Modelmaster transfers

38c

I have some modelmaster transfers for 4mm waggons. They are a white printed on a very light blue background.I cant see to cut around them. Am I missing something or do other modellers have the same problem.

Regards Dave

• RMweb Premium

I have some modelmaster transfers for 4mm waggons. They are a white printed on a very light blue background.I cant see to cut around them. Am I missing something or do other modellers have the same problem.

'Fraid so, Dave.

Pretty much all waterslide transfer paper worldwide is made by Tullis Russell. They use the pale blue backing paper and don't seem to be interested in using a darker colour.

I've seen the suggestion of using a dark coloured water-based felt marker on the rear of the sheet to increase the contrast. Not having tried it, I can't say if it works or if there is any danger of compromising the transfer.

Regards,

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers,

http://www.cctrans.freeserve.co.uk/

Have tried using a black marker pen, on the backof the transfer paper, you need the type that will soak in to the backing paper, works well, the only down side i have found is it takes longer to soak the transfer off the backing.

As always try on a spare bit first to check things work before going for the transfers you really want

steve

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Last night I used the magnifying glass with the in-built LED light that was part of a unit offered by Lidl recently - had a soldering iron stand, crocodile clip part holders etc. Think the whole unit was £3.99 or so.

With the main magnifing part could just about make out the whole number, whilst the "spot" with greater magnification made reading the number, albeit by moving the sheet from side to side, straightforward. Therefore dissapointing that the numbers required for a certain vehicle were not on that sheet!

Still a possible problem when it comes to cutting them out.

Perhaps Modelmaster could provide a version of the sheet on its website where you could see the numbers? Think Fox displayed theirs on their exhibition stand in this sort of way - whole sheet transferred(?) onto coloured card. In a similar vein anyone noted/listed which vehicles specific sheets cover?

Cheers,

26power

I've had some sucess. Lightly dampen the rear of the sheet with white sprit(wih a paint brush ).This has the effect of turning it cambridge blue untill it drys out. Tried meths but it didnt work. Tried water and it it loosened every transfer on the sheet.

Regards Dave

Hi dave,

I'd be careful about wetting the back of Modelmaster decal sheets with white spirit as it is a solvent for the carrier film over the top of the transfer. When white spirit comes into contact with the carrier film it could well turn it to a gel-like consistency. This is a very useful thing when the transfer is on the model (i.e you can remove the carrier film) but you don't want a gooey mess beforehand!

Regards,

Colin Parks

Further to my previous message, I now see that Modelmaster has images of some sets, although some are pretty hard to read still.  

If they were all like this one it would be great:

http://www.modelmasterdecals.com/Larger_Image.php?ref=4625

Their website has been promising "new and revised decal sheets" for a while now.  Will be interessting to see what that brings.

Cheers,

26power

Archived