Belgian roller-roof ferry vans

Jim Martin

Does anyone know of any top-down photos of these Belgian-registered ferry vans? I'm trying to find out what the roller roofs looked like. The only photos that I have are in British Railfreight Today and Tomorrow by Geoffrey Freeman Allen (pages 102 and 123). These are in black-and-white, so there's no real way of telling what colour they are (although they appear the same in tone as the body, which would be a red oxide shade), and both are from too far away to give any idea of the detailed appearance of the roof.

What I'm trying to establish is whether the roof was essentially a canvas-type hood (similar to a window blind, I suppose) or more like a slatted roller (similar to those on shop fronts). I know of an online copy of an SNCB booklet which contains photos of a much older wagon fitted with a slatted roller roof (can't find the link just now, though), but my impression is that the more modern roofs are smooth.

Thanks

Jim

Hmm, I've always believed they were slatted 'roller shutter' style, but let me investigate...

J

Pretty certain they were slatted rollers, similar to those fitted to 'Shocroof' wagons by BR. There were similar four-wheel vehicles built for SNCF which lasted until a few years ago, as well as bogie ones. The roof was described as 'Systeme CIMT-Forest' on the French wagons- the few photos I have seen suggest that roof may well have been painted red-oxide over galvanised steel, but the paint didn't last long.

In the early 80's BR Railfreight did a series of sheets that provided basic wagon details to the salesmen visiting would-be customers, the sheet that covers these wagons describes them as roller shutter roof vans, so I think thats what they were, but I have no photographic proof to back that up.

There were/are several retractable roof systems, have a look at http://www.tassignon.be/trains/marchand/marchand.htm

about 1/3rd of the way down

Renaud Ducau seems to have been large-ish panels that retracted

SEAG had a sliding half roof

Mac Gregor seems to have a roll-up system, but its not obvious if its canvas or roller shutter

Certainly BR tried out both of the first two, but nothing much came of it.

Jon

Lots of interesting stuff to go at here. Many thanks to everyone for replying.

There were/are several retractable roof systems, have a look at http://www.tassignon.be/trains/marchand/marchand.htm

about 1/3rd of the way down

That was the SNCB booklet that I mentioned in my original post. I did try searching for it before posting, but without success.

Tosh's Continental Wagons has a few pics, though not down-on http://continentalwa.../p47352124.html

That's an interesting site that I'd never seen before. Thanks for the link.

Jim

Lots of interesting stuff to go at here. Many thanks to everyone for replying.

That was the SNCB booklet that I mentioned in my original post. I did try searching for it before posting, but without success.

That's an interesting site that I'd never seen before. Thanks for the link.

Jim

That link to the SNCB/NMBS site is a wonderful bit of history- some of that stock is positively antedeluvian. Thanks for posting it.

Hi All

Found a photo of one of these in vol 3 of Dave Larkins Working Wagons on P85, anyone know if there is an N guage model of this tyoe of van?

Ian

Ian

Not that I'm aware, but I was thinking of building one. The wheelbase and fishbelly underframe both match the VGA van which is produced by Farish.

Jim

Archived