Uncoupling

shortliner

aaahh, Shortliner, I see you have issues with termites too?

I have a small quantity of the old Gem point levers.....probably not as well 'engineered' as the Caboose throws, but work on a similar principle.

next thing, you'll all be making up little switch indicators..or whatever they were called......poles with neat shapes on top, to indicate which direction the turnout is thrown?

Years ago, I started to use those little nylon tee-shaped things one found attaching labels to new tee shirts, etc....ended up with stiff wire and little diamonds soldered to the top.

With a suitable base to pivot on, and a crank attached to the turnout throw wire, they would rotate as the switch is thrown...I had better eyesight then as well!

The diamonds I made out of very thin brass, cut diamond-shaped, then folded at right angles, two soldered back-to back onto a stiff wire....I also has asbestos fingers back then too.

Very effective at keeping unwanted fingers away from important but delicate pointwork...once stabbed, twice shy?

when I did my indicators...I had to consider they were going on to an NMRA module...so had to be a lot more robust than those that were commercially available....as it happened, robust also meant 'free''......

It has always amazed me how Peco could have 'got it wrong' to the extent, sleepers had to be chopped.....maybe I've become a fuss-RS?

I been trying to put in the caboose hobby switch stands, but I have run into a little problem. it seems the movement of the bar is more than the movement of the switch so when installed it does not lock down each side.

The Greek letter omega is like a little horsehoe, with a little serif on each end.

The suggestion it to put a hole in the throwbar and the rod of the switch stand, then connect them with a curved spring to take up the slack.

I been trying to put in the caboose hobby switch stands, but I have run into a little problem. it seems the movement of the bar is more than the movement of the switch so when installed it does not lock down each side.

Dear Alco,

This is why I use and reccomend the 216s (the "S" stands for "Sprung").

Any Caboose Industry "S" series groundthrow has over-travel springs which take up the excess travel within the throw mech.

However, if you're looking for a homegrown solution, the "omega loop" spring should work

mlnk1.jpg

HINT! The thing at top right is the "Omega Loop", and it should be located between the groundthrow and the turnout throwbar...

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

Glad you said that, because I've always found that the C.I. throws for the scale below worked best with the scale I'm in...

I used N-scale throws in HO, now I use HO throws in O scale... :blink: :rolleyes:

Dear F-Unit,

My O scale SG "Chicago Fork" used C.I. "N scale" 216S throw on a handlaid O scale SG turnout,

the 216S's are my "go to" solution... ;)

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

Dear Alco,

This is why I use and reccomend the 216s (the "S" stands for "Sprung").

Any Caboose Industry "S" series groundthrow has over-travel springs which take up the excess travel within the throw mech.

However, if you're looking for a homegrown solution, the "omega loop" spring should work

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

thanks Prof.

When I ordered I did not know what the difference was, this is the first time I have used them, will order some of the 216s, will look at the N scale versions.

Archived