L & J Models, Gainsborough

I came across their name on the SeMG website as a producer of a resin bodied kit for the BR (S) electric loco 20003.

UK Model Shop Directory and supplier.txt have a PO Box address but no other contact details.

Do they still exist? Are/were they any good?

• RMweb Gold

Rod,

Looking at Google Earth tells me it is a private house on one of the Estates in Gainsborough so it looks like it is run from there. Never heard of them myself but there was a Model shop in Gainsborough many many moons ago and they have one in Lincoln. That was B & H models so as far as I can tell not connected.

Going back to my days of 'working' Gainsborough I can say it was not the best estate BUT that is in a better part of it and there were good and bad lived there as everywhere.

Realise not much help but the best I can do for you unless I have a run across there and knock on the door.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

I came across their name on the SeMG website as a producer of a resin bodied kit for the BR (S) electric loco 20003.

UK Model Shop Directory and supplier.txt have a PO Box address but no other contact details.

Do they still exist? Are/were they any good?

I bought a '00' scale resin body of a DP2 from them about 15 years ago when they produced quite a large range of cast diesel bodies. Unfortunately, they ceased trading a few years ago now and I threw their catalogue out on the strength of it. It is of course possible that they have started up again but I doubt it. I do remember that they were in Gainsborough though and the chap I spoke to there at the time was very helpful. To answer your other question, yes, they were quite good provided you had a reasonable amount of modelling competence to finish the job off nicely. I haven't seen any for sale anywhere but then I haven't really looked.

• 1 year later...

I notice that 'lennyapplegreen' on e-bay is selling etched parts and resin kits for the Class 84 plus others.

Worsley Works has an etched kit for a OO Class 70 - 20003 for £50. You have to provide the motor, wheels and bend and solder the brass sheets.

I too would like a model of 20003.

HTH

Peter

Worsley Works has an etched kit for a OO Class 70 - 20003 for £50. You have to provide the motor, wheels and bend and solder the brass sheets.

I can't say I'm encouraged by this being illustrated by a 2mm model.

I bought their 18000 gas turbine and was quite happy with it. It required alot of additional detail but, dimension wise, was spot on. One advantage over the Silver Fox was the use of a separate removeable cast chassis, designed to take an rtr power unit. I appreciate that central mounted motor is now the thing, but at the time they were issued Lima/Hornby drives were the norm. I had considered replacing it with a Silver Fox, just to get the Bachmann drive but noticed that the Silver Fox bogie is too long and appears to have been 'stretched' to fit the rtr drive. With the chassis being non removeable, I have stuck with the L&J.

I also bought the 18100 but must admit, something did not quite gel with it. I never worked out why I was not happy with it. This one I did replace with a Silver Fox version which appears to have the 'look', and the Bachmann drive to suit. Luckily I have not had to remove the chassis yet.

Not quite sure what they are both doing in 1930's West Country but hey, it's my train set!

Regards

Mike Wiltshire

Archived