Buffer Beam Colour on GYFE Locos

Guest 40-something

Guest 40-something

Hi Folks

I've almost finished off my HJ 27 in GYFE and Im trying to work out what colour the buffer beams were. All the photos I've seen of GYFE 27's, the loco's have been pretty filthy and its not easy to tell if the beams were red or black. I think its the latter, but not sure!

Does anyone have a definative answer?

Does anyone have a definative answer?

Nope, cos there isnt onesmile.gif

Green locos from new would have had red beams, some (but not all) would have acquired fresh black paint on them at the time of GFYE-ing. As ever it's down to a dated photo, so if it looks like mucky black, paint it mucky blackwink.gif

Trust that young Pixie fella to stir things up!

He's right you know... Crewe Works were still tarting up green 20s, 40s and 47s in the late 60s / early 70s wish freshly painted red buffer beams and full yellow ends ;) .( I'm guessing the 27s would have been done at Derby / St. Rollox at the time).

Nidge

Trust that young Pixie fella to stir things up!

I like being a pain. B)

I've got quite a few slides and prints of ex-works GFYE machines with repainted red buffer beams, if there is interest I'll dig them out and jot down some numbers. There's a nice example on Ebay atm - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CLASS-47-D1715-Crewe-8-69-Railway-Slide-/310245536943?pt=UK_Collectables_Railwayana_RL&hash=item483c1334af.

Pix

• 8 months later...

Best to find a piccy of the loco's you're running and take it from that. From the souce pics I've got to hand of ScR locos..

17's red and black (mostly black from my sources)

20's red and black

24's black but some are also yellow

26's red and black

27's as far as I can see were all black

29's as far as I can see black

29's Black

47's red and black

I've also seen rail blue Inverness 47's with red beams

Personally I think the black looks better so I tend to stick with that except for my class 24 (5090) which has the yellow beam as photographed in '72 :)

Archived