900 1287653991_thumb.jpg

This is a close up of Forest Floor. It also contains individual leaves as Dave points out. If you are modelling in 4mm they are a bit oversize for you but can easily be broken up or removed.

post-9960-094986100 1287653586_thumb.jpg

Hope some of this helps

Ant

I'll be only too happy to show a step by step on how to make trees like these. The methods are the same for most scales.

Yes please, my layout is set in winter, although I wasn't planning on having frost or snow, just one of those miserable wet days. I was just starting to think about creating some bare Silver Birch and Ash trees.

So any step by step guides would be most appreciated.

Richard

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll have a look at that thread, and the glowing brazier.

Ant, the forest floor looks good! I'm sure I could break up the leaves a bit for a more scale appearance. (Yes, I am modelling in 4mm) thank you, also, for posting the tree kit tutorial...don't suppose you've got one about convincing snow scenes? =)

Cheers

Chris

Archived