Small relics from a bygone age at Bristol TM

Have you also noticed the old direction signs at the top of the stairs on platforms 13&14? Wooden boards with individual metal letters screwed on. These platforms were out of public use for many years and when they were re-commisioned a few (5?) years ago, the "image gurus" must have either missed them or decided they added a touch of character.

Cheers,

Nev.

Back in the 1980s I had a 'press trip' on the down Great Western TPO from Paddington-Bristol. I went for the Class 50 haulage (it was ALWAYS a Class 50)but we had 47500 that night. It was fascinating to arrive at BTM in the early hours of the morning, to a completely deserted station. Four TPOs ariived within minutes of each other and postmen with trollies appeared from every subway and scurried about like ants, switching mail between trains and loading up empty vans. It lasted maybe, ten or fifteen minutes, then they all subsided back down the subways, the trains departed and the place was empty except for a handful of journalists heading off to a hotel.

Magic! The railway (and the Royal Mail) when it still did the things the railway ought to do.

CHRIS LEIGH

Thanks for those memories, Chris. I had never realised the logistics behind the TPO, (don't suppose they used that word in the '80's!) and your description of the ant-like activity was new to me. Getting 4 TPOs and all those workers to coincide.... quite a feat of organisation and time-tabling.

There were some similar signs for postal traffic at the south end of Derby station (Platform 1) last time I passed through there, don't know if they still exist.

Worcester Foregate Street still has one WR choc & cream sign, though the other survivors into recent times seem to have vanished during the recent tidy-up and building of the adjacent Tesco Metro.

David

There were some similar signs for postal traffic at the south end of Derby station (Platform 1) last time I passed through there, don't know if they still exist.

Afraid not. Everythings been swept away with the refurbishment of the platform canopies :(

Nev.

Archived