N Gauge Layout Plans

DuncanF

Now there's a point - why is the control panel so big? I reckon you could get away with something near half that size using a plug-in, hand held controller. However big it pans out, try hanging it off the front of the layout; secured by keyhole plates or bolts to make it removeable. The electrical connections can be made by a couple of D-connectors to one of the boards.

Finalize the track plan then get down to planning the panel. Don't make it too small because you will need room for connectors as well as switches, not to mention fingers and a soldering iron!

I find it sometimes useful to step back for a week and then look at something again. Having done that, and having seen some ideas in Adrian's thread, I've reworked the plan.

I've decided that cassettes are the way to go for the fiddle yard; so much stock and so few tracks in a fixed yard! I've also shrunk the control panels to a reasonable size and claimed back some baseboard for the business end of the layout. Finally, I've reworked the goods yard to include a run around and a route from there to the turntable and hence shed or services.

I'm itching to get going but I know that if I'm not 100% happy with the plan, I'll end up laying and uprooting as I've done a couple of times recently. So no more false starts!

Duncan

post-4356-063673200 1290101017_thumb.jpg

I really like how your plan is looking Duncan. Sounds like you'll be starting on yours before I am able to begin. I look forward to seeing how it turns out. Will you be starting a layout/construction topic?

Thanks for the original inspiration!

Hi Adrian,

I'm not sure I'm brave enough to start a construction thread. We'll see! The major blocker at the moment is the release of the Peco 3-way. Without that the run around in the platforms becomes a bit congested. But I can leave it out initially I guess. With it, I can also drop another at the neck of the goods yard to open that space up a bit.

As for inspiration, you're welcome, but I'm not sure I can claim ownership of this. Looking closely at it the other day, I realised it has the heart of CJ Freezer's Minories in it. I hadn't noticed previously tbh, but I guess we all absorb influences without noticing. Maybe all small termini can point to that as their origins...

I like what you've done with yours, and its' back story. Looking forward to seeing that progress.

Duncan

I had some spare time today so I've been playing around with some final adjustments. I've added some curves to the whole scene, but in doing so I've had to reverse the sense of the crossover outside the station to avoid points over the baseboard join. I've also liberally scattered 3-way points about the layout which save quite a bit of space and make things look less crowded.

I've spent half an hour shunting trains around in XTrackCAD to see if a Western plus four fits as required (it does) and if it's fun to operate, and it looks like it will be. Finally I look at this plan and think "I'm content". The only fly in the ointment is the dependency on Peco to deliver the 3-way next spring, so building works will have to be postponed for a while.

Duncan

post-4356-085908400 1290190189_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Looks good Duncan. The only suggestion that I have is to put the cattle dock on the other side of the siding to give more space for access to the goods shed. I hope that the 3 way turns up soon for you.

Archived