Standard Class Passengers may use this coach...

I am wondering if anyone would have, or can point me to, a picture of those notices that you'd find stuck in coach windows when 1st class stock formed the whole train ?

A few ebay purchases with big chunks of time in between and not enough attention means i've ended up with a nice rake of 6 or 7 airfix MK.2D FOs :) I remember several cases where workings were formed of all 1st class stock in the '80s & early '90s so thought i'd go this route as a solution...

thanks !

-dylan

Sorry I can't answer your question, but I do remember that Midland Main Line ran a set on a daily Derby-London return, formed of aircon FOs which had been refurbished as standard class. No doubt somebody will have a date but I have a feeling it was early 90s - certainly after all the other loco hauled workings had gone.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dylan,

if it's the early eighties then you were still "Second Class" rather than "Standard" ! Here's one for the earlier period which in real life measures 153 x 122mm

In days of yore, senior people in the office tended to have an Executive Loo. In Essex House, the Central DMO on Southern Region at Croydon, the posh loo was on floor 7, where most of the officers had their accommodation. On Floor 8, someone had posted exactly that sign on the "other ranks" gents' loo door!

Hi Dylan,

if it's the early eighties then you were still "Second Class" rather than "Standard" ! Here's one for the earlier period which in real life measures 153 x 122mm

I remember those! I once got into a Mk1 First at Edinburgh Waverley with one of those stickers - turns out there was a minor problem with the toilet. What was funny about it was that there was a brake at the front of the Seconds and the platform was largely blocked by BRUTE trolleys with the result that I was the only one to find that carriage and so had it all to myself - entertained myself composing imaginary letters of complaint about specks of dirt on the windows etc. B)

<br />A friend of mine used to carry a stock of these....<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Oh yeah ? <chuckle> I imagine that could have come in handy - or caused some interesting conversations on the train...

Thanks for the posts everyone, most helpful :)

• RMweb Premium

Back in the early 70's I travelled regularly on the Liverpool St to Great Yarmouth route and normally found a compartment with these stickers in. They always found there way into my bag and were reused on other trips for quite a long time. Comfortable days, even Second Class was better then the hardboard seats we have to put up with now in a lot of trains!

Chris

When I moved to North Wales in 1965 I commuted home to Oldham Friday teatime from June to October until the house was sold. On one occasion I spotted a 1930's Stanier Open First as the train ground to a halt at Abergele (usual Black Five haulage!). The carriage carried small 'Downgraded to Second Class' stickerson the windows but even so no one ventured to sit down. Apart from another bloke I had this luxurious carriage to myself......thickly padded blue seats and varnished empire veneers. Obvously it was destined for the scap yard come the end of the summer timetable. Such a shame.

Larry G.

• RMweb Gold

Ah...you must be talking of Britain, the post war classless society (moved up from 3rd to 2nd).

How much money would we, the (majority taxpayer) save by abolishing First Class on all railway travel?

I wonder

When are they ever used? and Why?

Stockie

Not quite sure where this is intended to lead. First class typically costs 50% more than the Standard Fare. In my commuting days in SE England, the 1st class was full of season-ticket holders - all of whom were prepared to stump up 50% extra. I'm not sure how abolition would help that situation, since, particularly these days, the accommodation is hardly any larger per customer than in Standard class, so the TOC is making more money from each occupied seat. Indeed, when the Class 375s were introduced on South Eastern, they had no 1st class, and new antimacassors, labels etc had to be swiftly rustled up to enable these season-ticket holders to get their money's worth. On the former InterCity routes, in my experience, 1st class is full of business folk, often travelling in groups and using the train as a meeting room on wheels. Since they will not have taken advantage of early-booking cheap offers, they are, again, truly swelling the TOC coffers by doing so. I would suggest that classlessness is attained by enabling those at the bottom of the heap to live well and buy what they want, rather than depriving those with wealth from using it.

In the final days of Waterloo-Exeter loco hauled workings, there seemd to be many first class coaches with these labels. The very few air conditioned Mk2D firsts were not declassified, but most of the remaining Mk2B/C coaches seemed to have been declassified with these stickers. There were usually very few passengers in them on the trains I travelled in.

Archived