Just came across this.....

shortliner

Brilliant.... :wub:

Railroad Operated Pier Station....

the perfect exhibition layout.... :biggrin_mini2: :biggrin_mini2:

1 car float ..a dozen box cars...1 warehouse...

no locos no trackwork no controllers....just tell the audience the box cars are now being unloaded ....wait 5 mins ...and repeat .... :good_mini:

coat = :bye_mini:

Regards Trevor ....... :D

Brilliant.... :wub:

Railroad Operated Pier Station....

the perfect exhibition layout.... :biggrin_mini2: :biggrin_mini2:

1 car float ..a dozen box cars...1 warehouse...

no locos no trackwork no controllers....just tell the audience the box cars are now being unloaded ....wait 5 mins ...and repeat .... :good_mini:

coat = :bye_mini:

Regards Trevor ....... :D

How about a finescale equivalent to the Lionel unloading boxcar? :rolleyes:

Could they be Streetcar curves...? If so, it's quite a shallow radius as the two lines remain parallel instead of being eased out to avoid overhanging cars hitting each other.

Yes, they would be a Streetcar line - still horse drawn in 1902 - going from Battery Place and then a right turn onto West Street. See the attached photo - which was obviously taken from the same vantage point as the one on the website.

See the horse drawn Streetcar ?

Gil, known as Bill somedays ... B)

post-6744-006056700 1288892533_thumb.jpg

Ah ha , all becomes clear! - Thanks Bill - I thought they were tracks from the wharf/carfloat for the boxcars - just shows that I should NEVER assume!

PS - I think the two photos were taken very close in time, probably the same day,and only minutes apart - The boat and carfloats in the centre are the same, as is the wagon at left front of PRR warehouse and if you look at the shadows on the front left, they haven't moved very far. Looking at them (the shadows), I think yours was taken first.

And here is another view - slightly wider in scope - this is just the corner of a scanned in panoramic photo. I beleive that I got it off of the The Library of Congress > American Memory website - but I've been unable to locate it again - so maybe I got it from some other digital archive.

The only pier still standing is the one on the left of the photo, Pier A, once the southern most home of the many fire boats in Manhattan. That pier dates back to 1884-1886! That is the Jersey City Terminal of the Central of New Jersey across the Hudson (nee North) River.

See Pier A waterside photo

See Pier A article

The rest of the piers were taken down, and that area is now covered with landfill from the original World Trade Center build (back in the 1970s). It's now home to more parks, apartment blocks, hotels, etc. The area is called Battery Park City - how original a name :blink:

post-6744-007903500 1288894199_thumb.jpg

Btw the CNJ terminal is still there across the water (and you can get there by ferry from Manhattan). The interior is still as is - even the "Crusader" is listed on the platform signs, worth a quick visit if in town as is The High Line Park in Manhattan, don't forget.

Best, Pete.

A wonderful demonstration of how priceless old photographs can be and the foresight of presumably a 'company' cameraman shooting film for the archive ?

Another argument for retaining 'black and white' photography with its better definition, unmarred by bright colours :D

One picture is worth a thousand words !

Bob

Btw the CNJ terminal is still there across the water (and you can get there by ferry from Manhattan). The interior is still as is - even the "Crusader" is listed on the platform signs, worth a quick visit if in town as is The High Line Park in Manhattan, don't forget.

Best, Pete.

Thanks - I know that - unless you know me, then you wouldn't.

I was born and raised and lived most of my life in NYC. From 2002 thru 2007 (when I retired up to Vermont), I lived at 1 West Street (or better known as 17 Battery Place - home of many tug/towing/shipping companies, and location of their dispatchers for many years), ie the exact corner where those photos were taken. :D I also worked at 17 State Street at the Battery from 2002 thru 2007 - my office directly overlooked the upper Harbor - I took hundreds of photos of the marine goings on around the harbor.

I have many photos (never scanned in) of train shows at the CNJ Terminal and at the Hoboken Terminal - plus all of the digital ones I've taken in the last decade. :blink: I can even remember visiting all of the Jersey Rail Terminals - CNJ, PRR, Erie and DL&W (and taking trains to the other ones in Elizabeth, Journal Square, Newark and Patterson) when I was a kid.

Here is a short gallery of photos taken on Saturday, September 8th 2001 at the Hoboken Terminal for an event called The 2001 Hoboken Train Festival It was a very grey day with large chance of rain that never showed, so the crowd was a little small. I was told that Sunday did much better.

The attached photo is of 17 Battery Place (the one with the big dish) with 1 West Street behind it (the one with the curved front). West Street is just to the left of these buildings. The front building was built in 1904, and the high extension in 1910. This photo was taken from 17 State Street.

To read some about the building, visit this great Flickr photo, and look at the references under the photo - The Whitehall Building - especially the Berenice Abbot one - another great photo.

I probably should have mentioned some of this in my posts, but I wasn't really thinking, sorry. I'm also sorry if this sounds like a rant - it's not one. It's just a wet, windy, grey day up here in Vermont today.

post-6744-011894500 1288988004_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

We just spent 2 weeks "camping" (in our motorhome) across the river, towards the right of the picture about where the smokestack is. The Jersey side is now much less industrial; the area around the railroad terminal is a park and then it's a marina and assorted reclamation projects and parking lots.

Archived