East Anglian Cravens Unit

Pannier Tank

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Having recently aquired a Negative Scanner I've started to look at some of my late fathers photograpgh collection. On the 4th March 1967 we went on a M&GNJRS Railtour and my father took the attached photograpgh of a Cravens Unit. Can anyone please identify the location?

post-6753-074018800 1288535221_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Having recently aquired a Negative Scanner I've started to look at some of my late fathers photograpgh collection. On the 4th March 1967 we went on a M&GNJRS Railtour and my father took the attached photograpgh of a Cravens Unit. Can anyone please identify the location?

I would suggest it is the M&GN station at Cromer Beach.

Paul

Definitely Cromer Beach - I'm looking at a similar view of buildings and canopy from 1972.

Presumably the unit reversed there on its way to or from Sheringham. Not enough data to be sure, but I think the opposite platform face tended to be used more than the bay.

Many thanks Stewart. Did you note the units numbers?

Well, yes....and no! I've got them somewhere in an old spotting book, should also be written on the slide too. However I can't find them at the moment but will have a look over the next few days. Did you note that one car was green, the other blue/syp?

• RMweb Premium

Well, yes....and no! I've got them somewhere in an old spotting book, should also be written on the slide too. However I can't find them at the moment but will have a look over the next few days. Did you note that one car was green, the other blue/syp?

I don't remember too much about theRailtour, too be honest I thought we had a pair of early Derby Lightweight (79xxx series) on the trip. I didn't realise that the unit was a Green/Blue set until I saw your photogragh.

When I look through some of my Fathers Railway stuff I will no doubt ifind more details of this trip and some others, including "The 1500 Wandering Rail Tour" with 61572..

The Six Bells Junction website http://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/60s/670304mg.html reveals one of the Units was 56440.

Archived