NCC Powercab and accessory decoders

Danemouth

I am about to get a NCE Powercab starter set for my new layout Danemouth. This is my first time with DCC and I want to get it right at the beginning - don't we all :rolleyes:

There will be 10 Seep point motors to operate, so I am in the process of deciding which accessory decoder to use. I've search the forum and ended up slightly bemused so I though I would ask the question directly - I've been recommended to use the Team Digital SMD82. Does anybody have any experience with is decoder please - what do you think of it?

Does anybody suggest an alternative that reliably works with the Powercab and Seeps?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Dave,

I use Powercab but not Seep point motors. However, I believe Seeps are solenoid operated which is the same type as the Hornby point motors I use. Because I decided on Hornby originally, I use the Hornby R8247 Point and Accessory Decoders and can confirm that Powercab operates them perfectly. Hornby's decoder controls four points from each unit - I believe other makes may control more so one consideration may be how many units you need to control all your points. In case it is of interest, if you have two points you always want to control in unison, you can wire them to one port of the decoder.

I hope this helps,

Harold.

I use the powercab/Procab to operate a few Lenz LS 150 units that in turn operate SEEP motors.

The Lenz units take only the command information from the Powercab and the LS150 units have their own power supply a lenz TR150 unit and have never had a problem at all. The Lenz LS150 units have six outputs so for 10 pints you will only need two

• RMweb Gold

Another vote for MERG accessory decoder boards from me :D If you don't fancy building your own then make sure that any proprietary unit has a CDU (Capacitive Discharge Unit) built in, you can get away without one as some have said earlier, but why take the risk. The Team Digital unit is very good, if a bit pricey ;)

• RMweb Premium

If you use LS150s you have to use a big power supply as these don't include a CDU.

I use the MERG decoders. About £12 for four pairs of outputs each of which will happily throw two Seeps in parallel.

The LS150 recommended supply is 3A max. That is fine for Seeps

MERG OK if you are a kitbuilder!

Another alternative is LDT - kit or ready made.

Keith

The LS150 recommended supply is 3A max. That is fine for Seeps

MERG OK if you are a kitbuilder!

Another alternative is LDT - kit or ready made.

Keith

Keith,

Thanks for the info, will have a look at LDT.

I liked the LS150 decoders but needing two of them with power supplies put me the wrong side of 160 notes - therefore forget it!

As well as the kits mentioned I am also looking at the Digitrax DS64 - needs a 12 V DC supply though.

At this rate I will end up with conventional point control,

Thanks,

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Keith,

Thanks for the info, will have a look at LDT.

I liked the LS150 decoders but needing two of them with power supplies put me the wrong side of 160 notes - therefore forget it!

As well as the kits mentioned I am also looking at the Digitrax DS64 - needs a 12 V DC supply though.

At this rate I will end up with conventional point control,

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Dave

The LS150 is around £40 each so I wouldn't expect to pay another £80 for transformers (Lenz own ready cased are too expensive for me!)

SEE:

RAPIDonline part 88-3948 (2x 15v outputs) would do the job if you feel like doing it yourself.

Buy a case from i.e Maplin and some suitable connectors and save yourself a wad!

I've actually used some toroidal transformers (not Rapid) for my supplies - bit of a luxury as they are more expensive!

Keith

• RMweb Gold

I use Lenz LS110 accessory decoders to run a mixture of Peco and Seep point motors with the Powercab.

I use a seperate power supply that was rescued from a Kodak photo printer! The beauty of recycling :rolleyes:

Not yet had a problem, though finding the LS110s is becoming more difficult.

Archived